IDPA Club Starting

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • bigtattoo79

Rating - 100%
    94   0   0
    Sep 12, 2009
    LA
    You know, a possible option for you for with your preferred self-defense setup with a dot would be shooting Open division USPSA just for trigger time and not worrying about being competitive with the Open blasters with big stick mags. As long as you follow safety rules (and at the discretion of the match director regarding holsters—and remember USPA has no rule forbidding IWB but a floppy snap-on that pulls out at the draw would probably raise official eyebrows, and appropriately) you get to run and gun to your heart's content. I've seen some SWAT guys from N.O. come to a three gun match and drop to their knees to reload, just like they trained. No problem as long done safely…in USPSA we still call it "freestyle" don't we ;) .

I don't run a dot right now so I would go to USPSA limited. I was pointing out that a LOT of people do run dots on their carry guns now days. I've shot USPSA production and was fine with 10 rounds I've always thought of USPSA as a sport/Game. While I understand IDPA is a sport/game the name was/is very misleading to me and I think it's gonna be a hard sell with all the USPSA we already have.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

spanky

Gold Member
    Rating - 100%
    141   0   0
    Sep 12, 2006
    Gonzales, LA
    I don't run a dot right now so I would go to USPSA limited. I was pointing out that a LOT of people do run dots on their carry guns now days. I've shot USPSA production and was fine with 10 rounds I've always thought of USPSA as a sport/Game. While I understand IDPA is a sport/game the name was/is very misleading to me and I think it's gonna be a hard sell with all the USPSA we already have.

IDPA is USPSA, just with different rules. ;) They're both games.

cagle

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 15, 2011
    Prairieville
    Yes we do have a division for those who want to shoot a full race gun and load up to full capacity, but their score will not go towards competition in the match and the competitor will not gain or loose any rankings within the IDPA while shooting that specific gun. I will have to get with the rest of the current members and make sure that we are going to allow this division to be shot at our local matches but I do not see why you couldn't shoot with us using that type of gun. I do not want anyone feeling discouraged from wanting to come out and give IDPA a try. I personally want everyone to have a good time with what ever gun they bring.

Rule stated as follows from the updated rule book off the IDPA Website:

8.2.7. Not For Competition
    8.2.7.1. IDPA encourages shooters to practice their gun handling skills with commonly carried firearms. Many everyday carry firearms do not fit into the 5 competition divisions.
    8.2.7.2. IDPA allows clubs to add a “Not for Competition” scoring division for Tier 1 matches only. This allows calibers smaller than 9mm, carry optics, and other pistols which do not fit into the 5 competition divisions to participate in local club matches.
    8.2.7.3. All other IDPA equipment rules apply for holsters and loading device holders as well as their placement on the body. Match Directors also have the option to allow junior shooters with .22 rimfire firearms to begin strings at low ready in lieu of requiring a holster.
    8.2.7.4. All IDPA membership rules apply.
    8.2.7.5. Clubs are not required to implement this provision, and Match Directors are allowed discretion with implementation so that match quality remains high.

Do they have a division that allows the shooter to fill mags to capacity and use a red dot?

bigtattoo79

Rating - 100%
    94   0   0
    Sep 12, 2009
    LA
    Yes we do have a division for those who want to shoot a full race gun and load up to full capacity, but their score will not go towards competition in the match and the competitor will not gain or loose any rankings within the IDPA while shooting that specific gun. I will have to get with the rest of the current members and make sure that we are going to allow this division to be shot at our local matches but I do not see why you couldn't shoot with us using that type of gun. I do not want anyone feeling discouraged from wanting to come out and give IDPA a try. I personally want everyone to have a good time with what ever gun they bring.

