How hard is it to carry a full size gun?

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • brewer3401

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 26, 2012
    OWB carry Sig P226 just slightly forward of 3 o'clock.
    6' 4" 225 lbs.
    Garrett Silent Thunder STX 2.0
    Polo shirt works fine, button down even better.

Hint: Dark colored shirts are better than lighter colors and patterns in material are very helpful in breaking up any printing in any style of shirt.

mike84z28

Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Aug 13, 2012
    Kenner
    I must be the only one that has trouble or I havnt found the right holster. In summer time dress I do not feel comfortable with a full size gun. G19 is as far as I can go comfortably. Maybe I need to give up the dream and just get bigger pants and shorts

DAVE_M

_________
    Rating - 100%
    32   0   0
    Apr 17, 2009
    ________
    I must be the only one that has trouble or I havnt found the right holster. In summer time dress I do not feel comfortable with a full size gun. G19 is as far as I can go comfortably. Maybe I need to give up the dream and just get bigger pants and shorts

Ever used a Raven Eidolon?

DAVE_M

_________
    Rating - 100%
    32   0   0
    Apr 17, 2009
    ________
    No but I will look it up

It has lots of options, any suggestions ?

I have both the G17 and G19 models, both with the overhooks and the loops, and I have a ton of extra parts since I have two full kits. I've tried them all, and I use them without the bump, and prefer the G19 size more. If you're just going to have one, get the G19 size, since you can fit anything in it. The G17 only fits the G17 properly. It will fit the G26 and G19, but the holster is still G17 sized.

Slalom.45

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 10, 2013
    Lafayette, LA
    +1 on the Eidolon. I have one and the claw and pad combination make a 17 very concealable. In the cooler months I wear it a lot. I used an Alabama Holster "Clipper" before the Eidolon. The but of the gun was much easier to spot with it. With the Raven it's a non-issue.

In the summer I admit I carry my 43 more, but my 17 is my favorite pistol and if possible I carry it.

bigtattoo79

Rating - 100%
    94   0   0
    Sep 12, 2009
    LA
    Looks like I'll be snagging a gen4 26 this Friday so that should be another alternative pistol to carry.

For years my carry gun was a G17 or a G-26. I decided to try a G19 and I've never carried a G17 or G26 again. Finding what works for you is a lot of trial and error just get advice and start the process of elimination.

LACamper

oldbie
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jun 3, 2007
    Metairie, LA
    You are going to collect holsters like a woman with shoes, it's normal don't worry. I carried a full size P220 for a few months when I first started before I could afford smaller guns. It is doable, plan your outfit accordingly and be mindful of your body positioning (bending over, etc).

So true. Of course the price of all those holsters you could have bought the smaller gun.

I carry a 1911 on occasion, but only when I don't care if it prints! I use a blackhawk leather CCW holster at 5:00 reverse carried (old arm injury makes it easier...).

Last edited:

OutOfAmmo

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 1, 2016
    Ponchatoula
    StealthGearUSA Holster

New to Carry world and would love some input.

I've got an xds should should be fine for carry but would absolutely love to carry my G17. Is this do able or should I just stick with the Xds?
    Been looking at alien gear holsters and that was gonna be my 1st shot at a IWB holster.

Thx in advance!

I love the StealthGearUSA I do have a drawer full of other holsters maybe i should have a yard sale

josh62685

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 14, 2012
    houma, la
    I'm sure a g17 is very doable. I carry a g19 in a blade tech iwb. At 3 o'clock. The 17 is only 2 more rounds so the handle shouldn't be much longer.

Sent from my SM-G925V using Tapatalk

Mxav

Rating - 100%
    63   0   0
    Nov 25, 2011
    New Orleans
    Carrying AIWB right now.
    Glock 17 with extra mag..

Example image:

tumblr_ns7q5vzbYc1tsjopqo1_1280.jpg

Jasarii

Rating - 100%
    34   0   0
    Jan 3, 2013
    Walker, LA
    Not a big deal. Just find a holster you like, dress for it accordingly and roll with it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Top Bottom