If you were to buy one rifle caliber to do everything what would it be?

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Sin-ster

GM of 4 Letter Outbursts
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    But, I do have close knowlege that a bear can be dropped in it's tracks with one shot from a 40cal Glock tho.

You could drop a bear in its tracks with a single shot of .22LR as well.

I just wouldn't want to be standing next to you when you tried it...

KJ's answer is easy to simplify-- .308, in his favorite FAL. But he'd cry over having to leave all of the others behind...

SirIsaacNewton

Rating - 100%
    31   0   0
    Jul 22, 2009
    New Orleans, LA
    Why is everyone saying a .308 vs. 30-06 aren't there a ton more options available for the 30-06? Someone fill me in on the .308 vs. 30-06. Personally I say the .223 but I would like to know why the .308 trumps the 30-06 in the OP's debate......

Sin-ster

GM of 4 Letter Outbursts
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Why is everyone saying a .308 vs. 30-06 aren't there a ton more options available for the 30-06? Someone fill me in on the .308 vs. 30-06. Personally I say the .223 but I would like to know why the .308 trumps the 30-06 in the OP's debate......

I've heard and read the debate a number of times, but frankly can't recall all of the details.

The fact that modern combat firearms are chambered in .308 is a huge selling point for me. Despite my love and respect for the Garand, it's design (although genius) has been improved upon-- over and over again.

There's also a size/weight difference, with little performance difference between the two rounds-- again favoring the .308 over its bigger brother.

Perhaps out of context (or totally wrong), but the 30-06 seems like overkill in many different regards. Any performance increases are either unnecessary for practical application, or off set by the fact that 95% of shooters aren't skilled enough to factor in or benefit from the advantages.

On a side note-- I would say for a more realistic application that follows the OP's question, 5.56 is the best choice. However, with the caveat of "heavy game" and the possibility of extended ranges, .308 is really the only answer (in terms of a "modern military chamber", which IMO is absolutely vital for the SHTF considerations). Really, an AR platform in .308 is perfect for this type of scenario, thanks to its insane level of versatility.

Last edited:

firecapt186

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 8, 2011
    Walker, La
    You could drop a bear in its tracks with a single shot of .22LR as well.

I just wouldn't want to be standing next to you when you tried it....

TRIED it???? You don't sound very confident that it can be done. My son was the Walker police officer that killed the bear last year. This is how I know that it can and has been done. His shot was at last than 3 foot. He didn't exactly choose the 40cal as his weapon of choice, it was just the only thing he had on him at the time.

Last edited:

Gus McCrae

No sir, I ain't.
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Feb 25, 2009
    Colorado
    I think we are putting too much emphasis on the SHTF part. I wanted to talk about what rifle caliber could you do the most with.

deafdave3

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Apr 26, 2010
    TRIED it???? You don't sound very confident that it can be done. My son was the Walker police officer that killed the bear last year. This is how I know that it can and has been done. His shot was at last than 3 foot. He didn't exactly choose the 40cal as his weapon of choice, it was just the only thing he had on him at the time.

What???

homeslice

Be honest.
    Rating - 100%
    87   0   0
    Mar 13, 2009
    St. Charles Parish
    If this were a poll:
    223/556: 4
    308: 11
    44: 1
    357: 1
    6.8: 2
    30.06: 2
    22mag: 2
    .50: 1
    22lr: 1
    300 winmag: 1
    7mm: 1
    7.62x39: 1
    Something about pistols in a rifle thread: 3ish

general mills

Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    May 1, 2010
    Denham Springs (BR,Hammond area)
    7.62x39

I can't help but consider the platform as well, and if I could have only one it'd have to be an AK.

I'd have to agree with this. It could take/defend against any animal in Louisiana I can think of, perfectly acceptable for self defence against two legged Louisiana animals, and since you added in SHTF, will probably continue to work longer than most others with long term exposure to the elements and lack of care. I sure do like the idea of the .22 mag though, lots eaiser to carry lots of bullets.

Sin-ster

GM of 4 Letter Outbursts
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0

If you can do it with a stick, I'm 100% sure you can do it with a moderately high velocity projectile. The point I was trying to make-- lost though it may be-- is that shot placement is the key, no matter what caliber you're using or what you're trying to stop.

But looking back, I see...

From a squirrels and rabbit size to lions, elephants and Caped Buffalo....there is no single round for that.

So doesn't a one-shot-stop of a bear with a .40 caliber pistol refute that point, to some degree? And if shot placement is king, and penetration is queen-- wouldn't a middle of the road caliber be the best choice?

Like... the .308? :D

Personally, I feel like you can take SHTF completely out of the equation (as per the OP's request) and STILL arrive in the same ballpark-- if not the exact same choice. It is my humble opinion that especially in this state, a lot of deer are harvested with way, way, way too much rifle. But to each their (over compensating) own, I suppose. :p

firecapt186

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 8, 2011
    Walker, La
    If you can do it with a stick, I'm 100% sure you can do it with a moderately high velocity projectile. The point I was trying to make-- lost though it may be-- is that shot placement is the key, no matter what caliber you're using or what you're trying to stop.

But looking back, I see...

So doesn't a one-shot-stop of a bear with a .40 caliber pistol refute that point, to some degree? And if shot placement is king, and penetration is queen-- wouldn't a middle of the road caliber be the best choice?

Like... the .308? :D

Personally, I feel like you can take SHTF completely out of the equation (as per the OP's request) and STILL arrive in the same ballpark-- if not the exact same choice. It is my humble opinion that especially in this state, a lot of deer are harvested with way, way, way too much rifle. But to each their (over compensating) own, I suppose. :p

I have nothing against the 308. I have several of them. I'd take the 308 over the 06 any day. Just like you stated in a previous post, there's not that much difference ballisticly between the two. Why shoot a LA, when you can achieve the same results in a SA rifle. The bullets that I load for my 308's accually leaves a larger wound channel that the ones that I load in my 300win mag. Only difference I can say between the two, I've never had to track a deer thats been shot with my 300win mag

Gus McCrae

No sir, I ain't.
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Feb 25, 2009
    Colorado
    I'd think that the .30-06 would be the better choice just because of the variety of bullets you can throw. Similar ballistics with 150 grain ammo. Slightly (very slightly) more accurate in .308 when talking long range. It's pretty a common round like the .308 (.308 might have the slight edge in availability).

I could be wrong, but .30-06 seems to offer more.

Gus McCrae

No sir, I ain't.
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Feb 25, 2009
    Colorado
    I have nothing against the 308. I have several of them. I'd take the 308 over the 06 any day. Just like you stated in a previous post, there's not that much difference ballisticly between the two. Why shoot a LA, when you can achieve the same results in a SA rifle. The bullets that I load for my 308's accually leaves a larger wound channel that the ones that I load in my 300win mag. Only difference I can say between the two, I've never had to track a deer thats been shot with my 300win mag

On a deer, there should be very little if any difference between .30-06, .308, or .300 Win Mag... all will go through a deer and/or break bones. It is all about shot placement IMO.

Tim67

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 20, 2010
    EBR
    .30/06

.308 and .30/06 in their military guises perform practically identically. In commercial and handloads, the '06 has the edge, especially with heavier bullets.

Last edited:
    Top Bottom