How does one become an instructor?

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Status
    Not open for further replies.

dawg23

Resident Dimwit
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Sep 17, 2006
    Baton Rouge
    Not sensitive just insulted... For you to come in and undermine me without knowing who i am... Or more importantly where I've been. I know who you are, your an old dog. Might be time to retire to the porch. Let's not forget who started this, maybe you have some insecurities but you should take that weak minded **** elsewhere.

Please point out one single thing I said that was insulting to you ..... or served to "undermine" you. Your insecurities seem to be rivaled only by your lack of a sense of humor.

G

gunguy11

Glad someone pointed out the motosouth forum for me. I haven't missed this place a bit. A bunch of senior members being some jack asses.
    I will continue to donate funds upon my renewal to support Jeremy and his cause but I since things havent changed even after the "revolution" I will continue to skim the surface of this place. seriously need to get some fresh heads in here because some of you experts sit to high on your pedestals.

ABN_INF

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Sep 3, 2012
    belle chasse
    Assuming you just want to teach, there's no certification required. Your proficiency, or lack thereof, is immaterial.

I used this same approach when I began teaching brain surgery, and no one has ever questioned my credentials or expertise.:rolleyes:

unnecessarry
    sarcasm

all i wanted was some information man you come off as arrogant and thats what set the tone for this conversation.
    or maybe i should just get the sand out of my vag... either way :hi5: how about a truce.

SGT_Kramer

Knuckle Buster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 23, 2010
    Ball
    unnecessarry
    sarcasm

all i wanted was some information man you come off as arrogant and thats what set the tone for this conversation.
    or maybe i should just get the sand out of my vag... either way :hi5: how about a truce.
    YAY! Now you two kiss... One thing is for sure. It takes a very patient and understanding listener to make a good teacher. I hate teaching due to the patience part.

mukwah

Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Aug 26, 2012
    Shreveport,La
    Just stumbled on this thread and had to go back to the beginning and read the whole thing. Very entertaining to say the least! Like two bulldogs barring teeth at one another! Guess thats why my wife says "men will be men"! Now.....lets move on!

Cat

*Banned*
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 5, 2009
    NE of Alexandria, Cenla
    I wouldn't be insulted, if I were you. He does that with everybody. While it rubs me the wrong way too, I at least understand its not personal. So far, you've had 4 highly qualified instructors (of which he is one) plus myself (I am a fairly new instructor) respond to you.
    I would say your attitude is not conducive to a professional introduction, and these are both your competitors and peers. Your reputation with them Matters. It's not a good idea to start off your "career" by being unfriendly, no matter how much sarcasm Dawg23 throws at you.

As for your OP, you hang out a shingle with zero certificates or credentials and just say "hey! Trust me, I know what I'm about." all day, but no one will take your classes. You can get NRA certified for whatever you want to teach, and Still no one will take your classes, because you have no credibility. You can even get your NRA basic pistol instructor and LSP number and throw up some CHP courses on a website, and without some credibility, it won't matter. Here's an example:
    I'm a CHP instructor and I'm qualified to teach the class. People always ask me, "we'll, that's cool, but what are your Other credentials and experiences?" If that's all I had going for me, I wouldn't get any students. The fact that I work great with young people and total novices who have No experience behind a handgun whatsoever wouldn't even matter.

No, actually he doesn't. It only sounds that way if it applies to you.
    My following comments are not necessarily directed at you RL, or anybody else, btw.

Straight up: I don't care if you're god's walking encyclopedia of gun information. If you have to come on to a gun forum and ask a bunch of casual enthusiasts how to become certified, then you're probably not qualified. And I wouldn't waste my money. Many of the guys who are here that ARE instructors, or COULD BE instructors have created friendships and long term relationships with well known national instructors. Personally I think they'd probably go ask somebody who has experience in it. :)

Last edited:

Jack

Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Dec 9, 2010
    Covington
    If you have to come on to a gun forum and ask a bunch of casual enthusiasts how to become certified, then you're probably not qualified. And I wouldn't waste my money.
    I really doubt his question was directed towards the casual members here, but instead to instructors.

Cat

*Banned*
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 5, 2009
    NE of Alexandria, Cenla
    unnecessarry
    sarcasm

Actually if you hang around a bit longer, you'll see that your post set the tone. Because of the exact reason you came here to ask the question, many of the board instructors get their hackles raised fairly quickly when another moron comes around adding their ignorance to the pot.

Had you said "I just recently experienced a class given by an instructor whom I would consider to be failing in his presentation. I feel I'm more certified than he is and I'm not an instructor. How does somebody earn the credentials to give these firearms classes because this guy was a moron."

Dawg would have commiserated, and the subsequent conversation would have been greatly different. :)

Last edited:

returningliberty

Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Nov 8, 2009
    Hammond, LA
    No, actually he doesn't. It only sounds that way if it applies to you.
    My following comments are not necessarily directed at you RL, or anybody else, btw.

