I'm a 19y/o carrying an H&K P30 in my truck on a college campus

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • carson123987

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jul 13, 2011
    Lafayette/Baton Rouge
    I'm making a sheet to give to LEOs if I am ever pulled over for something and they find the gun. I know my rights, but everyone knows that there are good cops and there are bad cops, so I'm making this for any cops that may ignore what I'm saying and make things get out of hand. I've spoken with LSUPD officer Latour (great guy, he made me much more comfortable. He said it was ok as long as my handgun STAYS in my truck.) Here's what I have so far:

Carrying Handgun in Truck

LRS 14:95.8
    §95.8. Illegal possession of a handgun by a juvenile

A. It is unlawful for any person who has not attained the age of seventeen years
    knowingly to possess any handgun on his person. Any person possessing any handgun in
    violation of this Section commits the offense of illegal possession of a handgun by a juvenile.

§95.6. *Firearm-free zone; notice; signs; crime; penalties
    A. *A "firearm-free zone" is an area inclusive of any school campus and within one thousand feet of any such school campus, and within a school bus. *
    B. *The provisions of this Section shall not apply to:
    (1) *A federal, state, or local law enforcement building. *
    (2) *A military base. *
    (3) *A commercial establishment which is permitted by law to have firearms or armed security. *
    (4) *Private premises where a firearm is kept pursuant to law. *
    (5) *Any constitutionally protected activity within the firearm-free zone, such as a firearm contained entirely within a motor vehicle. *
    Acts 1992, No. 197, §1; Acts 1993, No. 844, §1; Acts 1993, No. 1031, §1. *

I think these will help me in showing that I can have a handgun since I'm over 18, and it's also legal for me to have a gun on a campus as long as it's in my truck.

Can any of you guys help me find other laws that would aid in my defense just in case I get "that cop" during a traffic stop? I feel like if I show them a sheet with all of the laws, then there's nothing they can do that will be overturnable in court. Thanks!

Last edited:

carson123987

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jul 13, 2011
    Lafayette/Baton Rouge
    I called LSP. They said that is legal.

Awesome man, thanks a lot.

I'd have it locked up good in the truck and never tell anyone that it's there. Good Luck.

It's in a case locked up under my back seat. It's within quick reach should I ever need to use it. Hopefully I never have to use (except for range shooting of course), but you know Baton Rouge. It doens't help that I live in a rough area.

Vanilla Gorilla

The Gringo Pistolero
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Feb 22, 2008
    IF you had to use deadly force to defend yourself do you expect to be able to obtain and deploy said weapon in time? Locked in a box under your back seat?

Gus McCrae

No sir, I ain't.
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Feb 25, 2009
    Colorado
    IF you had to use deadly force to defend yourself do you expect to be able to obtain and deploy said weapon in time? Locked in a box under your back seat?

Too young to CC, but he can move the gun to a more convenient location when he is using the truck. :dunno:

What suggestions do you have?

Vanilla Gorilla

The Gringo Pistolero
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Feb 22, 2008
    I have no suggestions. I don't know him or have any idea of his maturity level or ability to make good decisions. In light of that no suggestions.

BenCarp27

I feel like an old man...
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 3, 2010
    New Orleans Area, Southshore
    Would you be interested in a discounted certification for
    'theft secured combat handgun deployment from a vehicle'?
    I'll take one, but no more than $5. Can he mail it to me, or do I have to meet him in person?

ETA:

Come to think of it, everyone here seems to be questioning the legitimacy of your friend's business concept. Maybe he can work a deal, and email me a copy at no cost.
    Once I receive it, I can post the images on the site, and he can legitimize the concept to all of the "nay-sayers".
    Just an idea. It might help get the proverbial ball rolling for him.

Last edited:

returningliberty

Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Nov 8, 2009
    Hammond, LA
    Hey man, as a 19 y/o, having the law handy will help you to not have your nice pistol taken away. Having it locked up to where you can't get it into play within just a few seconds means you're unarmed anyway. At that point what's the purpose of having one? While we Are a "no retreat" state, if you have the time to get it out of the back and Then fight, you're probably breaking the law.
    I fully support your right to keep and bear arms, but if you feel you need to keep it locked up in your car, you're just giving yourself the worst of both worlds. Better to just leave it at home.

carson123987

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jul 13, 2011
    Lafayette/Baton Rouge

It's only locked when I won't be in my vehicle for more than 2 days. I've practiced sliding the case out, popping it open, taking off safety, and aiming out of different windows way more times than I can count. I can have it out and ready in a matter of seconds. I have window tint so any possible perps won't be able to see what I'm doing. When I ride through particularly bad areas, I take it out of the case and stick it in between my console/seat.

I asked for help with laws, not gratuitous interrogation calling my maturity or combat readiness into question. I was naive in thinking I wouldn't get any of this. Oh well. Thanks to everyone giving actual responses.

Last edited:

Knave

Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jan 27, 2010
    Baton Rouge
    Leaving a gun in the car on a consistent basis is the surest way to get it stolen.

Well, other than driving a long-lost crackhead friend around north of campus that is.

I'd still rather have a gun than not, but just mentioning it so you can prepare accordingly.

Vanilla Gorilla

The Gringo Pistolero
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Feb 22, 2008
    Woof...I didnt see anyone call your maturity into question. What I said in refrence to your maturity was that since I had no idea how mature or immature you were I couldn't offer advice. The questions raised about the weapon and it's deployablity are valid. You will figure that out if you keep an open mind.

Top Bottom