Got a new bike today.

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Spleen

Day of the Rope!
    Rating - 100%
    31   0   0
    Jul 26, 2010
    Jefferson Parish
    Take a motorcycle safety foundation course as mentioned above.
    Here's the Louisiana State Police's link:
    http://www.lsp.org/motorcycle.html

And their schedule for the rest of the year:
    http://www.lsp.org/pdf/motorcycle_schedule2015.pdf

And the national MSF site:
    http://msf-usa.org/

And here's the Aerostich website (they make some of the best riding gear available plus a whole lot of other great odds and endt to make motorcycling safer and more enjoyable):
    http://www.aerostich.com/

I used to only ride a motorcycle and have logged well over 100k miles over the years.
    Now I commute sometimes and ride on tours when I can.
    ALWAYS wear your gear and ALWAYS buy the best gear you can afford.
    If it's too hot to wear a helmet, jacket and boots, it's too hot to ride.
    And don't be a douchebag- be responsible.
    It only takes one bad time on the bike to change the course of your life.
    A human being can die from a standing fall- imagine what a fall on a moving object can do to you.
    Be safe and have fun.
    :)

Cochise

is not here
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 19, 2012
    Calhoun
    At first, completely avoid all high traffic areas. Stick to back roads and side streets for a few months. You have a lifetime to learn to ride, so take it slow and develop your skills before you go riding in high risk environments like main street or the interstate.

Now that I think about it, you should never take a bike that small on the interstate at all.

And replacing those knobby tires with street tires will make learning to ride much more comfortable and easy.

Last edited:

rcm192

Sic semper tyrannis
    Staff member
    Rating - 100%
    111   0   0
    May 31, 2010
    New Orleans area
    At first, completely avoid all high traffic areas. Stick to back roads and side streets for a few months. You have a lifetime to learn to ride, so take it slow and develop your skills before you go riding in high risk environments like main street or the interstate.

Now that I think about it, you should never take a bike that small on the interstate at all.

And replacing those knobby tires with street tires will make learning to ride much more comfortable and easy.

Yea interstate travel was not my intention by any means with this purchase just in town commutting and some dirt on the weekends

shrxfn

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 25, 2015
    SWLA
    You can also try Revzilla and Competition accessories for gear as well. Normally I don't advocate Cycle Gear stuff to much because they are the low end some times on quality but I do like there riding boots. They were the most comfortable pair I had.

Hi-Viz helmets and/or white helmets seems to stand out the most.

As mentioned before take the MSF class not only the added benefit of learning good stuff but if you pass you can take the certificate to the DMV and get your motorcycle endorsement without taking a test. DO NOT take the class during summer. You will cook. I know from experience you need to wear your gear all the time and it is hot.

_Big_Al_

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 28, 2012
    Lafayette
    Protect your space!!!!!!
    1. When Riding alone ride in the tire grove that is closer to the center line for whichever lane you are in. People will think they have room to go between you and a vehicle in the other lane.
    2. Ride in the tire groves, there is oil especially at intersections in the middle of the lane. The exception to this rule is that water may collet in the tire grove be aware.
    3. Keep your space from commercial vehicles, a slung thread or blowout is a nuisance in a cage but death to a rider.
    4. Stay in the opposite lane on any highway that has those death trap cables they are putting between lanes. If you are run off the road or have to go off in an evasive maneuver those cables will be like a cheese grater.

NOShooter

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 12, 2014
    New Orleans
    Seems like solid info. Im doing my best impression to act like a sponge and soak up as much as I can. As i know that only so much knowledge can be gained from reading others experiences versus experiencing things for myself.

Keep em comin. Thanks guys!

Also do you guys have any high visibility mods in particular that you would recommend? Certain products or brands. I like the idea of a flashing led tail light.

Many moto style bikes can be retrofitted with a ducati monster LED that has a flashing brake indicator.

Also , as ridiculous as it sounds, get a bright ass dayglo safety helmet.

I would also wholeheartedly recommend retro-reflective pinstriping on the plastics. It makes you look like a bit of a Tron doofus, but there is no missing it at night.

Like this:

IMG_20131130_155347_zps888a0466.jpg

The white pinstripe tape costs like $25 a roll. Get two rolls. wont see it during the day... but damn is it bright at night ( which is good).

I bomb around town on the above bike regularly. While i could take it on the highway, I don't. ( its a 626 punched out to 671). No one misses me at night. Why headlights hit the pinstripe, it is bright as hell and makes people pay attention.

Last edited:

NOShooter

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 12, 2014
    New Orleans
    I saw Tron Doofus the other night on a street bike. It looked like he had led light tubing all over his bike. It was very effective in him being seen by me.

I've seen a few of those guys... Its actually not particularly legal to have powered lights like that.

Retroreflective pinstriping, however, is completely okay.

CN: I do not own a "street bike"... supermoto or bust!

Moondew

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 21, 2011
    BR
    THIS. The State MSF Course is cheaper but may be harder to get into, either way it is 100% worth it for the experience, not to mention the insurance discount.

Buy good gear and wear it. All the time. Being sweaty for a few minutes in traffic is not worth months of skin grafts or worse.

The State course (Dept of Public Safety LSP.Org/motorcycle.html) is not hard to get into. Unless you dont register. People seem to think it is when they try to register at the last minute. It's real popular and a great deal but at a few locations it sometimes fills almost a month in advance.

The 2016 schedule will probably be posted inside the next couple of weeks

Last edited:

topgunz1

Gold Member
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Sep 13, 2006
    Prairieville
    The State course (Dept of Public Safety LSP.Org/motorcycle.html) is not hard to get into. Unless you dont register. People seem to think it is when they try to register at the last minute. It's real popular and a great deal but at a few locations it sometimes fills almost a month in advance.

The 2016 schedule will probably be posted inside the next couple of weeks

You'd be the man to know ;)

I took it back in 2007 or so and there were only a few sessions that booked up well in advance, glad there are more classes now, it's totally worth it!

Moondew

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 21, 2011
    BR
    DPS has 10 training sites statewide and hopefully a few more in the future unless the limited budget gets shreded

rcm192

Sic semper tyrannis
    Staff member
    Rating - 100%
    111   0   0
    May 31, 2010
    New Orleans area
    I took the written portion of the endorsement test yesterday. My buddy is letting me borrow his bike to complete the driving portion tomorrow. Ill have to take a class when I can schedule some time off from work. I really like the idea of it; both the educational portion and the insurance discounts.

Top Bottom