I need help with my Remingotn 700......

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • eganx

Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Jul 22, 2008
    was Monroe LA, now Kingston WA
    So I bought a Remington 700 VTR in 308 from my father-in-law(he put 20 rounds through it and put it up), and have been trying to get it to shoot accurately. I have tried working up a load for it with some 150gr FMJBT bullets with no success. Went up in half grain increments trying to find the most accurate charge(powder is H4895), all quite inaccurate, all about 3-4" groups. I shot some 147gr FMJBT bullets over 39.5 gr H4895 in some military brass that grouped ok, about an inch, but ended up being inconsistent. They would goup ok with a flyer or two or might group poorly.

So I figured I needed a control for this, I shot 5 wiinchester supreme balistic tip and they grouped around 4" or so.

So, it looks like to me the problem is in the gun or me. I don't think its me(or I'd like to not think its me). I can put a 4" group at 100 with my FAL(open sights), so I'm thinking its the gun.

The scope is tight, so what else could it be??? I am starting to get frustrated with this thing. I know the stock is garbage, but if the gun is this inaccurate out of the box I don;t want to bother swapping the stock for a good bedded stock. any ideas?????

CZowner07

XD>Glock but<CZ
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 15, 2008
    Saint Martinville/Lafayette
    So I bought a Remington 700 VTR in 308 from my father-in-law(he put 20 rounds through it and put it up), and have been trying to get it to shoot accurately. I have tried working up a load for it with some 150gr FMJBT bullets with no success. Went up in half grain increments trying to find the most accurate charge(powder is H4895), all quite inaccurate, all about 3-4" groups. I shot some 147gr FMJBT bullets over 39.5 gr H4895 in some military brass that grouped ok, about an inch, but ended up being inconsistent. They would goup ok with a flyer or two or might group poorly.

So I figured I needed a control for this, I shot 5 wiinchester supreme balistic tip and they grouped around 4" or so.
    So, it looks like to me the problem is in the gun or me. I don't think its me(or I'd like to not think its me). I can put a 4" group at 100 with my FAL(open sights), so I'm thinking its the gun.

The scope is tight, so what else could it be??? I am starting to get frustrated with this thing. I know the stock is garbage, but if the gun is this inaccurate out of the box I don;t want to bother swapping the stock for a good bedded stock. any ideas?????

I shoot the winchester ballistic silver tips in my 308 and they shoot verry accuratly so it might be something with the scope or gun

Request Dust Off

Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Feb 11, 2007
    Westbank N.O.
    http://www.snipercentral.com/vtr.htm
    "The VTR shoots ok, but I would not say good, at least in comparison to the other heavy barrel Remington rifles available. We did manage to get one sub .5" group at 100 yards, but we had to really work at it. The small group of the day was .448", but the average group size of the good groups fired (meaning no obviously bad called flyers, etc) was only .858". This is not quite up to the normal accuracy we typically will see out of a 700P, LTR, SPS-Varmint, etc. I believe this is due to the drastic reduction of metal that is removed making the triangle barrel profile. Though the accuracy is still sub 1 MOA, it is just not what we have come to expect from Remington tactical/varmint rifles."

I would check the bore 1st Including inspecting the crown and chamber.

Check stock fit and if action screws are tightened correctly.

At this point you aren't losing anything by checking the scope install down to the bases. I would even remove them & reinstall. What scope is on the rifle?

What bullets? I know 150FMJBTs but what brand? Measure the O.D. just to rule that out.

At 3-4 inch groups I'd be looking for a combination of problems. I would think your rounds would not be the issue. Most anything that would cause that bad a problem would jump out at you.

Is there any pattern to the groups or are they just sporadic?

eganx

Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Jul 22, 2008
    I am shooting form a bench with bags, the scope is a 3-9 Burris fullfield II.

I know this is not supposed to be a great shooter but 3-4" groups @ 100 out of a 700??? really???

the groups are sporadic, the bullets measure a true .308. I pulled the action out of the stock(noticed that is not a floating barrel) and reinstalled it when I got home today, I would have done the scope and rings but didn't have any torx drivers handy.

I checked the bore a month or so ago, didn't see anything, but I'll look again. what would I be looking for on the crown???

Last edited:

Request Dust Off

Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Feb 11, 2007
    Westbank N.O.
    Yeah 3-4 is not acceptable.

Check the eye piece on the scope itself. I had one that was defective and took a while to find the problem. I'd get a flyer & it was always 4" out. (at 100yds) one minute the flyer would be on the horizontal and then next group the flyer would go vertical. I would get 2 holes touching at 100 and then the 4" flyer or stringing sometimes.

Problem I have is I always figure it is me, I have had more problems with scopes and sights than any other aspects on guns. I'm learning when to know it is time to check the hardware. My brother sights in a lot of scoped guns & will no longer go to the range without removing & reinstalling the scope.

Defects on the crown like a dent or damage. It need to be symetrical and concentric not off center. The bullet and gases need to leave with everything equal 360 degrees if that explanation makes sense. look around the muzzle brake cuts also. I'd clean the bore as it can't hurt.

Last edited:
    Rating - 100%
    38   0   0
    Mar 24, 2009
    Gonzales
    Yeah 3-4 is not acceptable.

Check the eye piece on the scope itself. I had one that was defective and took a while to find the problem. I'd get a flyer & it was always 4" out. (at 100yds) one minute the flyer would be on the horizontal and then next group the flyer would go vertical. I would get 2 holes touching at 100 and then the 4" flyer or stringing sometimes.