Straight up: I don't care if you're god's walking encyclopedia of gun information. If you have to come on to a gun forum and ask a bunch of casual enthusiasts how to become certified, then you're probably not qualified. And I wouldn't waste my money. Many of the guys who are here that ARE instructors, or COULD BE instructors have created friendships and long term relationships with well known national instructors. Personally I think they'd probably go ask somebody who has experience in it. :)

I don't have any friendships with well known national instructors, and I do ok. I don't think the barriers to entry are quite That high for your standard instructor. As long as you have some decent, verifiable credentials and experience to give you credibility, and the right personality, I think you meet the requirements to help people learn.

If you're trying to come off as some top tier tactical instructor, you'd better have btdt IMO. Same with hunting: if you're marketing yourself as the Great White Hunter trainer, I want to see some dangerous game in your trophy room.
    If you are a regular CHP instructor, being prior service, a LEO, or a lawyer is fine, as long as you market yourself that way. Even a regular joe with None of those things can do ok as long as he's knowledgable. No "Good 'ol boy" network required.

aroundlsu

Bayou Photo Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Dec 21, 2007
    Baton Rouge
    I have been through classes with both types of instructors. Some have minimal real world experience but lots of formal training and experience on the range. Some have decades of experience shooting real people but not much formal training. Both are useful to learn from. I favor someone with real experience and many years spent actually training students. Those guys can just look at you and figure out what's wrong with you before you even pull the trigger.

Vermiform

Free Candy!
    Gold Member
    Marketplace Mod
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Sep 18, 2006
    Shreveport - or therebouts
    I have been through classes with both types of instructors. Some have minimal real world experience but lots of formal training and experience on the range. Some have decades of experience shooting real people but not much formal training. Both are useful to learn from. I favor someone with real experience and many years spent actually training students. Those guys can just look at you and figure out what's wrong with you before you even pull the trigger.

And then you have this type of instructor:

mh4qf05rebqpf4gbx5k.jpg

"Just break the wrist and walk away. Break the wrist - walk away."

Cat

*Banned*
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 5, 2009
    NE of Alexandria, Cenla
    So knowing where to get certified determines ability? Hunh bruh's certificates keep getting funnier.

I didn't say that. Hunh Bruh has nothing to do it. Why are you bringing him into a conversation when he's been banned?

I don't have any friendships with well known national instructors, and I do ok. I don't think the barriers to entry are quite That high for your standard instructor. As long as you have some decent, verifiable credentials and experience to give you credibility, and the right personality, I think you meet the requirements to help people learn.

If you're trying to come off as some top tier tactical instructor, you'd better have btdt IMO. Same with hunting: if you're marketing yourself as the Great White Hunter trainer, I want to see some dangerous game in your trophy room.
    If you are a regular CHP instructor, being prior service, a LEO, or a lawyer is fine, as long as you market yourself that way. Even a regular joe with None of those things can do ok as long as he's knowledgable. No "Good 'ol boy" network required.

I don't disagree with that statement at all. But it is not a "good ol boy" network. To be a good instructor, you have to be a good student. Dawg has invested hundreds if not thousands of hours attending training seminars all over the nation. He's brought what he learned from a variety of instructors to his own classroom. It's my own opinion, you may disagree. That's certainly your prerogative but I believe it's just as vital to know how a class runs and operates before waltzing into a classroom as a proficient instructor. Over time relationships are formed. If not with particular people, at least in the instructional community.

Case in point: Martial arts. You've spent 20 years taking classes. You've helped your instructor. You've even instructed the junior classes under your instructor's watchful eye. You want to move on and open your own place.

Do you go to a martial arts forum and ask how to stand on your own… Or do you sit down with your mentor?

edit to add: I admit it. I'm a snob here. I want to see something more than just life experience. My time away is very limited. I want to put money down on somebody I feel will best help me in the small amount of time we have. I appreciate every single one of our veterans. But I'm not going to fight a war in my living room. Somebody like AroundLSU who to my knowledge has never served but I believe has spent weeks and months pursuing self defense education… Hundreds of hours in the classroom, or on the range instructing is going to be my deal breaker. Would I visit a class of a fresh brand new US army veteran instructor who hasn't clocked hundreds of classroom hours as a student? Probably not without great references. Would it be an issue ten years down the road with plenty of instructional experience without considering how he started, what he brought with him to his very first class, and whatnot? Nope. Because he would have built credibility over time.

I can't believe I'm actually saying something that anybody would actually disagree with. Unless you're just arguing for the hell of it.

Last edited:

aroundlsu

Bayou Photo Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Dec 21, 2007
    Baton Rouge
    Since Cat brought me up, just for the record I don't intend to offer classes. My reason for getting an instructor certification is so I can be a bit more qualified to train some of the clueless actors from Hollywood I have been working with. Bad gun handling in movies probably bugs all of us. I feel I am pretty well qualified to teach that sort of thing and have been doing it anyway so I might as well get a bit more training in instructing.

Last edited:
    Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom