Home Defense Guns

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • doc ace

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 14, 2012
    Pineville/Deville
    Because I am not enamored with the Tavor or any of the modern bullpups. They lack the track record or reliability I am looking for, they can't be fired from the support side without mechanical modification, the manual of arms is weird, and with the availability of JHPs and ammo like the 77gr SMK and TMK I don't believe there is much of a diffrence in lethality vis a vis 16" vs. 10.3".

Nate, had an old SGM who enjoyed clearing rooms with his M16 over the M4 carbine, something about more barrel twists or something with the bullet translated into a little more punch? I just thought he was a bit paranoid from being post Vietnam privates back at Sand Hill...

Thoughts?

Vanilla Gorilla

The Gringo Pistolero
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Feb 22, 2008
    I think that's hot garbage. **** like that gets repeated over and over enough times that it becomes "truth". Ask any of the resident Devil Dogs how they felt about clearing rooms with their M16a4 Combat Muskets. Twist rate becomes important when selecting ammo type outside of that it's an unimportant factor.

MOTOR51

Rating - 100%
    72   0   0
    Dec 23, 2008
    here
    Most 5.56/.223 ammo, particularly JHP stuff has less residual penetration through interior walls than 9mm Ball. By design the projectiles are low mass/high velocity they become unstable in barriers and fragment. Drywall is a particularly difficult medium for them. There will be some secondary frag but im far less concerned about than I am with buck shot or slugs and I don't consider pistol ammo to be less of a risk nor do I find it to be sufficiently lethal.

It's amazing how many people don't know this. I have this argument all the time at work.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Neil09

Rating - 93.8%
    15   1   0
    Nov 29, 2009
    church point, la
    Any cons to going with a lower grain JHP? Wouldn't that make it less likely to penetrate multiple walls? My twist rate is 1:9 on my only rifle now, i'm assuming even at short distances (in home), it'd be better to stay with a lower grain?

noob

enthusiast
    Silver Member
    Rating - 100%
    41   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    New Orleans
    You are comparing the 556 round to 9mm ball ammo, but most if not all of us use a decent jhp in our sd guns. I know I have multiple mags of federal hst loaded for each pistol hanging next to my safe.

petingrass

Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    May 20, 2013
    New Orleans area
    Is there an inexpensive 223 commercial HP that you would recommend? I feel like i need to swap 55 grain FMJ for something else if I'm going to depend on the rifle but I want to be able to afford to run some through the gun to test it.

Vanilla Gorilla

The Gringo Pistolero
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Feb 22, 2008
    Any cons to going with a lower grain JHP? Wouldn't that make it less likely to penetrate multiple walls? My twist rate is 1:9 on my only rifle now, i'm assuming even at short distances (in home), it'd be better to stay with a lower grain?

Maybe but one of the special things about the 77gr SMK is great terminal effect with poor barrier performance. As a general rule I want the heaviest bullet possible.

Vanilla Gorilla

The Gringo Pistolero
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Feb 22, 2008
    You are comparing the 556 round to 9mm ball ammo, but most if not all of us use a decent jhp in our sd guns. I know I have multiple mags of federal hst loaded for each pistol hanging next to my safe.

Most modern JHPs for pistols, including the HST, were designed for best possible performance through intermediate barriers. Interior walls, auto glass, denim etc. So in short it doesn't change my calculus.

Vanilla Gorilla

The Gringo Pistolero
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Feb 22, 2008
    Is there an inexpensive 223 commercial HP that you would recommend? I feel like i need to swap 55 grain FMJ for something else if I'm going to depend on the rifle but I want to be able to afford to run some through the gun to test it.

Give me a price range so I can be specific. I would say that I have found quality 55gr XM193 to be lethal and reliable. If that's what I could afford inwoudnt have reservations about using it.

SpeedRacer

Rating - 100%
    92   0   0
    Feb 23, 2007
    Mandeville, LA
    Xm193 is what I use. If it does the job I would bea happy to stick with it. Anything else would need to come in around the same price. Thanks Nilla.

I don't have any personal experience but I've heard good things about the CBC 77gr OTM MK262 clone. A little spendier than XM193, but about half the price of the Black Hills equivalent.

http://palmettostatearmory.com/index.php/cbc-5-56mm-nato-77gr-otm-hpbt-ammunition-50rds-cbc556c.html

Same concept, excellent on soft tissue but not so great barrier performance, which is ideal for home use.

cajun_64

Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Mar 22, 2012
    Abbeville
    Good info and thanks for sharing your expertise in this manner.

Now I need to find a place that can train and old fat guy with bad knees on the M4!
    Of course the time to take a class would help

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Top Bottom