How does one become an instructor?

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Status
    Not open for further replies.

ABN_INF

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Sep 3, 2012
    belle chasse
    Probably been asked 10 times before so I apologize, but just out of curiosity... Is it mandatory to become certified with the NRA? Do you need some type of liscense? Could anyone just give a class on their property or at a range?

aroundlsu

Bayou Photo Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Dec 21, 2007
    Baton Rouge
    You don't have to be NRA certified but its a great idea. The course is inexpensive and quick and it goes over a lot of good material on how to teach a group of people. Once you do that you could teach for CCW permits. I am planning to get certified this year.

dawg23

Resident Dimwit
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Sep 17, 2006
    Baton Rouge
    Probably been asked 10 times before so I apologize, but just out of curiosity... Is it mandatory to become certified with the NRA? Do you need some type of liscense? Could anyone just give a class on their property or at a range?

Assuming you just want to teach, there's no certification required. Your proficiency, or lack thereof, is immaterial.

I used this same approach when I began teaching brain surgery, and no one has ever questioned my credentials or expertise.:rolleyes:

ABN_INF

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Sep 3, 2012
    belle chasse
    Assuming you just want to teach, there's no certification required. Your proficiency, or lack thereof, is immaterial.

I used this same approach when I began teaching brain surgery, and no one has ever questioned my credentials or expertise.:rolleyes:

I can assure you "DAWG" that my proficiency lacks nothing. As for my credentials... let's just say I'm well trained. While I find your sarcasm humorous I'd appreciate it if "dimwits" like yourself didn't **** in my thread. If I ever do decide to instruct a class I'll be sure to invite you, maybe you'll learn a thing or two.

Last edited:

dawg23

Resident Dimwit
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Sep 17, 2006
    Baton Rouge
    I can assure you "DAWG" that my proficiency lacks nothing. As for my credentials... let's just say I'm well trained. While I find your sarcasm humorous I'd appreciate it if "dimwits" like yourself didn't **** in my thread. If I ever do decide to instruct a class I'll be sure to invite you, maybe you'll learn a thing or two.

Gee -- kinda sensitive aren't we. (I'm a bit surprised that a person with all your credentials had to pose your query on a gun forum.) Maybe you could add me to your "ignore" list.:cool:

BTW, I love the barter system -- if get an opening in one of my brain surgery classes I'll invite you.:D

Last edited:

geauxshootin

LA CHP Training and more
    Rating - 100%
    47   0   0
    Jul 29, 2009
    Prairieville
    I will teach an NRA pistol instructor class December 15th and 16th if there are folks that want to become instructors. PM me for mor information or check nrainstructors.org Look under find a class. I will post the class there later today.
    Thx
    Alan

oscar615

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 31, 2010
    SE LA
    I will teach an NRA pistol instructor class December 15th and 16th if there are folks that want to become instructors. PM me for mor information or check nrainstructors.org Look under find a class. I will post the class there later today.
    Thx
    Alan
    How much will the class cost?

ABN_INF

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Sep 3, 2012
    belle chasse
    Gee -- kinda sensitive aren't we. (I'm a bit surprised that a person with all your credentials had to pose your query on a gun forum.) Maybe you could add me to your "ignore" list.:cool:

BTW, I love the barter system -- if get an opening in one of my brain surgery classes I'll invite you.:D

Not sensitive just insulted... For you to come in and undermine me without knowing who i am... Or more importantly where I've been. I know who you are, your an old dog. Might be time to retire to the porch. Let's not forget who started this, maybe you have some insecurities but you should take that weak minded **** elsewhere.

aroundlsu

Bayou Photo Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Dec 21, 2007
    Baton Rouge
    Not sensitive just insulted... For you to come in and undermine me without knowing who i am... Or more importantly where I've been. I know who you are, your an old dog. Might be time to retire to the porch. Let's not forget who started this, maybe you have some insecurities but you should take that weak minded **** elsewhere.

There was nothing insulting meant about his post. The first was part was a true statement. Anyone can claim to be an instructor. His comment was not directed to you at all. This kind of thing happens because different people can read something totally different ways. You guys should shake hands and move on. :)

returningliberty

Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Nov 8, 2009
    Hammond, LA

I wouldn't be insulted, if I were you. He does that with everybody. While it rubs me the wrong way too, I at least understand its not personal. So far, you've had 4 highly qualified instructors (of which he is one) plus myself (I am a fairly new instructor) respond to you.
    I would say your attitude is not conducive to a professional introduction, and these are both your competitors and peers. Your reputation with them Matters. It's not a good idea to start off your "career" by being unfriendly, no matter how much sarcasm Dawg23 throws at you.

As for your OP, you hang out a shingle with zero certificates or credentials and just say "hey! Trust me, I know what I'm about." all day, but no one will take your classes. You can get NRA certified for whatever you want to teach, and Still no one will take your classes, because you have no credibility. You can even get your NRA basic pistol instructor and LSP number and throw up some CHP courses on a website, and without some credibility, it won't matter. Here's an example:
    I'm a CHP instructor and I'm qualified to teach the class. People always ask me, "we'll, that's cool, but what are your Other credentials and experiences?" If that's all I had going for me, I wouldn't get any students. The fact that I work great with young people and total novices who have No experience behind a handgun whatsoever wouldn't even matter.

ABN_INF

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Sep 3, 2012
    belle chasse
    I wouldn't be insulted, if I were you. He does that with everybody. While it rubs me the wrong way too, I at least understand its not personal. So far, you've had 4 highly qualified instructors (of which he is one) plus myself (I am a fairly new instructor) respond to you.
    I would say your attitude is not conducive to a professional introduction, and these are both your competitors and peers. Your reputation with them Matters. It's not a good idea to start off your "career" by being unfriendly, no matter how much sarcasm Dawg23 throws at you.

As for your OP, you hang out a shingle with zero certificates or credentials and just say "hey! Trust me, I know what I'm about." all day, but no one will take your classes. You can get NRA certified for whatever you want to teach, and Still no one will take your classes, because you have no credibility. You can even get your NRA basic pistol instructor and LSP number and throw up some CHP courses on a website, and without some credibility, it won't matter. Here's an example:
    I'm a CHP instructor and I'm qualified to teach the class. People always ask me, "we'll, that's cool, but what are your Other credentials and experiences?" If that's all I had going for me, I wouldn't get any students. The fact that I work great with young people and total novices who have No experience behind a handgun whatsoever wouldn't even matter.

Well running liberty and dawg23 I'd like to hear all about your "credentials" I myself am a combat veteran with more time behind a weapon in 16 months than the both of you put together! so real life experiences is all I have to offer. Either one of you ever been in a fire fight? I never said I wanted to be an instructor. My question... As I clearly stated in my OP was one of curiosity and it's because of the instructors I've personally witnessed giving people bad information.

oscar615

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 31, 2010
    SE LA

So how does one get business?

returningliberty

Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Nov 8, 2009
    Hammond, LA
    Returningliberty pegged it; it takes more than credentials and/or an NRA ticket-punch to be a good instructor...

Thank you, Sir! Exactly what I was trying to say. I do think you should go ahead and Get your ticket punched by the NRA for instructor stuff, if only to say "yes, I have met the minimum requirements to be able to speak in front of people."
    I can tell you from personal experience out of the 12 people in my instructor course, (who all passed), there were maybe 2 others who I'd consider Actually competent enough to teach people how to responsibly use a handgun.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom