Gun store owner and son killed in fight with angry customer

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • velociraptor

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 8, 2010
    Greater New Orleans Area
    I have never been in a gun store that did not have at least one video camera at least not since before the year 2000.

I honestly cannot imagine letting the general public (who fake slip and falls all the time) onto my property unless I have cameras recording them. Any retail place should spend the $1,000 for even just 4 cameras and a recording device.

DAVE_M

_________
    Rating - 100%
    32   0   0
    Apr 17, 2009
    ________
    I have never been in a gun store that did not have at least one video camera at least not since before the year 2000.

I honestly cannot imagine letting the general public (who fake slip and falls all the time) onto my property unless I have cameras recording them. Any retail place should spend the $1,000 for even just 4 cameras and a recording device.

I would expect ANY FFL to have cameras, even if they are a small operation. I know of small shops around town, that might sell $1,000 of merchandise per week, and they have at least two cameras.

velociraptor

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 8, 2010
    Greater New Orleans Area
    I can think of only one of two results from this altercation.
    1. Every customer gladly pays any fees a gun store might charge, or
    B. No gunstore will ever charge a handling fee again.

Here is a third possibility.

Charge the fee but if a customer balks waive the fee.

It is not worth $25 to **** off or lose a customer. Why have someone saying **** about you for $25....or get into a fist fight that escalates into a knife/gun fight.

IMO there is only good will will generated when a store waives a fee they are supposed to collect.

That and if you are too cheap to pay a minor and reasonable fee for services rendered; you need to stop going to hard working merchants and wasting their time. There is a reason businesses fire customers. This is a very good reason to tell a customer please go somewhere else I do not want your business.

Last edited:

Emperor

Seriously Misunderstood!
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 7, 2011
    Nether region
    Here is a third possibility.

Charge the fee but if a customer balks waive the fee.

It is not worth $25 to **** off or lose a customer. Why have someone saying **** about you for $25....or get into a fist fight that escalates into a knife/gun fight.

IMO there is only good will will generated when a store waives a fee they are supposed to collect.

That and if you are too cheap to pay a minor and reasonable fee for services rendered; you need to stop going to hard working merchants and wasting their time. There is a reason businesses fire customers. This is a very good reason to tell a customer please go somewhere else I do not want your business.

And a fourth!

Maybe the McCools are assholes!

:dunno:

velociraptor

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 8, 2010
    Greater New Orleans Area
    And a fourth!

Maybe the McCools are assholes!

:dunno:

Yes indeed.

That is why I wrote this.

Yes the McCools saved $25 ... and now need a gofund me page to pay for the $500,000 in medical bills.

Stupidity frequently has an ROI like this. Sorry they get zero sympathy from me for this.

Last edited:

kenny

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 29, 2010
    Lacombe, LA
    Well, if I bought a firearm that had a problem back to the dealer that I purchased it from, I'd be pretty pissed off about a $25 fee, especially if the dealer gave me a fee or firearm choice. According to DaveM's account, that just may be what happened.

I can see things getting heated in a situation like that, not shoot the owner heated, but definitely loud boisterous you'll never see another dime from me, or anyone with ears heated.

If, someone starts whacking me with a machete, and I'm able, I'd shoot him too.

This version of the story makes sense, even if it's a out of the ordinary type of sense.

Seventeen year old somehow thinks using a machete to get rid of loud angry customer seems like a good idea.

Loud angry customer doesn't want to become a quiet, cold, leaking customer.

Loud angry customer shoots moron with machete.

Dad doesn't want his kid shot, and grabs a gun.

Loud angry customer still doesn't want to become a quiet, cold leaky customer, and shoots gun holding gun shop owner.

Somewhere in there gun shop side gets a shot off, and customer side starts leaking.

drpc

Across the State Line
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 29, 2010
    Picayune, MS
    Well, if I bought a firearm that had a problem back to the dealer that I purchased it from, I'd be pretty pissed off about a $25 fee, especially if the dealer gave me a fee or firearm choice. According to DaveM's account, that just may be what happened.

I can see things getting heated in a situation like that, not shoot the owner heated, but definitely loud boisterous you'll never see another dime from me, or anyone with ears heated.

If, someone starts whacking me with a machete, and I'm able, I'd shoot him too.

This version of the story makes sense, even if it's a out of the ordinary type of sense.

Seventeen year old somehow thinks using a machete to get rid of loud angry customer seems like a good idea.

Loud angry customer doesn't want to become a quiet, cold, leaking customer.

Loud angry customer shoots moron with machete.

Dad doesn't want his kid shot, and grabs a gun.

