If you had to buy a used 4WD SUV, what would you get?

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • SVTFreak

Huh?
    Rating - 100%
    34   0   0
    Jan 20, 2009
    Galvez
    It's a JEEP thing, they wouldn't understand. lol

Actually, I tried to understand it when I bought my xterra. Underpowered, underwhelming, noisy, old tech and rides terribly. Even my mom and dad who LOVE jeeps chose the xterra after driving them back to back. The only advantage to jeep is if you are going to do some serious modding, parts support is better. But for a daily driver, anyone who drives them both and still chooses the jeep is not open minded (which is fine, their decision).

edman87k5

Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Oct 22, 2007
    Ventress, LA
    You are welcome to bring any xterra and attempt to follow one of my jeeps. I have stock, lightly modified and heavily modified so bring any xterra you want. The only category an xterra can beat jeep is on road every day comfort.
    Let's face it, they both get crappy mileage and are slow and underpowered in stock form.
    And no chick ever said " oh, you drive an xterra, I want to ride in that"
    As for closed minded, pot? Kettle?
    My wife went from a yukon Denali to a jk and wouldn't have it any other way. Jeep is much more road friendly and comfortable nowadays (read sissified).

deuxlatch

Airbus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 3, 2011
    Lafayette, La/Houston Tx.
    I have no problem with the X-Terra, though I've never owned or driven one. Of course you don't buy a Jeep for the comfort, but for style and capability. Now real JEEPs are built, not bought, and those have their own social class all by themselves. You must also take into consideration J.E.E.P. stands for Just Empty Every Pocket when you venture into that realm.

I had a built '82 CJ7 through my college years and for about 7 years after. Including the used cost and all the upgrades and modifications made over the years, I came out ahead when I finally sold it and not a day goes by that I don't regret seeing it go, especially now that my son is about to get his drivers license.

Suburbazine

01001000 01101001 0011111
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 21, 2008
    Baton Rouge, LA
    Ok, let me rule out a few suggestions for you:

BMW: He probably can't afford to keep it running
    Land Rover: Engineered by the Devil to continuously break. Land Rover owners are known for their ability to ignore being hit with baseball bats.
    Volvo: About as reliable as an M1A2 Abrams. In other words, not.
    Jaguar: Engineered by someone who steals souls.
    Mercedes: Runs on hopes and dreams and lots of $$$. Falls apart slightly less often than Land Rover.
    Subaru: Inspires people to try to drive like a professional autocross driver. Success rate is low.
    Jeep: Built for the day that Hell freezes over. All the good ones don't have doors or windows.

All the ones I didn't list are probably a better choice.

Last edited:

RedStickChick

-Global Mod-
    Premium Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 6, 2012
    Baton Rouge
    Ok, let me rule out a few suggestions for you:

BMW: He probably can't afford to keep it running
    Land Rover: Engineered by the Devil to continuously break. Land Rover owners are known for their ability to ignore being hit with baseball bats.
    Volvo: About as reliable as an M1A2 Abrams. In other words, not.
    Jaguar: Engineered by someone who steals souls.
    Mercedes: Runs on hopes and dreams and lots of $$$. Falls apart slightly less often than Land Rover.
    Subaru: Inspires people to try to drive like a professional autocross driver. Success rate is low.
    Jeep: Built for the day that Hell freezes over. All the good ones don't have doors or windows.

All the ones I didn't list are probably a better choice.

Hah.

These are all far out of our budget and I don't think he wants a Subaru either.

sportsbud

Rating - 100%
    50   0   0
    Jan 16, 2013
    NOLA
    M35A3 of course snow is no issue and those pesky folks that tailgate no issue either... and chicks dig military trucks too!!!

678A.jpg

Magdump

Don’t troll me bro!
    Rating - 100%
    163   0   0
    Dec 31, 2013
    Hammond, Louisiana
    I'll offer some real answers:

Used and easy/cheap to work on for a college student, if it were me, I'd look for...

An older K5 blazer

Older big style ford bronco, before they downsized

Toyota pickup in 4WD

There's a strong aftermarket parts supply for these because so many were made, they are all dependable vehicles and the price should be right. If I lived in a extra hilly area I'd ditch the yota for one of the US models with a small block V8

SVTFreak

Huh?
    Rating - 100%
    34   0   0
    Jan 20, 2009
    Galvez
    You are welcome to bring any xterra and attempt to follow one of my jeeps. I have stock, lightly modified and heavily modified so bring any xterra you want. The only category an xterra can beat jeep is on road every day comfort.

She specifically said to handle the weather. Not to go off-road anywhere. And I did disclaim that xterra can't do what modded jeeps can. Neither pot nor kettle in any case. Some people have too much fanboi in them to realize the truth. I could care less. Don't have either, won't have either. Simply an outsider reading what she asked without any bias.

Top Bottom