Group Buy??

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • my-rifle

I make my own guns.
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Dec 12, 2007
    Jefferson Parish
    OK today I DID look under the "Welcome Mat". No AKs - damn! I know they say two weeks, but I'm anxious. I added a case of 5.45mm ammo along with you guys, and I'm looking forward to putting it on top of the pile.

my-rifle

I make my own guns.
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Dec 12, 2007
    Jefferson Parish
    Today I rode my scooter to work, and it rained. And it was cold. I had to come home in the rain, and I was uncomfortable. Well just as I was approaching mt street the UPS truck came around the corner, and the driver who always kids me about my "Rambo Stuff" saw me, and gave me a little swerve like he was coming at me. I knew he was kidding, so I waved. Then it occured to me why he had swerved.

The kits are in!

18 of them came in three boxes. Now here's the deal. I inspected them all, and they are all complete 1980s kits as far as I could see except for two 1970's kits. The wood on ALL of them looks terrible, but will refinish just fine. Very little damage - just a dull finish. All except two are matching numbers kits, but almost all have some degree of rust on them. You are going to have to refinish the metal on these kits. Big surprise. We knew that. There is one kit though that has bad surface rust. It will brush off, but there is bad pitting on the outside of the barrel. Now the good news. Every one of them has a beautiful bore. Several are almost certainly unfired with completely clean gas pistons.

Now here's the way we're going to distribute them. I'm going to get everyone together over here at my house or at the Stennis range on the same day. I suggest this Sunday the 27th. I will put a numbered slip of paper inside each kit bag, and a matching numbered slip inside a hat with all the other numbered slips. With everyone together each guy will take out a number from the hat, and get the corresponding kit. That way no one can accuse me or anyone else of shady dealings. I refuse to do a first-come, first-served thing on these. It's just not right.

CajunTim

Premium CoonAss Member
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Oct 19, 2006
    Mandeville, LA
    Sounds good to me, not sure if everyone will make it there on Sunday but I'm in.

Bam,

Will you be around Sunday for me to drop mine off and whomever else's that wants me to bring mine to you?

Nevermind Bam I remembered you were going shooting.

Last edited:

BR 870

Standing behind you...
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 23, 2007
    Baton Rouge
    Here's my problem with that idea. One of us that has several AKs, its not so big a deal, but I don't want one of the new guys who could only afford one kit for their first AK to end up with one of the bad ones...

Manimal

Get'n Duffy!
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    May 27, 2007
    Louisiana
    I'll be spending the night in Slidell or Destrehan on Saturday evening, so I should be able to make it to either place. I cant really afford to shoot right now unfortunately so it doesn't matter to me where we meet. I have 2 kits of the lot, my first AK's...1 will be a Pistol and the other a Rifle...and I'm about as giddy as a schoolgirl on cupcakes. :D

I'll probably smell like a bar...sex if I'm lucky...and will probably be cross eyed.

Don't worry, I drive with my knee.
    ^^^ j/k :-P Married & engaged female friends...otherwise I'd be dating them, and 3 beers is my limit. :)

Last edited:

spanky

Gold Member
    Rating - 100%
    141   0   0
    Sep 12, 2006
    Gonzales, LA
    Here's my problem with that idea. One of us that has several AKs, its not so big a deal, but I don't want one of the new guys who could only afford one kit for their first AK to end up with one of the bad ones...

Honestly, the way he's doing it seems the fairest. It would be the exact same way if you ordered a kit on your lonesome and they pulled a random one out of the pile to send to you.

:dunno:

my-rifle

I make my own guns.
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Dec 12, 2007
    Jefferson Parish
    There's only one kit that is damaged to the point that it will still be pitted after you refinish the metal. The rest look like the rust will come off with a wire brush leaving only scratches that a good sandblasting will get out. When you see the kits you're going to say, "God! Those look like disasters!", but trust me that stuff will disappear when you redo the metal.

Bambam it looks like we're going to have to have a bluing party after all the builds are done.

BR 870

Standing behind you...
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 23, 2007
    Baton Rouge
    Well, I won't be there Sunday. If you do the slip thing, pull my name and either hold the kit for me, or give the kit to Bam...

my-rifle

I make my own guns.
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Dec 12, 2007
    Jefferson Parish
    There's a guy over on AKFiles who builds AKs professionally, and he swears by the modern paint finishes. He says they're a lot more durable than bluing. His name is GunPlumber. I do not like him personally, but he has some good points there. Painted guns do not rust. He's right there. That is, as long as the paint stays on them. Paint is more durable than bluing. On the other hand it tends to wear off the rivet heads very quickly, and then it looks like hell. Guncoat seems to be the best of the lot when it comes to paint, and I believe it's a spray-on finish. Parkerizing is another excellent finish that holds a lot of oil and prevents rust very well. I prefer bluing, because it prevents rust pretty well, and it looks really good - better than any other finish.

But to answer your question - yes, Duracoat makes bluing unnecessary.

my-rifle

I make my own guns.
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Dec 12, 2007
    Jefferson Parish
    I can't say much about Duracoat. Guncote is the more popular product. I painted my first two AKs with Alumahyde II, and it seemed like a pretty tough coating, but after that I invested about two months of study in trying to find out how to blue rifles in my backyard, and now I blue them all. Bluing is a fragile finish, but it looks so much better than paint that there is really no decision for me.

my-rifle

I make my own guns.
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Dec 12, 2007
    Jefferson Parish
    What's the vote look like guys? I plan on going to the Stennis Buffer zone tomorrow, and we could do the distribution there, or ya'll can come to my house tomorrow after 2PM and distribute the kits there. Would ya'll prefer a different day?

Here are the kits I got.

3 - IPLAYBASS
    3 - CajunTim
    1 - CHADWICKMS
    7 - ROCKEMUP
    1 - BR 870
    2 - ConstitutionLover
    1 - ReddBull

Speak up.

Manimal

Get'n Duffy!
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    May 27, 2007
    Louisiana
    Tomorrow would be best for me because I'll be staying the night out in those parts, and I could actually get wherever you want me to be whenever you want me to be there to pick them up :)

I'm excited!!!

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    MiyaMarukutsune
    Top Bottom