Problem I have is I always figure it is me, I have had more problems with scopes and sights than any other aspects on guns. I'm learning when to know it is time to check the hardware. My brother sights in a lot of scoped guns & will no longer go to the range without removing & reinstalling the scope.

Defects on the crown like a dent or damage. It need to be symetrical and concentric not off center. The bullet and gases need to leave with everything equal 360 degrees if that explanation makes sense. look around the muzzle brake cuts also. I'd clean the bore as it can't hurt.

+1 scope loose internally and floating, had this problem years back with a bushy scope, new scope fixed every thing.

Request Dust Off

Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Feb 11, 2007
    Westbank N.O.
    Ditch the FMJ bullets and buy some Ballistic tips or Sierra Match Kings.

I thought bullets also.
    The rifle hasn't performed well with anything else either.

Eganx
    I would shoot another rifle or have someone shoot yours. I'm not cracking on your marksmanship. I had another shooter shoot my rifle produce the 4" flyers and it did the same thing to him. I thought maybe I was flinching.

Request Dust Off

Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Feb 11, 2007
    Westbank N.O.
    +1 scope loose internally and floating, had this problem years back with a bushy scope, new scope fixed every thing.

Mine was a cheap Bushnell Banner. You could feel it externally after you knew what to look for. I noticed it during adjusting the focus on a white wall that was paneling painted white. I had it lined upon a vertical line. after touching the eyepiece it was off the line.

"new scope fixed every thing" and left me with no excuse.

eganx

Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Jul 22, 2008
    I shot some winchester ballistic tips today with no success. I'm gona have a friend shoot it soon, talked with him today as I was leaving the range. I figured if he shot it, it would rule me out as the issue.....

Tulse Luper

Besmirched!
    Rating - 100%
    64   0   0
    Oct 29, 2008
    Metairie
    If possible, borrow another scope and try it out. Burris has a lifetime warranty if it turns out to be the scope. Also, check to see if the stock is loose.

Request Dust Off

Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Feb 11, 2007
    Westbank N.O.
    The only other thing I can think of is to put the scope on a .22 and see how it works. You can get a set of rings fairly cheap. Cheaper than centerfire ammo. I always try a new scope on a .22 if at all possible.

From all the info I would look at the scope and the mounting as primary suspects and check the rest of the issues also. That stock probably has a lot of flex in the forearm. It can hit the barrel.

Like Dan said about the bullets also. FMJ (open base) aren't touted for their accuracy.

kajuntriton

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   0
    May 2, 2009
    BR, G-Town, P-Ville
    Ditch the FMJ bullets and buy some Ballistic tips or Sierra Match Kings.

THIS! ^^^^

Also double check the scope and mounts for tightness. Something isn't right! That rifle should be driving tacks!
    You may have to go as far as trying a diferent scope IF mounts and scope are tight!
    I am assuming you have cleaned the barrel very well, if the gun was new and not cleaned correctly you may have some fouling in the rifling.

jphilp87

Glock
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 18, 2006
    Ascension
    All this is great advice. I would definitely let someone else shoot it. That is the cheapest and easiest way to control your tests. My first thought was scope being loose.

eganx

Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Jul 22, 2008
    I just checked the scope mounts, all are tight. I have a box of federal with ballistic tips that I'll take to the range next weekend. I'm gona have a friend and my father in law shoot it.

I hate to say it but I hope its me and that there is nothing wrong with the rifle. I just don't understand how I could do so poorly with it. I'm not a great marksman, and I don't have much experience with scoped rifles, but I can consistently shoot a good 4"-5" group @ 100 with my sks, fal, mini 30(all with open sights) so I don't know........maybe I'm the one who needs the help...

Request Dust Off

Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Feb 11, 2007
    Westbank N.O.
    I just checked the scope mounts, all are tight. I have a box of federal with ballistic tips that I'll take to the range next weekend. I'm gona have a friend and my father in law shoot it.

I hate to say it but I hope its me and that there is nothing wrong with the rifle. I just don't understand how I could do so poorly with it. I'm not a great marksman, and I don't have much experience with scoped rifles, but I can consistently shoot a good 4"-5" group @ 100 with my sks, fal, mini 30(all with open sights) so I don't know........maybe I'm the one who needs the help...

Scopes take a little getting used to. You still need to concentrtate on Natural Point of Aim. NPA is not right if when you close your eyes for a a time and open them the crosshairs or sights have moved. You are trying to force the shot from where it wants to go to where you want it to go. Your cheek weld needs to be very consistent.

Also shooting off of bags or a bench just doesn't do magical things. It is still a techique that needs to be developed. I do better off of a bipod prone, just because I've tried that more.

I know my technique could use a lot of work.

Ritten

SSST Mad Scientist
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Dec 8, 2007
    Thibodaux, Louisiana
    Rule out factors one at a time. Let someone else shoot a group. Ammo is also an easy fix. Ditch the FMJ's for checking accuracy and get a box of 168 Federal Gold Medal Match or some 168 Black Hills match ammo and fire a couple of 5 round groups. The spread of the grouping will tell you a lot if you're holding consistently. Two or three rounds hitting in the same place with another separate group can indicate stock flex. Check to make sure the mount and rings are torqued PROPERLY.......if that doesn't work then try a different scope.

Dry fire it a lot and concentrate on your follow through to make sure you're not anticipating or pulling. Get used to the trigger pull and know when/where it breaks. Work on having a solid and consistent cheek weld, shoulder pressure, grip. Work on the basics.....Breathing, Relax, Aim, Sight-picture, Squeeze, Follow through. If shooting 1" at 100yds was as easy as most people think then we'd all be High Masters.

Top Bottom