Home Defense Guns

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • petingrass

Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    May 20, 2013
    New Orleans area

3fifty7

CoonAss
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jul 9, 2011
    Bunkie
    Good info and thanks for sharing your expertise in this manner.

Now I need to find a place that can train and old fat guy with bad knees on the M4!
    Of course the time to take a class would help

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Sign me up for the low speed high drag class as well!!!

Great info on the subject.

Vanilla Gorilla

The Gringo Pistolero
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Feb 22, 2008
    Does JHP tend me be less reliable than FMJ through the AR? I know obviously every gun is different, but in general

In the past this was certainly true. Cheaper soft point and varmint style bullets are still fairly unreliable. However with the increased popularity of AR15s there are a number of excellent JHP designs that feed very reliably. The 75gr TAP from Hornaday and 64gr Gold Dot from Speer come to mind although becareful because bonded bullets are designed to
    Perform in barriers and as previously discussed that can be less than desirable in your house.

Rm105629

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 28, 2011
    Houston
    Learning alot in this thread. I'm saving up for an AR and plan on using it for plinking but also home defense. Would a budget AR like an M&P sport or Windham be sufficient in your opinion?

Vanilla Gorilla

The Gringo Pistolero
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Feb 22, 2008
    Learning alot in this thread. I'm saving up for an AR and plan on using it for plinking but also home defense. Would a budget AR like an M&P sport or Windham be sufficient in your opinion?

If I was buying a budget AR the $1k Colt 6920 would be the gun. Here is another great price in the same gun:

http://www.atlanticfirearms.com/com...ing-rifles/colt-6920-m-4-detail.html?Itemid=0

That would give you an excellent rifle that could grow with you as your wants and needs become more defined. From a price for performance stand point there has never been a better time to buy an AR.

hoghunter54

Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Nov 9, 2012
    Westlake,la.
    What is your opinion on the 458, vanilla, for home defense? I have heard good things and bad.I was just curious,because I just saw a complete 458 socom upper for less than $420 with BCG and CH.I also read this on a forum and thought was pretty good.

,"Within 200 yards the .458S is a hard puppy to beat. 100 to 600 gr. bullets, a semiauto .45-70, which as we all know is God's Chosen Sledgehammer".

The ammo is $70 for a box of 20.But I figured for home defense,how many rounds did I really need.I was thinking of having 2-40rd ar mags loaded.I would assume that would be around 30rds total.

bigtattoo79

Rating - 100%
    94   0   0
    Sep 12, 2009
    LA
    VG, Thanks for the info/advice. I've always been against an AR for HD. Now I'm rethinking my 1st choices of handgun and shotgun.

Is there ever a time you would pick a shotgun for HD?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jmfox3

Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 27, 2009
    I think Vanilla Gorilla got it but I would elaborate. No one will necessarily choose the same weapon for the same purpose but we should have a common criteria. For home defense: 1- skill (almost universal starting point); 2- penetration; 3- Lethality; and 4- accuracy. For example, if skill is ever a concern almost always recommend a long gun; almost impossible to shoot yourself and just a bit harder to shoot someone else. If penetration is a concern be selective in caliber, gauge, and ammunition. Etc. etc. etc.
    No because I find shotguns to be less Shootable (slower, lower capacity, less accurate, more recoil, more difficult to operate), and the shotgun ammo types that have been proven to be sufficiently lethal I.e. #4 shot or bigger and Slugs go through walls like a wrecking ball. I have children at home a loose pellet of 00 Buck is completly unacceptable. Two of the great myths surrounding shotguns are their ease of use and close quarters accuracy. When we put on our Shotgun Class nearly everyone is impressed upon that their shotgun is not what they believed it was.

Vanilla Gorilla

The Gringo Pistolero
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Feb 22, 2008
    What is your opinion on the 458, vanilla, for home defense? I have heard good things and bad.I was just curious,because I just saw a complete 458 socom upper for less than $420 with BCG and CH.I also read this on a forum and thought was pretty good.

,"Within 200 yards the .458S is a hard puppy to beat. 100 to 600 gr. bullets, a semiauto .45-70, which as we all know is God's Chosen Sledgehammer".

The ammo is $70 for a box of 20.But I figured for home defense,how many rounds did I really need.I was thinking of having 2-40rd ar mags loaded.I would assume that would be around 30rds total.

I don't think .458 is necessary. I would be worried about over penetration with those heavy projectiles. Im also not sold on the reliability. .223/5.56 is plenty lethal. Put the bullets where they need to go and it's as deadly as .308/20mm/Death Ray.

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    MiyaMarukutsune
    Top Bottom