Idiot Wal-Mart Employee

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Bayoupiper

New Curmudgeon
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 28, 2008
    Iowa, LA
    Why not? CC/OC, the outcome is the same if you get seen at a business like this. If the employees are not up to speed on their own policies, then that makes them a danger to the business and it's customers. I'm not big on OC. Just exploring the idea. I know that CC is the way to go and the way that I plan to go. My big issue is a store that sells guns having no clue on what the policy on guns is or over reacting to a customer that walks through the doors with one. Having a document in hand will accomplish two things....it will show the employee that you are better informed about his job than he is and maybe teach him that he needs to get up to speed on his company. It will also look pretty ignorant on the store's part if they call the cops and you produce an e-mail from Wal-Mart authorizing what they say isn't authorized. Might even make the cops think twice about how to handle future calls.

So now you are on a mission to educate the police?

Take the previous advice.

You are not ready to follow in MEM's footsteps, Grasshopper.

Witiku

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 28, 2006
    ...Doesn't hurt to shock an employee.... Even better when the cop shakes his head and walks out....

It does hurt people to be in fear and confrontation with an armed man they do not know. And yes, deep down, you do want to intimidate all with your legal carry, admit it if only to yourself.
    Seen it in another instance once. PRICELESS. When a cop finds out that the employee isn't following his own protocols and jumped the gun and called them out,

Protocol? a good Policy for the gun owner could be to leave, ease the employees mind(s) by your exit and send a letter to the store in a week or so. A letter of appreciation for their employees, CS and products etc, Not the 'I might just have to own me art[sic] of Wally World.:mad:" that you posted in the OP.
    it does nothing but help you and everyone that comes behind you. It's not about educating the cops at all.

Another equally likely scenario is the employee(s) filing some internal complaint about having to deal with armed confrontational people for a lousy few bucks an hour. (Idiot(s), looking forward to getting home to the fly... not dealing with you and your gun.)

Management could change their policy and BAN all firearms from their property except for those of the police. Will this help 'all that comes behind' you?

That's a rhetorical question and in fact this whole post in reply to your OCing is in danger of getting deleted before I send it.

Please don't help. but the whole "Full of **** and vinegar" thing is familiar.

The Race is Starting!

Bayoupiper

New Curmudgeon
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 28, 2008
    Iowa, LA
    The way I see it, you are trying to "rub their noses" in it so to speak.

And your "doesn't hurt to shock an employee" comment backs that up.

You know what happens when you rub somebody's nose in something?

They usually get pissed and retaliate if and when they can.

As Witiku said, they can change their policy any time they like.

IF that happens, we will have people like you who chose to irresponsibly OC to thank.

Bayoupiper

New Curmudgeon
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 28, 2008
    Iowa, LA
    Show me where I OC'd! I did not! I was being responsible and checking ahead. You don't get what I'm trying to say at all. IF and only IF the cops got called, would there be an issue. You have to, at some point, admit that a business needs to be familiar with their own policies. I was in business management far too long to know that people check us out as business operators. I've had customers hand me literature that my Corp. office sent out that none of us in the location had ever seen. Yeas it pisses me off. One thing we did understand very clearly is that we has customers from out of state in an environment where guns were not permitted and we NEVER called the cops when someone strolled up with one. If we ever had an employee fly off the handle because someone walked up with a holstered weapon posing no threat and start hollering "OH MY GOD HE's GOT A GUN". that employee would be pulled and trained as to the policy in a heart beat. It's about being in a business position with expected issues and not training my employees on those expected issues.

Anyway - I'm not OC'ing as it seems to be taboo and too many people don't seem to understand the concept of right and wrong. Right is to be educated about your surroundings. Wrong is to panic and become part of the problem. I never said that I would challenge the employees unless they bypassed me and went straight to the cops. That would be an unprofessional move on the part of the retailer and should it cause me more than a conversation and an invitation to leave, then yes, legal opinions would be sought. I'm not sue happy, but I've dealt with enough legal issues throughout my career to understand how the system works and an employer's responsibility to their customers. Contacting a business as to their policy is not wrong. Showing up and assuming it is okay and being asked to leave or the cops being called, where it could be prevented, is wrong on my part.

Anyway - thanks for making me feel so welcome. Maybe I'll visit back when I get my CC.

OC is not taboo, but as you said, many people do not understand it.

We are not exactly trying to discourage you, but you need to be able to look at the issue from all sides.

We already have way too many BAD OC role models so do not be one.

Witiku

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 28, 2006
    Anyway - thanks for making me feel so welcome. Maybe I'll visit back when I get my CC.

If we say were sorry will ya stay? :rofl:

Don't go away mad. This is a great group, we sometimes even OC. :bowrofl:

Seriously, that last post was a more cogent argument/explanation.

Unit505

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 2, 2010
    OC is not taboo, but as you said, many people do not understand it.

We are not exactly trying to discourage you, but you need to be able to look at the issue from all sides.

We already have way too many BAD OC role models so do not be one.

