"If you legally own a gun, then carry it!" - Israeli police to citizens

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • JadeRaven

Oh Snap
    Rating - 100%
    60   0   0
    Sep 13, 2006
    Metairie
    When race and socieo-economics come up my ear perk up a little. Could you explain ? Seems you mean to say my skin and bank account effect my rights to bare arms. Maybe I misunderstood? :dunno:

Absolutely.

There are many articles, papers, etc. out there which discuss this in detail.

But briefly, if you don't want blacks or poor people, et al to have guns, you implement registration, licensing, permitting processes, etc., which increases costs and places hurdles in the way (or completely blocks) of the citizen exercising his or her constitutionally protected rights. Among the worst are may-issue licenses and applications that are completely within the discretion of a sheriff or some other authority who can simply say "denied" for no particular reason.

Thankfully our state doesn't have registration anymore, but the permitting process still exists (and exists in most other states), which adds hundreds, thousands of dollars of costs to legally carry a firearm. Many here will argue that a permit is cheap, anyone can save that money, etc., which is true in theory, but in the real world it's a luxury that the poor and lower middle class have a very difficult time affording.

Again there are good, scholarly articles out there which I would encourage you to read. Whether or not you might agree, it's a point of view that many 2nd amendment supporters don't often consider.

Last edited:

Whitebread

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Aug 3, 2015
    near by
    Absolutely.

There are many articles, papers, etc. out there which discuss this in detail.

But briefly, if you don't want blacks or poor people, et al to have guns, you implement registration, licensing, permitting processes, etc., which increases costs and places hurdles in the way (or completely blocks) of the citizen exercising his or her constitutionally protected rights. Among the worst are may-issue licenses and applications that are completely within the discretion of a sheriff or some other authority who can simply say "denied" for no particular reason.

Thankfully our state doesn't have registration anymore, but the permitting process still exists (and exists in most other states), which adds hundreds, thousands of dollars of costs to legally carry a firearm. Many here will argue that a permit is cheap, anyone can save that money, etc., which is true in theory, but in the real world it's a luxury that the poor and lower middle class have a very difficult time affording.

Again there are good, scholarly articles out there which I would encourage you to read. Whether or not you might agree, it's a point of view that many 2nd amendment supporters don't often consider.

Gotcha you are speaking to extra-constitutional laws. I would like to think those laws are written to make it difficult for all who wish to exercise there rights because they don't want anyone to have guns. That sort of discrimination has long been pushed out of "normal society". And I would like to think the law is writen so as not to discriminate as a standard. I'm sure these extra-constitutional laws provide equal oppertunity just not equal results.

Please dont make it my position to defend laws that spit in the face of our second amendment. I just dont believe our country as a whole practices racism or classism when constructing any laws even unconstitutional ones in the year 2015.

JadeRaven

Oh Snap
    Rating - 100%
    60   0   0
    Sep 13, 2006
    Metairie
    Gotcha you are speaking to extra-constitutional laws. I would like to think those laws are written to make it difficult for all who wish to exercise there rights because they don't want anyone to have guns. That sort of discrimination has long been pushed out of "normal society". And I would like to think the law is writen so as not to discriminate as a standard. I'm sure these extra-constitutional laws provide equal oppertunity just not equal results.

Please dont make it my position to defend laws that spit in the face of our second amendment. I just dont believe our country as a whole practices racism or classism when constructing any laws even unconstitutional ones in the year 2015.

I agree, I think most legislators these days don't even consider race or economic status when drafting these current laws. And like you said, the current laws on their face are equal but offer unequal results. Years ago it was much different, where blacks and hispanics were specifically forbidden from firearm possession, or state constitutions allowed only "citizens" the right to carry firearms, when blacks were not considered citizens, etc.

But yeah, not looking to start an argument, just brought it up as an interesting comparison to Israel's gun policy.

Whitebread

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Aug 3, 2015
    near by
    I agree, I think most legislators these days don't even consider race or economic status when drafting these current laws. And like you said, the current laws on their face are equal but offer unequal results. Years ago it was much different, where blacks and hispanics were specifically forbidden from firearm possession, or state constitutions allowed only "citizens" the right to carry firearms, when blacks were not considered citizens, etc.

But yeah, not looking to start an argument, just brought it up as an interesting comparison to Israel's gun policy.

Yeah I forget places like New York have required permits for nearly 100 years.

I would like to note it should still be illegal for forgien nationals to posess weapons in this country. This is a national security issue. Just like I couldn't catch a comercial fight to Volgagrad and either take my weapons or purchase them legally. I would be considered and enemy of Mother Russia. Once they are naturalized they should share the same rights as the rest of us. I know you were more in reference to non-white races in the past being treated as sub-human and not quite citizens and that was wrong, but I just wanted to contrast that a little.

I will say I'm glad to live in America and not in Isreal. I couldnt imagine my homeland being sorrounded by people who wish to kill me and everyone like me.

Last edited:

Saintsfan6

Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Oct 6, 2014
    Texas
    As someone whos spent time out there,Israelis or should i say the jewish settlers are not good people,they are some of the worse people..the jews who live im tel Aviv amd all the israeli big city's are cool people but these settlers,they're something else

Is moe short for Muhammad? :dogkeke:

Helmsman

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 5, 2013
    West Monroe
    Sure could be. I had completely opposite experience while serving my IDF reserve duties. I used to visit one of nearby "settlements" and always felt most welcome. Lots of friendly people, quite a few Americans btw.

Saintsfan6

Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Oct 6, 2014
    Texas
    Sure could be. I had completely opposite experience while serving my IDF reserve duties. I used to visit one of nearby "settlements" and always felt most welcome. Lots of friendly people, quite a few Americans btw.

That's why I ask. I have heard multiple opinions and have yet to get a response from Moe24 as to why he feels this way.

Top Bottom