Input on Scales

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • BUSTER48

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2009
    Laplace, Louisiana
    I need some input from you guys regarding powder scales, digital vs. beam. Also, your recommendations on which are the best of each. All insight is greatly appreciated.

Request Dust Off

Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Feb 11, 2007
    Westbank N.O.
    Buster48,
    Either beam or digital it still comes down to trusting it. I had to learn to trust mine. (RCBS beam) It is easier to trust if you have check weights. In other words don't trust check.
    The digital is good for certain operations. If you want to weigh bullets or 5 drops of a charge it will give the weight. If you are load testing you can throw 42.0, then trickle up to 42.3, 42.6, 42.9, 43.2 and so on with just the digital readout. On a balance you would have to reset the weight.
    Balance is fairly reliable. No batteries. Some take a long time to settle. Vents blowing on them is not good. Being read by eye can lead to misreads. Digital will sometimes go back & forth between 2 digits. Digital is more portable.

SKYWLKR

bread and circuses
    Rating - 100%
    32   0   0
    Feb 26, 2007
    I prefer beam balance because they will still work when the planets core cools or if I ever have to load on the Himalayas...

scooterj

Stupid is 'posed to hurt
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 14, 2008
    LaPlace
    I have 1 beam and 2 digitals. All 3 work as intended. Know that you get what you pay for. Avoid the Lee Safety Scale at all costs. The little Frankford Arsenal digital is very inexpensive which led me to check it with my old beam before each use. It would drift off "0" within a few seconds, needing to be re-zeroed before weighing the next charge. My CED Pocket Scale is dead-nuts on every time.

herohog

Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 28, 2009
    Shreveport, LA
    Avoid the Lee Safety Scale at all costs.
    What do you not like about the Lee scale? My Lee beam scale has been great for me for YEARS now. It is no worse than most other beam scales I have tried. Set it for the charge you want and when it balances out, you are good!

scooterj

Stupid is 'posed to hurt
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 14, 2008
    LaPlace
    The weight scale doesn't go high enough to weigh projectiles and the "tenths" markings get me dizzy trying to read them. Also too much plastic for my tastes. Hornady, Dillon, RCBS, and Lyman scales are all much better than the Lee.
    Buster asked for recommendations. And this is my opinion.

dirty_sanchez

Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Apr 15, 2009
    Ebay is my friend.

Santa just gave me an old RCBS 505 beam scale for $30 Shipped(normally $50 to $70ish).

I don't know if they've changed to have plastic components through the years, but the only thing plastic on this scale is the foot of the adjusting leveler.

St. Nick also gifted me a set of check weights.

This scale was dead nuts on according to the check weights.

Dirty

FTRrookie

Freedom Not Free Stuff
    Rating - 98.6%
    68   1   0
    Apr 25, 2009
    Houma, la
    I use both. I have a RCBS 5-0-5 beam and a jscale Mack 20 digital. The mack 20 is not designed as a reloading scale. It's a jewelry scale that measures oz, gr, gm, ct, and something else I can't remember. In grains it will only measure up to 309 but it measures in 1/100ths of a grain. It's more reliable and more accurate than any digital "reloading scale" I've found. It also handles trickling really well.

One note on e-scales. They are very temperature sensitive. They work best between 65-85 degrees F. Any where out of this range and they can get quirky and drift in and out of zero.

nickatnite

Crybaby Hater...
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Jun 27, 2007
    Prairieville, La
    Bottom line... I need to get a "mechanical" (beam balance) scale. I just do not trust all these cheap zipperhead electronics anymore; they are made to a price point, as opposed to a level of quality.

Now that is my kind of quote. Spoken in the true words of THE MAN:
    gran-torino-clint-eastwood.jpg

Your welcome at my house any time and your also welcome to my stash of PBR!!!

Top Bottom