Homemade Suppressor

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • swampfoxx

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jul 15, 2014
    Ponchatoula, LA
    UPDATE!!

Two weeks in and still pending. I picked up my freeze plugs from NAPA in Gonzales. Bag of 12 at 0.69 each.

f4d2shof92i3wq61cat.jpg

ye293j22r5mr7xoklo.jpg

No holes drilled until stamp arrives. :D

swampfoxx

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jul 15, 2014
    Ponchatoula, LA
    Still pending. I think they are up to about 70 days now since 41P has been delayed. Everyone is Form 1'ing something. I have another can and an SBR waiting as well.

madwabbit

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 2, 2013
    Lafayette, LA
    at total cost comparison if it even comes out 1/2 as good as a factory can you've won the game. im curious how it comes out. Heck I might even take a swing at it myself.

swampfoxx

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jul 15, 2014
    Ponchatoula, LA
    The cool part is that since I am the manufacturer, I can play around with the number of baffles, the shape of the baffles, bleeds or no bleeds, etc. until I get it the way I want it.

swampfoxx

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jul 15, 2014
    Ponchatoula, LA
    Drilled pilot holes in the baffles. Tried to form a couple using tools I had on hand, but the hole either comes out too large when I get the correct indention (using a plumb bob), or the indention is too shallow when I get the correct hole size (using a Torx bit). I purchased a three-leg puller, and will try the center as the original OP did on ARFCOM this weekend. I am in Indy this week and Newark next week, so I may not get the pics posted until next weekend.

Last edited:

swampfoxx

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jul 15, 2014
    Ponchatoula, LA
    I have been on the road for two weeks. I will take some pics later today. I have the basic indention done (90 degrees) using the point from a three-legged gear puller. I need to purchase a 60 degree dead center for the final press. Then cut the spacers and assemble. Also looking for a source for a couple of valve spring retainers to use as the blast baffle. I don't want to have to purchase 16 when I only need two.

Harrisracing

Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Jan 28, 2013
    Lafayette, LA
    Just shot one of these today on a 10.5" ar, just as quiet as a REAL silencer, doesn't look pretty but it works!! This one has been shot a lot with no problems

I almost wish I would have just gone with steel tube and steel end caps so I could just tack-weld everything together when done.

I'm running 8" titanium can, aluminum end caps, 12 baffles (formed into cones), .395" bore diameter on .308 and mine is SUPER quiet. Sounds better than my Huntertown arms Kestrel .308. Have shot it with a full mag of 7.62x54r out of a russian 20" vepr and didn't grenade it, so I would say it is very good especially for the money and weight. My waits on the Form 1 cans were 78 days. Filed in March this year.

.223 can on my Ruger charger (again 8" titanium SD tactical)
    .308 can baffles before and after forming. I am only drilling the hole 1/8" and then forming out on a press with a toolup puller center with a spacer (brass piece in picture) until the centering tool bottoms. It's about .350" diameter there then The final drill (.395"?) is after ALL of the baffles are in the can. You will need a LONG drillbit/reamer or go from both sides (if you want to risk it). I did flare out the baffles so they would need to be hammered in my tube (wanted them to stick a bit and not rattle).

They work incredibly well.

qzeyj6.jpg

8xtowj.jpg

6ydu9i.jpg

Last edited:

buttanic

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 2, 2010
    LaPlace, LA
    Waiting on a dead center to make the 60 degree impression. Picked up a couple of valve spring retainers from LNSVince yesterday for the blast baffles.

Explain the valve spring retainer blast baffles please, where and how are they used. I am contemplating building one.

swampfoxx

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jul 15, 2014
    Ponchatoula, LA
    In my design, it will be the first baffle, the one that takes the brunt of the blast, due to the additional thickness. The rest will be "M" baffles made from the freeze plugs.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    TonyGuillory
    Top Bottom