Loud angry customer still doesn't want to become a quiet, cold leaky customer, and shoots gun holding gun shop owner.

Somewhere in there gun shop side gets a shot off, and customer side starts leaking.

Nothing about this whole situation "makes sense".

I bought a brand new revolver last year and discovered a problem with it within 30 days. The retailer told me to call the manufacturer and they had me ship it to them to fix. I've never bought a used gun but I assume every retailer has his own policy. But before I'd plunk down money I'd ask the retailer what his warranty is on a second hand guns.

There's more versions of what happened in Henleyfield than there are pine trees in Pearl River County, and the only one that matters is the one the District Attorney tells the Grand Jury.

velociraptor

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 8, 2010
    Greater New Orleans Area

There is a huge gulf between complaining loudly/name calling and knife/gun fighting.

If the issue is $25 (not life,health safety related matters) anyone with any sense will de-escalate the matter or at least not escalate it into something that will get them arrested ...or dead.

Some people' sole purpose in life is to provide a living example of what not to do. I suggest that this incident is an example (not sure who now) of at least one such person.

Last edited:

kenny

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 29, 2010
    Lacombe, LA
    There is a huge gulf between complaining loudly/name calling and knife/gun fighting.

If the issue is $25 (not life,health safety related matters) anyone with any sense will de-escalate the matter or at least not escalate it.

While I agree with you, I did a stint in retail, and I promise you there are far more people without sense than with.

What I'm getting at is that a 17 y/o young man doesn't make the best decisions, nor do scared parents.

Knife mentioned by Cheif Deputy: http://www.hattiesburgamerican.com/story/news/2016/01/26/no-charges-probe-continues-gun-shop-shootout/79345340/

MALIBU12

Rating - 100%
    71   0   2
    Sep 16, 2008
    slidell
    I would expect ANY FFL to have cameras, even if they are a small operation. I know of small shops around town, that might sell $1,000 of merchandise per week, and they have at least two cameras.

My wife said she noticed one when we were there ,,, was it working ??? I Have No idea , It's a small community , I guess they felt safe ...

MALIBU12

Rating - 100%
    71   0   2
    Sep 16, 2008
    slidell
    While I agree with you, I did a stint in retail, and I promise you there are far more people without sense than with.

What I'm getting at is that a 17 y/o young man doesn't make the best decisions, nor do scared parents.

Knife mentioned by Cheif Deputy: http://www.hattiesburgamerican.com/story/news/2016/01/26/no-charges-probe-continues-gun-shop-shootout/79345340/

That story had the mother being married to her son ,,,and that the son was 43 .The elder was Jason (The Father ) ..... geeez.:rolleyes:

kenny

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 29, 2010
    Lacombe, LA
    That story had the mother being married to her son ,,,and that the son was 43 .The elder was Jason (The Father ) ..... geeez.:rolleyes:

Author may have had McConfusion. The customers being Chalmations supports the loud, boisterous, and belligerent theory. I kid, I kid.

I don't think the shooting was over $25. Someone did something stupid, and **** got serious real quick. Two folks wound up dead, and two others seriously injured.

drpc

Across the State Line
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 29, 2010
    Picayune, MS
    Author may have had McConfusion. The customers being Chalmations supports the loud, boisterous, and belligerent theory. I kid, I kid.

I don't think the shooting was over $25. Someone did something stupid, and **** got serious real quick. Two folks wound up dead, and two others seriously injured.

Everyone is saying 'I can't believe it was over $25" but how much money is involved in the Road Rage incidents that end up with gunplay? $0.00 !

noob

enthusiast
    Silver Member
    Rating - 100%
    41   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    New Orleans

People are just argumentative now a days, with super short fuses. There's ZERO accountability, everyone thinks everything is someone else's fault and they shouldn't be liable. It's to the point where I sometimes want out of the customer service industry. Between employees and customers, I get an ear full all day, and it's ALWAYS MY fault apparently. Even when their insurance goes up in price, when the employee gets caught using the cell phone on the job, when they do something wrong that costs me 1000's of dollars, it's never anyones fault and they will argue over and over again trying to prove their point....

drpc

Across the State Line
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 29, 2010
    Picayune, MS
    Actually that is a damn good point, that may be a better perspective.

Still it is rare for a road rage incident to result in a death much less two.

Just in this month.

Arizona http://www.foxnews.com/us/2016/01/1...e-student-in-road-rage-shooting-arrested.html

Texas http://www.foxnews.com/us/2016/01/28/texas-driver-fatally-shot-in-apparent-road-rage-incident.html

Washington http://www.thenewstribune.com/news/local/crime/article56602333.html

People are crazy.

Last edited:
    Top Bottom