XXX

Last edited:

Bayoupiper

New Curmudgeon
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 28, 2008
    Iowa, LA
    There are tons of experienced members here.

And that experience is in just about every area of firearms.

Be that, law enforcement, OC, CC, troubleshooting, sharpshooting, construction, modification, whatever.

We can't make understand, but we can try.

dwr461

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 23, 2009
    Baton Rouge
    Someone asked what the problem is with OC'ing. I'll tell you why I won't. I'm not trained on weapons retention techniques. A weapon on hip is no different than a LEO with a handgun there. They know that no matter what happens there's always a handgun involved... theirs. So they carry in holsters that help prevent this from happening and are trained in ways to avoid this happening. That being said they can still be caught unaware and be injured or killed with their own weapon. I suspect because cops don't want to live their entire lives at that level of threat they don't carry OC when off duty although they certainly could. If I'm carrying it concealed I can use a holster that's easier to draw from without the additional locks because people don't know I have one on me. Plus I really like to left the hell alone in public. In my line of work in public safety every yahoo in the world wants to talk to me and feels their allowed to because I'm in a conspicuous uniform. I get all the attention I need from the public at work.

If you're OC'ing and something does go down. Like Walmart getting robbed for instance you're now a target to the crooks. As such you may be left with no choice but to defend yourself. Plus others will look to you to do something. However pulling your gun to defend Walmart isn't always the best idea. There are lots on innocent bystanders that could be hit by either you or the bad guys. Some the toughest stories I've heard from a retired cop happened when he carrying off duty have decided not to engage the bad guys during a robbery because the odds were not in his favor. He chose to let the robbery go down and to let the bad guy leave without enaging him. Fortunately no one was hurt and they caught the guy later with no violence. But he had that option because no one knew he had a weapon and was a cop.

So if you want to open carry that's fine by me. Just be willing to step up if something goes wrong.

dave

Last edited:

sraacke

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    St. Gabriel
    whywouldyoudothat_2.jpg

This can not end well.
    This must be a joke.
    In Before The Lock.

Last edited:

CloudStrife

Why so serious?
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 5, 2010
    Baton Rouge, LA
    What's the deal with people bashing OCers? I think most agree it's not the smartest way to carry since you give up the element of surprise and make yourself the first target, but all the negative attention that OCing might attract is the fault of uninformed people or paranoid liberals.

Win1917

Win1917
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 13, 2009
    Lafayette
    It does hurt people to be in fear and confrontation with an armed man they do not know....Another equally likely scenario is the employee(s) filing some internal complaint about having to deal with armed confrontational people for a lousy few bucks an hour. (Idiot(s), looking forward to getting home to the fly... not dealing with you and your gun.)

Good points. I don't carry a gun or have a license to carry one but I can say that having been a manager at a large retail store the last thing anyone is interested in is gun issues. In other words, if you're licensed to carry it, carry it, act like a normal customer, don't bother anyone with it and nobody will pay any attention to you. If stores have to start actively dealing with customers who want to discuss gun issues they're going to get pissed about it in a big hurry which doesn't do any gun owners any good. Just my .02 as an "outsider" (non-carrying gun owner).

Dave328

Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Jul 11, 2007
    Gretna
    Wally World never stopped selling firearms, but they have greatly decreased the amount of stores that sell firearms; they are few and far between.
    They defiantly don't sell @ Wal-Marts in "urban" areas.

:)

I didn't know that. I thought they all stopped after all that Rosie BS. I'm almost 100% sure none in the NOLA area do anymore. I bought my PT58 and Mod.85CH from Walmart way back when they sold SKS' for $79. Ahhh, those were the days.:wtc:

jmcrawf1

Rating - 100%
    70   0   0
    Jan 20, 2008
    Madisonville
    I didn't know that. I thought they all stopped after all that Rosie BS. I'm almost 100% sure none in the NOLA area do anymore. I bought my PT58 and Mod.85CH from Walmart way back when they sold SKS' for $79. Ahhh, those were the days.:wtc:

Every wal mart on the northshore still carries firearms. I know for a fact Covington and Hammond do. I faintly remember Slidell carrying them as well, but im not so sure.

Duck Jenkins

Lone Wolf
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 30, 2010
    NO/LA Area
    Good points. I don't carry a gun or have a license to carry one but I can say that having been a manager at a large retail store the last thing anyone is interested in is gun issues. In other words, if you're licensed to carry it, carry it, act like a normal customer, don't bother anyone with it and nobody will pay any attention to you. If stores have to start actively dealing with customers who want to discuss gun issues they're going to get pissed about it in a big hurry which doesn't do any gun owners any good. Just my .02 as an "outsider" (non-carrying gun owner).

100%........ That was my earlier point but not said as well. Bottom Line is a private store can set their own rules. Keep acting like you don't know what your doing and they will tell you. Do the right thing, for the right reasons, and everyone else is too dang busy trying to figure out why the fat girl is in spandex to notice you OCing.

Top Bottom