Hand gun registration question

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Specularius

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Oct 5, 2008
    N31 20, W92 14
    The make/model/serial number is put on the form by the dealer, however it is at no time transmitted to the ATF/NICS. If you commit a crime the ATF can look up if you had your name run thru NICS and then physically go to that dealer and check the files to see what was purchased but there is no "registration database" of who owns what gun etc etc.
    Dealers are required to keep 4473's for 20 years or until they stop having an FFL, if that occours the ATF will pick the records up and store them the remaining time.

~B~

This is wrong information! There is no way that any LE angency can check to see if you have ever had an NICS check done. That is why all records have to be destroyed. The way it actually works is an agent of the BATF&E gets the shipping log from the manufactuer and traces that firearm to the ditrubitor, then to the point of sale. The agent then has to go to the point of sale and view all the 4473's until they find the person that bought that particular firearm. The last step is all done by hand, no computers.

SSaltz

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Aug 9, 2010
    Baton Rouge
    If a gun is found at a crime scene a letter is written to the manufacturer with a request of what distributor the gun was originally sold to. That distributor is then sent a letter asking what store the gun was sent to. Then a letter or call is made to that store asking for information on who bought it. If your wife originally bought it they will contact her first, all she has to say is that she gave it to you as a present (all perfectly legal as long as you don't have a criminal record). If she says she doesn't know where it went she better have a good alibi for when the crime was committed.

Tim67

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 20, 2010
    EBR
    I've never had a serial number listed on the form while filling it out. Maybe they wait to find out if you are approved before writing it in? Either way good info from you guys.
    The dealer doesn't enter the serial # until he's sure you won't change your mind and pick another gun. The NICS operator only asks if it's a handgun or a long gun.

aroundlsu

Bayou Photo Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Dec 21, 2007
    Baton Rouge
    I don't know how you guys do it, but I always spend 14 days researching and lusting after all my gun purchases. I am on day 7 right now on an FNP 45 tactical.

scottjajr

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 29, 2009
    Oakdale
    I've had a dealer tell me that a 4473 registers the gun to me and if I was to sell it, Iwould need to come in and have the buyer fill out one to transfer it to them.

lsu fan

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 9, 2008
    Metry
    I've had a dealer tell me that a 4473 registers the gun to me and if I was to sell it, Iwould need to come in and have the buyer fill out one to transfer it to them.

Academy? lol

It blows my mind that people who sell guns don't have a full understanding of the gun laws.

Rahllin

Geaux Tigers!
    Gold Member
    Rating - 100%
    78   0   0
    Feb 8, 2008
    Baton Rouge, LA
    Academy? lol

It blows my mind that people who sell guns don't have a full understanding of the gun laws.

I work at Academy, and I know a thing or two about gun laws... a lot more than most of my customers who come in spurting nonsense... see its a two way street. Some employees might not know what the hell they are talking about, but their are a whole lot more customers who come in running their mouths not knowing what the hell they are talking about either, and that is one of my pet peeves. If you feel so obliged to come up to another customer and start spouting off stupid stuff, know what you are talking about. I hate having to butt in just to make someone feel stupid...

This is wrong information! There is no way that any LE angency can check to see if you have ever had an NICS check done. That is why all records have to be destroyed. The way it actually works is an agent of the BATF&E gets the shipping log from the manufactuer and traces that firearm to the ditrubitor, then to the point of sale. The agent then has to go to the point of sale and view all the 4473's until they find the person that bought that particular firearm. The last step is all done by hand, no computers.

The last step is NOT always done by hand. I have been selling guns at Academy for 2 years, and Academy, and I am pretty sure all FFL's are required to keep two(2) different types of record. Academy has (as required) all 4473's filed by month, and is required to keep them for 20 years, until the store closes, OR if the FFL number is changed (which happened for ALL Louisiana Academy's back in September of 2011, as the business name of Academy changed, a new FFL license was acquired). Academy also keeps an electronic disposition log for ALL gun sales from the date the store opened. This log is basically just a database that can be searched through by various data fields such as, customer name, serial number, or SKU number of gun. These can be narrowed down by a date range as well. So, if a person buys a gun from Academy, and it gets stolen, they need their serial number for the police report... most people for some reason keep no record of their serial numbers, so they come here. All we have to do is type in their name and up pops every gun sold to someone with that exact name. Then we just match their Driver's License number to what is in the record, and we can give them the serial number for that gun, or print out the electronic dispostion report for that particular transaction.

CaptainMorgan

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 25, 2011
    baton rouge
    rahllin speaks the truth. There was a problem when putting my info through their computer last gun i bought. (some error saying i bought a handgun within five days) Guy behind the counter pulled up the records of a pistol i had bought 6 years ago and knew exactly what it was and what day i purchased it. it cleared up the issue and i was good to go without more paperwork. Smaller FLL's might only keep paper records but the larger places that enter things into their computers certainly keep very very good records of who bought what.

vern10mm

*Banned*
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 18, 2011
    Kenner, LA
    I work at Academy, and I know a thing or two about gun laws... a lot more than most of my customers who come in spurting nonsense... see its a two way street. Some employees might not know what the hell they are talking about, but their are a whole lot more customers who come in running their mouths not knowing what the hell they are talking about either, and that is one of my pet peeves. If you feel so obliged to come up to another customer and start spouting off stupid stuff, know what you are talking about. I hate having to butt in just to make someone feel stupid...

The last step is NOT always done by hand. I have been selling guns at Academy for 2 years, and Academy, and I am pretty sure all FFL's are required to keep two(2) different types of record. Academy has (as required) all 4473's filed by month, and is required to keep them for 20 years, until the store closes, OR if the FFL number is changed (which happened for ALL Louisiana Academy's back in September of 2011, as the business name of Academy changed, a new FFL license was acquired). Academy also keeps an electronic disposition log for ALL gun sales from the date the store opened. This log is basically just a database that can be searched through by various data fields such as, customer name, serial number, or SKU number of gun. These can be narrowed down by a date range as well. So, if a person buys a gun from Academy, and it gets stolen, they need their serial number for the police report... most people for some reason keep no record of their serial numbers, so they come here. All we have to do is type in their name and up pops every gun sold to someone with that exact name. Then we just match their Driver's License number to what is in the record, and we can give them the serial number for that gun, or print out the electronic dispostion report for that particular transaction.

Is this second database a legal requirement or just something that Academy does in-house?

Rahllin

Geaux Tigers!
    Gold Member
    Rating - 100%
    78   0   0
    Feb 8, 2008
    Baton Rouge, LA
    Is this second database a legal requirement or just something that Academy does in-house?

I was always under the impression that it is a legal requirement. It is an Acquisition & Disposition log. All FFL's must log every gun they get in and every gun they sell and keep a record of such, smaller places may not keep a fancy A&D log with all the information, but I am pretty sure it has to include firearm info and buyer info, it also keeps record of where a gun came from and when, so if you look at an Academy Disposition report for a particular serial number it will show when and where Academy got the gun (typically it will be from one of Academy's distribution warehouses) and then it will have information on who bought it and when. Pretty sure every FFL needs to keep all 4473's on file for 20 years or until the license changes or ends even C&R FFL holders have to keep an A&D log although they don't have 4473's to file because they aren't dealers, but if they get rid of a gun, they have to log who it goes to.

Top Bottom