Rule stated as follows from the updated rule book off the IDPA Website:

8.2.7. Not For Competition
    8.2.7.1. IDPA encourages shooters to practice their gun handling skills with commonly carried firearms. Many everyday carry firearms do not fit into the 5 competition divisions.
    8.2.7.2. IDPA allows clubs to add a “Not for Competition” scoring division for Tier 1 matches only. This allows calibers smaller than 9mm, carry optics, and other pistols which do not fit into the 5 competition divisions to participate in local club matches.
    8.2.7.3. All other IDPA equipment rules apply for holsters and loading device holders as well as their placement on the body. Match Directors also have the option to allow junior shooters with .22 rimfire firearms to begin strings at low ready in lieu of requiring a holster.
    8.2.7.4. All IDPA membership rules apply.
    8.2.7.5. Clubs are not required to implement this provision, and Match Directors are allowed discretion with implementation so that match quality remains high.

I feel it opens the door for a lot of shooters that don't like the take it how it is or go home advice given above.
    I don't really care about any IDPA ranking I just wanna shoot the way I carry everyday and improve my skills. I know a few people that feel the same way so is it better for the club if we shoot and don't count our score or go home and not give any support at all?
    Y'all's club and I'm fine with whatever choice y'all make I was just pointing out ways to get more people out shooting with the new club.

Thank you very much for your reply it was very helpful.

Last edited:

Ump65

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 7, 2011
    Port Allen, LA
    First off, I want to say thank you for the support. This is going to be a big task that we are taking on and hopefully it will all work out for the best. This is as much a learning experience you me as it will be for you.

I am working on sending out email as best I can, I am on vacation and try to catch them up when I can.

As for all of the rules questions and modifying them, they are what they are. As we do the first few matches, the only rules we will be lenient on are the game rules. The safety rules will be followed to the letter. We want each shooter to leave with the same number of holes in their body they showed up with. No extras. When I say lenient, I mean letting shooters shoot without a cover garment or not getting called for not using cover correctly. As the club gains membership and we are recognized by IDPA as a sanctioned club, all rules will apply. No exceptions.

Again, thank you for your support and helping this get kicked off. It is going to be an adventure. I am looking forward to seeing and meeting all of you at one of the matches.

Last edited:

Sigfan287

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 7, 2014
    Baton Rouge, LA
    I would like to know how can I get more involved? I'm a newbie to pistol shooting competitions. I've competed in skeet, trap, and sporting clays competitions in the past and have been very involved with 4-H youth shooting sports. How do I join and sign up for IDPA and the new club? Are there a lot of local (within Louisiana, South mississippi, and East Texas) matches to compete in? Do they have beginner/novice divisions for shooters with little to no experience in the competitions? My interest in pistol shooting has grown more and more in the past few months and I want to be able to enhance my skills, enjoy some friendly competition with fellow shooters, and have some fun as well.

Thanks for any help

cagle

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 15, 2011
    Prairieville
    I would like to know how can I get more involved? I'm a newbie to pistol shooting competitions. I've competed in skeet, trap, and sporting clays competitions in the past and have been very involved with 4-H youth shooting sports. How do I join and sign up for IDPA and the new club? Are there a lot of local (within Louisiana, South mississippi, and East Texas) matches to compete in? Do they have beginner/novice divisions for shooters with little to no experience in the competitions? My interest in pistol shooting has grown more and more in the past few months and I want to be able to enhance my skills, enjoy some friendly competition with fellow shooters, and have some fun as well.

Thanks for any help

You can join IDPA on their web site IDPA.com, you can join our local club by coming down to a match. We are starting up a new club and so far are the only IDPA sanctioned club in Louisiana so far. The first match is march 15 in Thibodeaux at Southern Shooting Center (979 Hwy 3185, Thibodaux, LA).

For anymore info you can e-mail Kris at KWalley23@Yahoo.com or my self at AMCFabrication@hotmail.com

cagle

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 15, 2011
    Prairieville
    I'm in New Orleans. I've never done it before, but I would be interested. What does it take?

A gun, 3 mags, holster, and mag holster. Bring 100rnds of ammo, if you're a good shot you will go home with left over ammo. $20 for your first match and a willingness to learn and have fun.

cagle

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 15, 2011
    Prairieville
    Stage 1
    JP_3_2013_COF1.jpg

Stage 2
    JP_3_2013_COF2.jpg

Stage 3
    JP_3_2013_COF3.jpg

Stage 4