Had a oh crap moment last night, need opinions pics uploaded

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • oppsImissed

Rating - 94.6%
    35   2   0
    Sep 3, 2012
    somewhere south of I12
    I was shooting my Tanfoglio last night right before dark. Brent told me to put a few hundred rounds through it and then bring it back for a trigger job and what not. I was shooting some 115 grain Winchester White Box. I had one mag of 16 left so I fugured Id just dump the mag as it was starting to get a little dark. I put the full mag in, racked the slide and let it go. BAM!!! gun discharged, bright burning flash, hands and eyes felt like they were on fire. That was the brighest flash Ive ever seen. It came from the chamber, not the muzzle. I dropped the mag and tried to eject the case. Slide was jammed.

Now here is the weird part. I was able to eject the case, the primer shows no sign of firing pin touching it. The upper magwell area is full of powder, and the damn bullet is stuck in the barrel. Squib?? How??? Primer was not set off. Out of battery discharge? No signs of inpact to the case. Why is most of the powder unburnt and still in pistol? The flash was bright enough that my eyes felt like I welded without a hood. I missed the match today due to eyes still hurting. I have a couple small burns to my face. Thank God we had eye and ear protection on. And thank God Dana was standing behind me. Lightning had got on my butt earlier yesterday about keeping the muzzle down range, Im glad I was thinking about that last night or this could have been much worse..

So, some one tell me what the hell happened. Im gonna take it apart in a few and take some pics to post.

Last edited:

oppsImissed

Rating - 94.6%
    35   2   0
    Sep 3, 2012
    somewhere south of I12
    guhyzu8y.jpg
    uvesenu5.jpg
    upaqeru7.jpg
    umu4ybu5.jpg
    yhagubyt.jpg
    3ute8yte.jpg
    dujugamu.jpg

Sent from my XT907 using Tapatalk

DBMJR1

Madame Mayor's Fiefdom
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jul 27, 2008
    New Orleans, La.
    No crimp on bullet which traveled forward, into the breech, when the slide slammed home on it????
    Coincidentally while someone decided to arc weld next to you.
    Even I have a hard time believing my story.

Whatever happened, I don't think that the components of the cartridge you are showing us can explain the bright flash of light.

Last edited:

oppsImissed

Rating - 94.6%
    35   2   0
    Sep 3, 2012
    somewhere south of I12
    i have no clue what happened. I just dont know. So maybe the slide going forward and stopping made the bullet lodge into the barrel? Dumping the powder? Well what the hell was the loud pop and the flash?

Last edited:

oppsImissed

Rating - 94.6%
    35   2   0
    Sep 3, 2012
    somewhere south of I12
    Exactly. Could it have been the round prior, then this one fed?

Im starting to think that I was looking at the muzzle when I released the slide. So lets say maybe this was a slam fire? Maybe I had my finger on the trigger when I released the slide? So then this was the next round and the bullet just dislodged from case dumping the powder when I finally got the slide opened?
    I give up.

DBMJR1

Madame Mayor's Fiefdom
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jul 27, 2008
    New Orleans, La.
    Never give up.

I don't think it was a slam fire. I think I see the anvil of the primer in one of your pics. Try firing the primer to see if it goes bang.

DBMJR1

Madame Mayor's Fiefdom
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jul 27, 2008
    New Orleans, La.
    Then it wasn't a slam fire.

Perhaps the round prior was over charged, or had a detonation?

Then it imparted enough energy to 'pull' the bullet using inertia. A loose crimp may have contributed.

If I'm right, big if, then your pistol held an over pressure situation, ejected the offending brass, and fed the next round. Without obvious damage. Good pistol.

I'd inspect the entire firearm and magazine well, after a through cleaning.

If no faults are found, shoot the snot out of it.

EDIT
    If you are shooting reloads, I would pull all of the cartridges from that lot. If you have leftover commercial ammunition, do not dispose of it. Keep it. The manufacturer may want a sample.
    This almost has to be ammunition related in my opinion, but I've been wrong before.

Last edited:

flyperk

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 21, 2014
    Lafayette, La
    There are a few items that like physics, which must be. Fire for ignition, fuel for fire or combustion, and some release of pressure. Consider this; the cartridge you are studying did not have a spark from the primer. Question, when the primer was tested was it a normal pop or a weak one?
    The bullet was lodged in the first part of the barrel so some pressure pushed it there. That means a round discharged, maybe not the one you were reviewing but one did.
    The flash you saw probably did come from the chamber area since you stated your hands were burning as well. This is unless you were holding the barrel....just saying.
    A slam fire could have occurred but usually results in the round being normally fired, may not completely cycle but usually launched the bullet out of the barrel for it is usually closed when the discharge occurs.
    Im not sure exactly how this could have occurred without marks on the primer, I have been reloading for years and have not seen this before. The one thing I would absolutely recommend: Take this weapon to a "TRUE" gunsmith, not a shade tree or wanna-be gunsmith but one that is professionally trained or send it back to the factory for inspection.
    Wish I could help more...

Top Bottom