Homemade Suppressor

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Harrisracing

Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Jan 28, 2013
    Lafayette, LA
    This is a good idea. I have concerns about using the freeze plug as the first baffle. I may send in drawings to have an inconel baffle made for my homemade cans. The blast from shorter barrels really puts a ton of heat in the freeze plugs.

lattin1

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 26, 2013
    I just finished making my 4th form 1 suppressor using SDTacticals parts and they're nothing short of awesome. I went with the 5.6", 7.5", and the 11" titanium D tubes for my rifles and then used their 5.6" titanium B tube for a pistol suppressor. The 7' can is pretty close in size to my SilencerCo SpecWar but not only is it lighter, its also a couple decibles quieter, not to mention $600 cheaper!!!!

As far as using freeze plugs for your first baffle, mine have help up pretty well. I've used them on a couple of my SBR's with sub and supersonic ammo and they even held up to my .458 socom. Got a little carried away heat anadozing a couple of them but the tie dye look is kind of growing on me.

attachment.php

Attachments

• FullSizeRender.jpg
      FullSizeRender.jpg
      215.4 KB · Views: 1,490
    Last edited:

southernk9cop

Resident Zombie Hunter
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Jul 3, 2007
    Houma
    I also form 1'd a SD Tactical build in 7.62. I went with the 6" steel D-tube and use their quick attach muzzle brake on both my AR-15 and heavy barrel Savage LA .308. I don't know if it is OSHA safe as far as decibels but with duty rounds in both .223/5.56 and .308 you can shoot without any ringing in your ears whatsoever. I also have 225 grain subsonic .308 from Beck Ammunition that is literally "Hollywood quiet". Its about as loud as a pump action pellet rifle. I haven't shot for grouping past 100 yards as of yet, but shift has been negligible nor has it opened groups up. My AR is currently 16" plus the length of the QA brake, however, I plan on sending it out to ADCO to get the barrel cut down so the OAL is 16" with the brake....I think the brake is around 2.25 inches.

My next stamp submission is going to be for a dedicated .22 build and a pistol can. I've been debating back and forth between building a .45 can, so I can use it on .40 and 9mm.....or just going with a dedicated 9mm. My current threaded pistols are all in 9mm.

Last edited:

swampfoxx

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jul 15, 2014
    Ponchatoula, LA
    UPDATE!!

Went to my son's house on Bayou Manchac yesterday and test fired the prototype. Wow! First off, the projectile went in one end and out the other with no baffle strikes or issues. That was promising. I had plugs and muffs on, and my son had muffs. After the first shot, he nodded his head and removed the muffs. After the second shot, he grinned, and I removed my ear pro. Next shot, not much louder than a .22 LR. The supersonic crack gives it away, but I shot at least a dozen rounds with no ear pro with no ill effects. Can't wait to try some subsonic. :D

I have an SPL meter app on my phone, but it is not fast or sensitive enough to determine the SPL level. It showed 110 dB with the muzzle break, and I know its louder than that.

Also, I expected some POI shift, but I had sighted in my red dot at 25 yards to Revised Improved Battlesight Zero, and we were about 100' from the center of the bayou. I saw a 1 liter bottle floating in the water so I took a shot at it. First shot was about 3" low, but the second knocked it about 20' into the air. We will be ordering the parts for his next week. Some additional photos:

Parts laid out on table. Threaded adapter, 1.5" spacer, blast baffle, 1" spacer, baffle, 1/2" spacer, 13 baffles, end cap.

1cavukiwvtup8km5uie0.jpg

Blast baffle made from valve spring retainer

1wnzoe6csz6acx9axrmf.jpg

Baffle stack

22xbq5ks82xhenouoiu.jpg

Finished product on 10.5" pistol

ql3fckr1tac4czj94.jpg

Last edited:

stinkysix

Rating - 97.9%
    46   1   0
    Jul 14, 2009
    Denham Springs
    I'll have $250.00 in the suppressor when I am done, I think the cheapest 300 blk out can out there is $ 500.00 and up.

So with the $ 200.00 stamp I am still 50 bucks under what just a can would cost.

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    TonyGuillory
    Top Bottom