How much did Christmas cost $$$

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • S&W4ME

I'm kind of a big deal
    Rating - 100%
    62   0   0
    Sep 7, 2009
    Walker, LA
    I should probably keep my mouth shut and please refrain from a retort as I don't care but this thread as a whole shows poor form. Should I feel less of a person if I spent less than you? Should you feel less of a man if I was able to afford more than you for my family? The fact of the matter is its none of your business what I spent and focusing on dollar values just shows that the true meaning of Christmas has been lost. You could have given your mother say a photo book of her family, kids, grandkids, husband ect., that cost nothing more than photo paper and ink in book you hand made with your kids (her grandkids) to put it in, and it could have meant more to her than if you gave her a German car with a red bow on top. Or maybe someone on here saved $10 a month all year to buy his wife some shoes because she needed them and thats all they could afford. And you know what those shoes, to go to work next year, meant more to her and him than the thousands of dollars and tens of frivolous gifts the "rich" neighbor down the road bought his wife. The commercialization of Christmas has really tainted the true meaning.

Well said sir

mike84z28

Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Aug 13, 2012
    Kenner
    I should probably keep my mouth shut and please refrain from a retort as I don't care but this thread as a whole shows poor form. Should I feel less of a person if I spent less than you? Should you feel less of a man if I was able to afford more than you for my family? The fact of the matter is its none of your business what I spent and focusing on dollar values just shows that the true meaning of Christmas has been lost. You could have given your mother say a photo book of her family, kids, grandkids, husband ect., that cost nothing more than photo paper and ink in book you hand made with your kids (her grandkids) to put it in, and it could have meant more to her than if you gave her a German car with a red bow on top. Or maybe someone on here saved $10 a month all year to buy his wife some shoes because she needed them and thats all they could afford. And you know what those shoes, to go to work next year, meant more to her and him than the thousands of dollars and tens of frivolous gifts the "rich" neighbor down the road bought his wife. The commercialization of Christmas has really tainted the true meaning.

Then just don't answer, I buy and give because I enjoy it and im blessed enough to be able to do it. There have been times when I could not, and that time may come again, its not a competition. It was a simple question.

ub4me

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 16, 2012
    D-han
    I don't want to know and the wife won't tell me. But i did get a gun safe(16 guns) so who cares how much she spent. Daddy' happy:)

Pas Tout La

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 12, 2012
    Droite La
    I have never been one to buy gifts for people. Now that I have a son I buy for him and the people who have been a big part in his life. In total about 6-8 people. Gifts varied from a large ass bottle of tobacco sauce that cost $10 to a $200 purse. They were all very appreciative that I thought highly enough of them to buy them something, regardless of the cost of the item, and I feel the same when someone gives me a gift. Also the fact that my sons birthday is tomorrow means that I'm hit harder during the holiday season, so I try and make every dollar I spend count.

2011Corvette

Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    May 27, 2011
    Louisiana Swamp (BR)
    I should probably keep my mouth shut and please refrain from a retort as I don't care but this thread as a whole shows poor form. Should I feel less of a person if I spent less than you? Should you feel less of a man if I was able to afford more than you for my family? The fact of the matter is its none of your business what I spent and focusing on dollar values just shows that the true meaning of Christmas has been lost. You could have given your mother say a photo book of her family, kids, grandkids, husband ect., that cost nothing more than photo paper and ink in book you hand made with your kids (her grandkids) to put it in, and it could have meant more to her than if you gave her a German car with a red bow on top. Or maybe someone on here saved $10 a month all year to buy his wife some shoes because she needed them and thats all they could afford. And you know what those shoes, to go to work next year, meant more to her and him than the thousands of dollars and tens of frivolous gifts the "rich" neighbor down the road bought his wife. The commercialization of Christmas has really tained the true meaning.

Excuse me but I did start this thread just to ask a simple question. I never said that the one who spent the most won a prize of any kind. How much one spends on their family does not mean that they "rich" or not! It also does not mean that they do not take Christmas serious and for what it truly means.
    If you choose not to comment on the topic then you have that choice but it is not very Nice to pass judgement on others.

Trust me, I do fully understand the meaning of CHRISTmas and celebrate it with my family. How much a person spends on gifts has nothing to do with their Christianity.

TomW

Recreational Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Aug 4, 2010
    Prairieville, LA

I could not have said this better...

JWG223

Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Aug 16, 2011
    Shreveport
    Trying to get an idea on how much people spend on just immediate family for Christmas.
    Just the wife and kids on an average Christmas.

I include my close circle of friends, since I don't choose to have wife/kids.

This year, it was around $2300 and counting (not done yet, I never give gifts actually ON Christmas, as I am always working, and some of my close friends live out of state.)

Personally, I don't think it matters what you spend. To me, it matters what you give. I gave people gifts that will last a lifetime and that they will like. Cost wasn't a consideration one way or the other. It's not a competition.

That said, since I have entered the work-force, I find myself being more generous than I thought I would be with my money. My family and friends mean a LOT to me, and when I see things that I want to buy for them that I know they can't swing right then, or will never pony up and buy for themselves, but would LOVE! to have---I buy them. Like I said, these are people who mean a lot to me, and I personally wouldn't feel good not buying them things when I buy so much for myself. To me, it's sort of "giving back' to all of the people who have positively influenced me, and encouraged me. I do try to make the gifts nice. If that means they cost a bit, then they do. If it means I can make them for $0, then I do. It is what it is, and smiles and joy are priceless, so it doesn't really matter in a monetary sense.

Last edited:

SeventhSon

Evil Conservative
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Oct 30, 2008
    Slidell
    Money is just that, money. I always seem to be reminded what Christmas REALLY means in one shape or another every year. This year, at separate times and away from each other, we asked my 7 year old boy and the 8 year old boy that we are visiting with (I'll call him "B" here) that is in foster care what they wanted for Christmas. "B" named off a few items and then said that he wanted "A forever family". My son told me that he wanted "B" to be adopted for Christmas and he wanted us to be the ones to do it. He also put that on his list to Santa.

I spent a little under $1000 on four kids (three of my own and "B" that was visiting with us). My wife and I dont spend anything on each other. All that seems pretty insignificant when compared to the wishes of those two little boys though.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Jerry1090
    Top Bottom