illegally carrying concealed.. question

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Saintsfan6

Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Oct 6, 2014
    Texas
    A bit OT, but I find this interesting as many say requiring a state ID to vote restricts minority voting. Would this not do such exponentially as far as the 2A?

Good point, why don't we hear the liberals ranting about this?! I need to send a letter to democratic senator Mary Landr………. Nevermind. :D

dsonyay

Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Dec 15, 2007
    Broussard, LA
    If you're meaning the OP, I wasn't asking the " legality to break the law. " I was asking if it was a felony or misdemeanor. I know it's a crime of some sort, just not sure how serious.

Fred_G

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 5, 2013
    West Monroe
    Good point, why don't we hear the liberals ranting about this?! I need to send a letter to democratic senator Mary Landr………. Nevermind. :D

Heck yeah, maybe the NAACP! Oh, wait. It won't happen.

But think of what you have to do to get a CCL in LA, and then wonder why that is not like a 'pole tax' for a person to vote?!

Show an ID, get stuff notarized, take a class, get photo ID, fingerprints, pay some cash... How the F is this not disenfranchising black gun owners, and why is there no outcry? I have my own theory, but will keep it to myself.

dsonyay

Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Dec 15, 2007
    Broussard, LA
    I found a couple sites with the following regarding illegal concealment of a firearm in Louisiana:

"The penalty for illegal carrying of weapons is a fine of not more than $500, or imprisoned for not more than 6 months, or both."

First offense is a misdemeanor.

Since multiple sites have the same info I assume it came from somewhere, but it is the interweb so take it for what it's worth. Second offense is much more serious, and obviously other factors such as school zones could come into play.

That's an answer I was looking for. Thanks. Found similar info on other forums, but my frien (an ex PO) thinks it is a felony for first offense from what he remembers. So I'm hoping someone with solid knowledge can address it.

dsonyay

Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Dec 15, 2007
    Broussard, LA
    Oh and also.. People go to jail for up to 6 months for misdemeanors? Dang. I'm very ignorant about crime and punishment issues. Glad I don't have firsthand knowledge either

madwabbit

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 2, 2013
    Lafayette, LA
    I’m not surprised; no one has not mentioned open carry the other alternative to concealed carry. No permit needed to Open Carry, It is perfectly legal to OC in La.
    For one thing I am not going to ask the government for a permission slip anyway

Wolf

but I did, about ten posts earlier than yours. It was even stated twice because I was quoted.

madwabbit

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 2, 2013
    Lafayette, LA
    1) If someone was "savvy and creative" he would have the money.
    2) Simply not true. Not everyone is able-bodied. Some people are just terrible with money.
    3) Sure we have it easy, but it's still burdensome.
    4) Good point.
    5) Not every person buys an expensive brand new gun and hits the range every weekend. See #1.
    *) Not every person buys real estate, considers adoption, or even has a will.
    **) Not every person is in a better place after their divorce. About half of the people who got divorced didn't pay to get divorced. Some people just show up and sign the paperwork.

Additional points: Not everyone is like you or me (e.g. sliguns' grandparents above). Life isn't as perfect for everyone as it is for you and me. You seem to lack any empathy.

I don't like to use all inclusive terms like "anyone", but 99.99% of income earning individuals can afford 1-200.00 over some length of time, and are likely spending far more on unnecessary commodities. It's a prioritization issue, not an economics issue. Its also a personal issue, and not a state issue.

People don't buy what they need, they buy what they want. I lack empathy, 100%. It comes from being raised by a poor man and a single father that has since developed his net worth to 8 figures. I dont borrow money, I dont buy what I cant afford, I live below my means, and I understand priorities. The people I have empathy for (and like to help) are single mothers working 3 jobs while attending school part time, or teenagers looking for cash money jobs to help their parents pay bills. Don't make me out to be the bad guy just because I've endured sacrifice and choose not to live the way that some people live.

If 100.00 is so critical to the financial picture, just OC and be glad you live in a state that permits it. (not you obviously, just ...whoever) In some peoples' financial pictures, this is probably the most logical way to go.

