Herbicides

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • highstandard40

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 14, 2009
    Prairieville
    I'm starting to have some difficulty finding Glyphosate concentrate at the stores I usually buy it. I'm seeing a lot of new offerings, probably prompted by the flurry of lawsuits against Roundup. It may be time to try something new. Do any of you have any personal experience with herbicides other than Glyphosate? I have used 2-4D, and tryiclophyr for different applications but was wondering how well all these new herbicide offerings work as a replacement for Glyphosate.

sksshooter

Rating - 100%
    50   0   0
    Jul 28, 2008
    Walker, LA
    Not sure of your intended use but i have been using RM43 for the last several years. It kills EVERYTHING dead. It does seem like it only stays for 6-8 weeks and then starts to return. I'm going to order some pramitol 25e and mix in it. the pramitol is a ground sterilant. once everything is dead it keeps it dead for a year or more. it doesn't work as well to actually kill on its own from what i'm told but it won't let anything grow back if paired with something else that kills well. if your looking for selective herbicide i have not idea i only spray where i want things dead.

Emperor

Seriously Misunderstood!
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 7, 2011
    Nether region
    This stuff is bad ass! I am almost in disbelief that this is sold on the open market. The runoff (from rain), of this killed an area of grass near my driveway for over a year. I used a very small amount 50 yards up my driveway from the area I accidentally killed! :eek4:
    1649339031175.png

dantheman

I despise ARFCOM
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Jan 9, 2008
    City of Central
    I'm starting to have some difficulty finding Glyphosate concentrate at the stores I usually buy it. I'm seeing a lot of new offerings, probably prompted by the flurry of lawsuits against Roundup. It may be time to try something new. Do any of you have any personal experience with herbicides other than Glyphosate? I have used 2-4D, and tryiclophyr for different applications but was wondering how well all these new herbicide offerings work as a replacement for Glyphosate.
    What is your intended use ? Spot treating around the house or scorched earth mass kill ?

highstandard40

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 14, 2009
    Prairieville
    I'm looking for a direct replacement for Glyphosate. Not a soil sterilizer. Something that kills what it touches but doesn't damage nearby plants and trees.

Emperor

Seriously Misunderstood!
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 7, 2011
    Nether region
    I tried this one for the first time. It has spot killed the weeds and plants in the cracks of my patio and driveway with little collateral damage. It kills the root systems of the intended targets.
    1649341307891.png

Xeon64

Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jan 26, 2021
    Prairieville, LA
    If you find something that kills crab grass let me know. I have tried Roundup, several other products, and hit it with a ground clearning propane torch. It still comes back. About to dig the whole area up, fill with new dirt, and sod.

BillnLA

Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Jun 24, 2009
    Albany
    Tractor Supply normally has the Glyphosate 53.8% concentrate in 1 gallon and 2.5 gallon containers. Not cheap, about $120 for the 2.5 gallon size, but essentially is same if not a little more concentrated than Roundup. Been using similar for several years.

Last edited:

Danny Abear

Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Aug 11, 2007
    Brusly, La.
    The primary chemical in all above stuff is ROCK SALT; available cheap in 50# bags/give it a try; it will 'run' if rained on shortly after applied

shrxfn

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 25, 2015
    SWLA
    The primary chemical in all above stuff is ROCK SALT; available cheap in 50# bags/give it a try; it will 'run' if rained on shortly after applied
    Hence the term salting the earth so nothing grows.

Also Walmart has not stopped selling Glycophosphate products. All the off-brand stuff is the same active ingredient as Roundup I have been using them for years and they are now back on the shelves as it is springtime.

highstandard40

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 14, 2009
    Prairieville
    Hence the term salting the earth so nothing grows.

Also Walmart has not stopped selling Glycophosphate products. All the off-brand stuff is the same active ingredient as Roundup I have been using them for years and they are now back on the shelves as it is springtime.
    I've tried two local Walmart stores and neither had the generic Glyphosate concentrate in stock. Same with two Lowe's stores and one Home Depot I checked. Home Depot did have Roundup concentrate but not the generic. I don't buy the premixed stuff and usually buy the generic concentrate which is cheaper.

shrxfn

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 25, 2015
    SWLA
    Weird may have to double-check when I run into town again but shelves seemed to be stocked last time I went.

themcfarland

tactical hangover
    Rating - 100%
    58   0   0
    Dec 6, 2008
    Destrehan
    be careful with 24d, thats half of the agent orange we know so much about now.
    The biologists use round up and 24d to kill weeds and lillies along the water in the swamps, not sure of concentrations or mixes though.

shrxfn

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 25, 2015
    SWLA
    I have mixed 2,4d with roundup to spray the ditch in front of my property worked pretty good.
    Also used roundup and a surfactant to kill cattails in the pond and was finally able to get rid of them. If you are spraying weeds with a coating on the leaves don't forget the surfactant.

charlie12

Not a Fed.
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 21, 2008
    Pride
    Tractor Supply normally has the Glyphosate 53.8% concentrate in 1 gallon and 2.5 gallon containers. Not cheap, about $120 for the 2.5 gallon size, but essentially is same if not a little more concentrated than Roundup. Been using similar for several years.
    2.5 gal is $179.99 now

Magdump

Don’t troll me bro!
    Rating - 100%
    163   0   0
    Dec 31, 2013
    Hammond, Louisiana
    I wish I knew more about the stuff I use. It kills everything. Small trees, briars, everything. My buddy works with the highway department and calls it Spike. He usually just gives me some in a gallon jug so I’ve never seen a label. They use it to spray around bridges and such using a truck mounted sprayer. I mix one cup to a 2 gallon sprayer and rarely have to spray twice in a season. Hope I don’t get the cancer.

Top Bottom