How to fight a Causeway Bridge speeding ticket when it is an outright lie?

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • AustinBR

Make your own luck
    Staff member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Oct 22, 2012
    I have no doubt that they do.
    With a camera in your own car you have both a video and audio recording of the incident that is your property.
    Call it an extra layer of protection and certainty.
    I have no faith that the officer's camera will be on or even functioning (not implying that this is on purpose because sometimes equipment malfunctions or fails outright.)

Before this starts arguments, I believe that most police are on my side and are good people.
    Being in the firearm hobby I have many officers I call friends, they're great people who do a tremendous job.
    However, like anything else, there are also not so good ones.

For me, the camera is there mainly to document encounters with other drivers.
    There's not always others around when things happen and a camera is an excellent witness should things go south.

With that being said, does anyone have any recommendation on a good camera? Any that record speeds with GPS? I know my radar detector has a GPS built into it and constantly shows my speed, but it'd be hard to get that on camera.

swampfoxx

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jul 15, 2014
    Ponchatoula, LA
    1. Subpoena the maintenance and factory calibration records for the unit for the last year or longer (Unit ID should be on the ticket).
    2. Subpoena the daily calibration logs. Most units have to be calibrated with a tuning fork prior to each shift.
    3. Subpoena the officer's training and certification records for THAT type of unit and officers disciplinary records.
    3. Bring your witness to court.

Good luck

Whitebread

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Aug 3, 2015
    near by
    .......AND Causeway PD and the Commission along with the tolls should be abolished and the bridge turned over to the state like the CCC!

:mamoru:

With all the faults of the causeway, the causeway police and motorist assistance crew keep those tiny bridges moving. If I-55 or I-10 had no shoulders and as many traffic incidents as the causeway does they would be impassable for hours daily.

Dmvu

Rating - 93.8%
    15   1   0
    Jan 27, 2016
    New Orleans, LA.
    With that being said, does anyone have any recommendation on a good camera? Any that record speeds with GPS? I know my radar detector has a GPS built into it and constantly shows my speed, but it'd be hard to get that on camera.

What you would be looking for is a dashcam. There are plenty out there. You pay for what you get. Some have built in nav which gives you speed you are going, or some have an optional gps module you can purchase for that function. Plus it is a camera so it records everything. If anyone is interested I have a new open box papago P3 dashcam with a bunch of features gps, built in screen, 1080p recording, locations with speed cameras, lane drifting notification, and more. I lost the bracket that holds the dashcam, but a call to papago should be able to get you one. Its a $150+ dashcam. If anyone is interested PM me and I can get you more details.

machinedrummer

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Apr 5, 2010
    Kingwood, Tx
    You and your passenger tried to explain to the po po that he was wrong and y'all walked away. Sounds like y'all got off easy. I think your lucky they still aren't dragging the lake to find y'all.

JR1572

Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    58   0   0
    Nov 30, 2008
    Madisonville, LA
    :mamoru:

With all the faults of the causeway, the causeway police and motorist assistance crew keep those tiny bridges moving. If I-55 or I-10 had no shoulders and as many traffic incidents as the causeway does they would be impassable for hours daily.

The Causeway averages 30 accidents a month. Compare that number with the number of vehicles that cross it daily, it's a very low number.

JR1572

MOTOR51

Rating - 100%
    72   0   0
    Dec 23, 2008
    here
    1. Subpoena the maintenance and factory calibration records for the unit for the last year or longer (Unit ID should be on the ticket).
    2. Subpoena the daily calibration logs. Most units have to be calibrated with a tuning fork prior to each shift.
    3. Subpoena the officer's training and certification records for THAT type of unit and officers disciplinary records.

Good luck

Please explain to me how the radar is calibrated by the officer with a tuning fork. I just want to be clear so the OP doesn't get the wrong information and you sound knowledgeable on the subject.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

MOTOR51

Rating - 100%
    72   0   0
    Dec 23, 2008
    here
    Consider installing a camera in your car in case of future incidents.
    They're cheap and provide a perfect record of what actually happened.

The camera will probably not help you with a speeding ticket but will help tremendously in a crash.

Spleen

Day of the Rope!
    Rating - 100%
    31   0   0
    Jul 26, 2010
    Jefferson Parish

Very soon there will be some real nice smartphone apps.
    http://www.pcmag.com/commentary/345...-and-remembers-bad-drivers?source=autosuggest

Otherwise, it's quite a competitive market.
    I'd try searching for dash cam reviews and going from there.

Last edited:

Whitebread

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Aug 3, 2015
    near by
    The Causeway averages 30 accidents a month. Compare that number with the number of vehicles that cross it daily, it's a very low number.

JR1572

Notice I used the word incident. Because there is no shoulders a flat tire can cause a CF on the causeway, but because of the commitment to keeping the bridges safe and flowing by the causeway police instead of a a giant hour plus CF like we see on the spillway bridge especially its usually cleared up pretty quickly. I have never spent more than an hour on the causeway, but I have be on the I-10 spillway bridge for 2 1/2 hours more than once.

Whitebread

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Aug 3, 2015
    near by
    I know it's confusing for some of you guys who think I'm an outlaw cop hater to give props to police who work traffic details, But I call it like I see it.

Whitebread

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Aug 3, 2015
    near by
    The camera will probably not help you with a speeding ticket but will help tremendously in a crash.

Hey look we agree see it can happen. A very high end system that logs everything might. But short of it logging a time date location and speed it would still be hard to prove otherwise.

Whitebread

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Aug 3, 2015
    near by
    There is no evidence of this.

Is there a "smoking gun"? No. But I can take to several municipalities that make more in ticket revenue than they do business license and sales tax combined. And I can then show you posted limits and how they drop I some cases 20mph in less than 500 feet. And then provide you with multiple accounts where someone was ticketed for 2-3 miles over the posted. Trust me it happens.

Last edited:

DAVE_M

_________
    Rating - 100%
    32   0   0
    Apr 17, 2009
    ________
    Is there a "smoking gun"? No. But I can take to several municipalities that make more in ticket revenue than they do business license and sales tax combined. And I can then show you posted limits and how they drop I some cases 20mph in less than 500 feet. And then provide you with multiple accounts where someone was ticketed for 2-3 miles over the posted. Trust me it happens.

So you have no evidence? No? Thought not.

John_

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Nov 23, 2013
    Hammond, LA

Good luck

Yeah, good luck with that! It's a freaking speeding ticket, not a DWI or vehicular manslaughter charge........LOL

Barry J

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 5, 2011
    Thibodaux
    Please explain to me how the radar is calibrated by the officer with a tuning fork. I just want to be clear so the OP doesn't get the wrong information and you sound knowledgeable on the subject.

The radar is calibrated by a technician in a shop somewhere. He fills out a certification for that unit, including the serial number of the unit and tuning forks assigned to that unit. The officer uses the tuning forks to check the calibration at the beginning of every shift. The officer is usually not qualified to calibrate a radar.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    adgram1013
    Top Bottom