Ham Radio info??

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • MikeSlater

Sportsman 'N' Paradise
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Jun 23, 2010
    Walker, LA
    Finding a unit that does hf/vhf/uhf with wattage is pretty difficult to do on a budget. The Yaesu 991A seems to be the only one of the "big 3" that have all those features, without being 2k.

drill sgt

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 19, 2019
    denham springs ,la
    The multi-multi-band radios are ok if you like having all of you eggs in one basket. What I am saying is that if a problem pops up and the radio needs to go in for repair then you have NO radio"s till fixed and returned. The initial cost of some of the the new radios vs used can be weighed against a new radio would normally come with a factory warranty. Performance of a station is directly related to the ENTIRE ANTENNA SYSTEM . . A cheap $100.00 radio connected to a properly tuned antenna system could possibly outperform a $10,000 radio setup into a substandard / improperly tuned antenna system be you mobile operation or fixed base station operation or hand held radio. Some operators enjoy working QRP / QRPP which is low power ( 5 watts or less power output) and talk around the world. Welcome to the hobby. Orginal ticket issued to me Jan 1978..... >>KL7JIU >> drill sgt.

MikeSlater

Sportsman 'N' Paradise
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Jun 23, 2010
    Walker, LA
    Yes sir, im keeping that in mind and part of the budget. I hadnt thought about the egg basket senario, makes sense. I just want to make sure im getting a good radio that will work well.

Kenwood D710G looks pretty good, with a good warranty.

MikeSlater

Sportsman 'N' Paradise
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Jun 23, 2010
    Walker, LA
    Welp, I pulled the trigger.

Yaesu FTM-400XDR
    Kenwood KPS-15
    Comet GP-1 antenna
    30ft LMR 400
    MFJ 873 SWR Meter

Buy once, cry once, right???

Ill keep the HF stuff separate when I get to that point.

Danny Abear

Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Aug 11, 2007
    Brusly, La.

Yaesu FTM-400XDR
    Kenwood KPS-15
    Comet GP-1 antenna
    30ft LMR 400
    MFJ 873 SWR Meter

Good choices, you need a jumper from radio to wattmeter; 30' of coax seems kinda short

MikeSlater

Sportsman 'N' Paradise
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Jun 23, 2010
    Walker, LA
    Good choices, you need a jumper from radio to wattmeter; 30' of coax seems kinda short

I just added a 3 ft lmr 400 jumper, lol. Im going to use a mast mount on the side of my shop for now. 30 ft should be plenty for that. When I move that tower i will need more for sure.

MikeSlater

Sportsman 'N' Paradise
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Jun 23, 2010
    Walker, LA
    Don'tt know about a 400 but supplied cable is probably for updating the firmware in the radio; to program, u want RT Systems cable and software=$50

I was looking at that website, the only version close is for a ftm-400, i dont know if thats for the 400xdr or not. I emailed their sales dept. Supposedly the cable it comes with is for programming, and you can also load from a sd card.

drill sgt

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 19, 2019
    denham springs ,la
    That usb cable is probably for programing the radio. The software is probably available free from like "Chirp" or other sites. The factory software is probably not free but you are able to purchase it . The "RT Systems" software and cable can be purchased seperately as needed and is very user friendly in my experience. Some of cables have specific chips making the radio specific and some of the cables are generic application so be careful with some of the e-bay type sites. .......................... ......... drill sgt.

MikeSlater

Sportsman 'N' Paradise
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Jun 23, 2010
    Walker, LA
    I was looking at the Yaesu site and theres free downloadable programming software. It looks identical to the RT systems. I am thinking RT Systems either provides it to yaesu or they modify it. Their version has more features, mainly the ability to import from sources. The version from yaesu doesnt. I installed it to see. lol. Im a bit anxious to get started.

charlie12

Not a Fed.
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 21, 2008
    Pride

Yaesu FTM-400XDR
    Kenwood KPS-15
    Comet GP-1 antenna
    30ft LMR 400
    MFJ 873 SWR Meter

I have a Diamond X510 antenna for dual band and 1/2" Heliax at home.

Danny Abear

Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Aug 11, 2007
    Brusly, La.
    I was looking at the Yaesu site and theres free downloadable programming software. It looks identical to the RT systems. I am thinking RT Systems either provides it to yaesu or they modify it. Their version has more features, mainly the ability to import from sources. The version from yaesu doesnt. I installed it to see. lol. Im a bit anxious to get started.

DO NOT try chirp programming on a yaesu radio, it will 'brick' them and Yaesu will not touch them after also sent you PM

MikeSlater

Sportsman 'N' Paradise
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Jun 23, 2010
    Walker, LA
    LOL, ping pong, gets me every time. I heard back from RT Systems sales, they said the FTM400 software was the one I needed and to use the cable that comes with the radio. $25 bucks is way better than $60 bucks. Woot!
    Im looking at the Yaesu FT3DR, am I right thinking that you can use the ftm-400dxr in a vehicle as like a mobile repeater for the ht?

drill sgt

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 19, 2019
    denham springs ,la
    LOL, ping pong, gets me every time. I heard back from RT Systems sales, they said the FTM400 software was the one I needed and to use the cable that comes with the radio. $25 bucks is way better than $60 bucks. Woot!
    Im looking at the Yaesu FT3DR, am I right thinking that you can use the ftm-400dxr in a vehicle as like a mobile repeater for the ht?
    ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ if the ftm-400dxr and the FT3dr has a crossband repeat mode then yes ... using the mobile as a repeater is possible . Suggest that you make sure that you use HEAVY squelch to keep any unwanted signal from activating the mobile radio from unwarranted transmissions . .......................................................................... drill sgt.

Last edited:

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    SSWEEEE
    Top Bottom