Last edited:

mgrgmr

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 4, 2012
    New Orleans, LA
    If this person can legally own a handgun, then they can have it anywhere in their vehicle without a permit. It can be concealed on them or not, hidden in the vehicle or not. This is for Louisiana. Now, if they have it concealed on them without a permit and then step out their vehicle, it can be deemed as illegally concealed. Just tell the LEO you have a handgun on your person before hand.

charlie12

Not a Fed.
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 21, 2008
    Pride
    If this person can legally own a handgun, then they can have it anywhere in their vehicle without a permit. It can be concealed on them or not, hidden in the vehicle or not. This is for Louisiana. Now, if they have it concealed on them without a permit and then step out their vehicle, it can be deemed as illegally concealed. Just tell the LEO you have a handgun on your person before hand.

ON your person without a CHP?

mgrgmr

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 4, 2012
    New Orleans, LA
    The reason we can legally carry a firearm in a vehicle in Louisiana is because our state laws consider it a constitutionally protected activity which can't be regulated by the state. There is now law on the books that says you can't conceal it on your person while in a vehicle without a permit in Louisiana. Here is a real world example.
    A person needs a permit to conceal a firearm in a purse, backpack, fanny pack, etc while walking around. They do not need a permit if it is in one of those while in their vehicle.

Vermiform

Free Candy!
    Gold Member
    Marketplace Mod
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Sep 18, 2006
    Shreveport - or therebouts
    The reason we can legally carry a firearm in a vehicle in Louisiana is because our state laws consider it a constitutionally protected activity which can't be regulated by the state. There is now law on the books that says you can't conceal it on your person while in a vehicle without a permit in Louisiana. Here is a real world example.
    A person needs a permit to conceal a firearm in a purse, backpack, fanny pack, etc while walking around. They do not need a permit if it is in one of those while in their vehicle.

This is a myth and many of us here used to believe it. It has been proven wrong multiple times and I wish I could link you to one of the threads, but I don't feel like looking for it right now. I'm sure someone will come along soon and show you where.

Why doesn't someone illustrate the busting of this myth in its own thread and then we can have a mod lock and sticky it. It would save us a lot of time.

Vermiform

Free Candy!
    Gold Member
    Marketplace Mod
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Sep 18, 2006
    Shreveport - or therebouts
    What part is a myth? Can a person have a firearm in their purse while in their vehicle without a permit?

A person cannot conceal a firearm on their person without a CCW, whether in their car, or in their home, or on their own private property. There is no provision in the law for concealed weapons as pertains to private property. There IS a provision in the law about it being legal to have a firearm in your car, like say in a school zone because the vehicle is an extension of your home. This is where the confusion comes from.

Not sure about the purse. I would guess as long as the purse was not on your person, you could have a pistol in it in a vehicle without a CCW. That's me guessing though.....

Last edited:

mgrgmr

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 4, 2012
    New Orleans, LA
    So when I by a new firearm, and it is in is box that it came in, do I need a permit to carry it to my vehicle from the store? According to you, I do need it. The law doesn't describe what is meant by on your person. The items I listed are considered on your person and having a firearm in them without a permit while walking around is illegal. Once they get in their vehicle, it can remain in that item and be on their shoulder, back tummy, or whatever and be legal without a permit. Here is another scenario.. can I have it under my upper leg while driving? Would this be considered on my person?

charlie12

Not a Fed.
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 21, 2008
    Pride
    So when I by a new firearm, and it is in is box that it came in, do I need a permit to carry it to my vehicle from the store? According to you, I do need it. The law doesn't describe what is meant by on your person. The items I listed are considered on your person and having a firearm in them without a permit while walking around is illegal. Once they get in their vehicle, it can remain in that item and be on their shoulder, back tummy, or whatever and be legal without a permit. Here is another scenario.. can I have it under my upper leg while driving? Would this be considered on my person?

Do you have a CHP? If you don't take a class from a instructor that knows our laws.

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    alwill112
    Top Bottom