I hate weed eating around the pond.

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • drumz2129

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 29, 2009
    Sulphur, La.
    EaA few years ago I had a 1.5 acre pond dug in my front yard.

427a0cc8.jpg

It is now stocked with channel cat and copper nose blue gill. This spring I will stock it with large mouth bass.

Now that my pond is full, I have had the joyous task of weed eating the bank. :rolleyes: I had a spare push mower that I used for a solution to this problem. Here is what I came up with:

Bracket mounted
    IMG_3163.jpg

Boom attached. I did away with the shocks. It made the pivot a little stiff.
    IMG_3164.jpg

IMG_3166.jpg

Stored position takes up no more floor space than a push mower.
    IMG_3207.jpg

Here is a video of the first test:

[/VIDEO]

I played with the angle a little and sharpened the blade after the video was shot and it seems to work even better. On the next pass I took it all the way to the edge of the waYter. It sure beats holding a weed eater while on a slope.
    I am not too sure how well the wheels will hold up. When they give out I plan on making a set of height adjustable rigid skids.

I just thought I would share.

Last edited:

drumz2129

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 29, 2009
    Sulphur, La.
    Thanks, I guess I should mention how it is being driven. If you look at the top of the last picture there is a piece of 2x2 tubing that makes a "t" at the end of the boom arm. This plugs into receiver hitch on a 3 point trailer mover I made for the back of my tractor and allows me to adjust the offset from the side of the tractor. I use the lift arms to raise and lower the boom so that it follows the slope. I don't have a picture handy at the moment.

Last edited:

Guate_shooter

LA CHP Instructor # 522
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Dec 4, 2009
    (Breaux Bridge)
    Thats pretty SWEET!,

My backyard dies to the "canal" and I hate to weed-eat there just because that close to the water I have seen Water Mocasines and Gators so I do a quick pass and leave.

Young_Gun

Rating - 100%
    46   0   0
    May 7, 2010
    Baton Rouge,LA
    awesome idea. Maybe you could open the chute and switch sides so you can go faster and all the clippings wont shoot towards you. Just my recommendation

drumz2129

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 29, 2009
    Sulphur, La.
    You could modify it a little and have it roll on the ground using just the weight of the mower. It would need some freedom in the vertical plane.

It does roll on the ground under it's own weight, to an extent. The chain is to limit the angle of operation to 10 degrees off horizontal, I have a turnbuckel to add for a finer degree of control. The reason to limit the angle is because this push mower, like most residential grade mowers, uses a splash lubricated engine, that if tilted too far, will starve the bearings of oil. Briggs recommends a maximum angle of continuious operation of 15 degrees. I allowed 5 degree of sidehill of the tractor. Next time I use it I will put an protractor on the hood an see if I am even getting 5 degree of angle.

Last edited:

drumz2129

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 29, 2009
    Sulphur, La.
    awesome idea. Maybe you could open the chute and switch sides so you can go faster and all the clippings wont shoot towards you. Just my recommendation

The plan is to build a chute that hooks to the rear bagger chute and discharges the clippings to the rear and slightly away from the water to keep them out the pond. This was just a test run to see how well the idea worked so I could change the bracket if needed before I paint everything.

Top Bottom