IFAKs & Medical Kits

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • bigtattoo79

Rating - 100%
    94   0   0
    Sep 12, 2009
    LA
    My IFAK so far.

9C0D28A4-391F-4513-81F5-F0237633A29E-9136-00000CC433D180ED_zps1163a6b0.jpg

FD793B4A-E2CC-4B6C-8A75-BFFD4FB61D27-9136-00000CC43D979885_zps28b1e7ff.jpg

blackwater26504

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 17, 2012
    does anyone else have tampons in there kit? i find quikclot expensive and would use that for a gsw plug? is it safe does it work?

blackwater26504

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 17, 2012
    well i got sandy vag so the sand helps the stop that flow :dogkeke: keep word heard it was good. dude it was a man moment in line with box of tampons.

blackwater26504

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 17, 2012
    I was gonna tell him to take the Mar 9th med class lol.
    ca

i hit me up some links ill have to go to the next class. honestly thinking of going to ems school just cause. no reason just want to the knowledge. it would be nice to be able to do more than the stuff the army taught me and what i have learned by "reading" would like to do something. would honestly like to know how to use that damn middle thing in your kit i got the same kit off ebay.

Vanilla Gorilla

The Gringo Pistolero
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Feb 22, 2008
    ca

i hit me up some links ill have to go to the next class. honestly thinking of going to ems school just cause. no reason just want to the knowledge. it would be nice to be able to do more than the stuff the army taught me and what i have learned by "reading" would like to do something. would honestly like to know how to use that damn middle thing in your kit i got the same kit off ebay.

We have a Med class March 9. There is still space.

Hattrick 22

Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 13, 2011
    Kenner, Louisiana
    Never heard of the tampon thing...I'm not sure if its been mentioned but pads work well from what I've been told by one of my buddies the guys in his unit tend to avoid injury in order to not get the pad o shame put on them not to mention the hello kitty band-aids he has. I've thought of getting some hello kitty band-aids myself since my one of my friends always seems to use my boo boo kit every time we go out for a range trip..

All of that aside they are made for the purpose to absorb a fair amount of blood but if they are bleeding that much you better get them some real help FAST.

Vanilla Gorilla

The Gringo Pistolero
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Feb 22, 2008
    Never heard of the tampon thing...I'm not sure if its been mentioned but pads work well from what I've been told by one of my buddies the guys in his unit tend to avoid injury in order to not get the pad o shame put on them not to mention the hello kitty band-aids he has. I've thought of getting some hello kitty band-aids myself since my one of my friends always seems to use my boo boo kit every time we go out for a range trip..

All of that aside they are made for the purpose to absorb a fair amount of blood but if they are bleeding that much you better get them some real help FAST.

Pads are useless for treating GSW. Asorbing the blood is not the point. Asorbing Blood doesn't stop the hemorrhage. Using Tampons and Pads in lieu of better interventions is a really bad idea. I think the guys in your friends unit avoided getting wounded because being hurt sucks, the may have also realized what a nitwit their Doc was if he was using Kotex to stop bleeding.

Hattrick 22

Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 13, 2011
    Kenner, Louisiana
    Pads are useless for treating GSW. Asorbing the blood is not the point. Asorbing Blood doesn't stop the hemorrhage. Using Tampons and Pads in lieu of better interventions is a really bad idea. I think the guys in your friends unit avoided getting wounded because being hurt sucks, the may have also realized what a nitwit their Doc was if he was using Kotex to stop bleeding.

I doubt that he would ever use it to treat a gunshot wound I think his use of it was that comparable to gauze he has access to quick clot cloth and other medical supplies although i can't say i fully understand his "kit" he doesn't strike me as the type to do something like duct tape a GSW with a pad I thought it was interesting and rather amusing. I think that he may be or might use it in a circumstance of a deep gash or something of that sort in which case i could see him making a big pressure bandage out of it but, that's just my thought can't even say it would be great for that myself to be honest i was too busy getting my chuckle on to be bothered with asking much more.

What would be some rather worldly items you might use that doesn't come in a kit or is bought threw a manufacture? I know there has to be one or two things at least that might be as good as something bought to be had cheaper from a general store that can be used for the same purpose. Like a large rubber band, belt, or ratchet strap being used as a tourniquet supplement. Not that this is far from off topic but some of this information might be worth it in a pinch given that we all might not have immediate access to our trauma kits.

Vanilla Gorilla

The Gringo Pistolero
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Feb 22, 2008
    Most expident interventions have the potential to cause more harm than good. For instance ratchet straps
    Have a penchant to cause crusty type injuries and can lead to compartment syndrome. Your better off buying a kit. The goal for any bleeding is to stop the bleeding not absorb it.

JBE

Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 1, 2010
    Welsh, LA
    does anyone else have tampons in there kit? i find quikclot expensive and would use that for a gsw plug? is it safe does it work?

It's a poor improv at best if it's the only thing you have available on hand at the time...buy the good stuff, it matters...

JBE

Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 1, 2010
    Welsh, LA
    What would be some rather worldly items you might use that doesn't come in a kit or is bought threw a manufacture? I know there has to be one or two things at least that might be as good as something bought to be had cheaper from a general store that can be used for the same purpose. Like a large rubber band, belt, or ratchet strap being used as a tourniquet supplement. Not that this is far from off topic but some of this information might be worth it in a pinch given that we all might not have immediate access to our trauma kits.

Would you skimp on your firearm or the ammo you put in it? If you're going to pay good money for stuff to defend you and your family with, don't skimp on the stuff that can save your or a family member's life. It's that important.

blackwater26504

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 17, 2012

so what i understand gorilla is that when i die i don't get a respawn?

blackwater26504

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 17, 2012
    do you guy do a improv type of class... shtf type of situation where none of this type of gear is available?

Last edited:

Hattrick 22

Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 13, 2011
    Kenner, Louisiana
    Would you skimp on your firearm or the ammo you put in it? If you're going to pay good money for stuff to defend you and your family with, don't skimp on the stuff that can save your or a family member's life. It's that important.

No I wouldn't skimp by any means and haven't. I took Nate's class back when it was at the intro pricing and it was a great class it covered things that I have never thought of from a medical stand point some of the same gear I ordered that night and have had it in my bag ever since its what i practiced with and know how to use.

I was asking for improv ideas not for the means of putting it in a kit. Where I am coming from is (hypothetical if you parked more than 3-5 min. away what can you use that you have on your person to keep someone from bleeding out I personally don't have my med kit on my hip all the time and just wanted input on what some stuff has been used or could be used in a pinch if need be. I understand if you wouldn't want to post this information so that a member wouldn't get the wrong idea and think an improv is just as good as the real thing.

Just like in class though I asked Nate if he ever used a tegaderm to burb a chest wound (its not the best thing for the job like it was explained to me but it could work in a pinch) I don't want to make it seem like I'm Dr. Macgyver or anything but thinking on your feet is something that comes in handy even if its something simple I just wanted to pick someones brain that may have been in a situation where you had to make do with what you have.

Top Bottom