Home Security Camera Systems

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Not4Hire

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 24, 2009
    Baton Rouge
    I have decided that I want to put in a home security camera system at my home. Figure 2 or 3 under the eaves on the front of the house to catch the front door, garage, and front yard, and then 1 or 2 under the eaves in the backyard to catch the back patio and yard. Imagine that at least one of the front yard and one of the back yard cameras will need to be infrared to work in the middle of the night. Also would like to be able check it remotely when I'm not home. My mechanical skills are average to above average, so I imagine the installation can't be too bad.

I'm sure some of my fellow shooters have done the same, so I'm looking for advice on what systems/sellers are good or bad, and what things I should look out for. If money were no object, I'd pay someone to come do this, and also throw in some seismic sensors under ground in the yard as well, but since I'm no baller, I need to keep it reasonable.

Thoughts or experiences?
    Thanks in advance -
    Not4hire

mikepizz

LA CHP INSTRUCTOR # 308
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Nov 12, 2008
    Maurepas, LA
    I just purchased a 16 channel dvr with 8 cameras from www.cctv. http://www.cctvsecuritypros.com/ochpse8cacoc.html

had a couple of bad cables in the delivery, just sent them email to get them replaced. so far, overall, I like the system. I can watch all the cameras live from my iphone which is pretty neat. you can set the cameras to only detect and record motion in certain areas of the camera's view. have much to learn on how to program the system. we have had some issues with a certain person trying to get into our vehicles at night which led me to purchase the system.

kpm

Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Oct 5, 2008
    Prairieville, LA
    Buy scout a camcorder! No experience but I've often thought about this. SAMs has a couple of packages worth looking at. I'm sure I will give you a hand in the install so I can learn when my time comes! :)

Not4Hire

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 24, 2009
    Baton Rouge
    KPM - thanks for the advice, but that is below his paygrade. Until I can get the crow's nest built, I need to add something for defense.

Bosco

We are the hammer
    Rating - 100%
    56   0   0
    Sep 4, 2009
    Covington

2011Corvette

Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    May 27, 2011
    Louisiana Swamp (BR)
    If your going to buy a surveillance system for your home wouldn't it be most important that you have good camera's so you can see? Isn't that the whole purpose? I would want to see clearly during the day, at night, on rainy days, cold days, etc.
    The camera's are the most important part of the system I would think.
    Just my 2 cents.................

GunRelated

Rating - 100%
    41   0   0
    Feb 22, 2012
    Walker, La
    Another thing to think about is making sure the DVR, or whatever the images will be stored on, is either hidden very well, or locked up in a safe. Surveillance is no good if the footage is stolen.

I_FLY_LOW

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 15, 2007
    Gonzales
    http://www.woot.com 's 1 day sale...
    Zmodo 500GB Surveillance System
    $179.99 + $5 shipping
    Zmodo_500GB_Surveillance_SystemueuStandard.jpg

Jack

Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Dec 9, 2010
    Covington
    Personally I would go with vandal domes, they are a bit more expensive and harder to adjust, but well worth it in durability. Also, when you put the covers on them, throw a silica pack in, to stop the camera from fogging up.

Buy a set of crimpers and make the cables yourself. It is really easy and will save you some cash. Don't go with any based on 6 or 8 pair cable, you don't need it and it isn't as durable as Siamese cable.

Make sure to mount them where lights aren't in the way as it will white wash the IR night vision. If you've got any questions feel free to message me, I install cameras about once a week.

Last edited:

lt1rx798

Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jul 23, 2009
    Baton Rouge
    I used to install alarms for ADT years ago, and have installed cameras before, but my house/garage configuration is a bit unique. I may opt to pay someone this time around.

Jack

Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Dec 9, 2010
    Covington
    Wow, that whole set is the price of the last camera that I bought LOL.

Sounds about right, those look like total **** lol

I used to install alarms for ADT years ago, and have installed cameras before, but my house/garage configuration is a bit unique. I may opt to pay someone this time around.

Which branch were you working at? I've got a friend who is a dealer, so if you can get me a list of what you need, I should be able to get you a quote.

zivadog

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 27, 2009
    Baton Rouge
    No association with them but also check out the guys at esentia.com

They have a storefront on Pennywood around the corner from precision arms. Got a lot of the stuff for my 8 channel system from them and just finished building some infrared illuminators, yard looks like the sum is out now when it's pitch black out .......

Zivadog

Top Bottom