Instant background check delayed

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • jr70895

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 5, 2011
    Went to buy Cabelas to buy a Ruger LC9 and completed the paperwork. The salesman told me approval was delayed. No criminal record but was told a TWIC card and a Security Background check that I have could raise a red flag, not sure why. Also, he told me I could pick it up no matter what in 7 days.
    Delayed, obviously means something is showing up that they want to look at but when the salesman said I could pick it up no matter what in 7 days confused me.
    Also, is there any wait time between the first handgun purchase and the 2nd one. Would also like to buy a Glock 27 soon.

Thanks

Last edited:

sraiford

Pro Castle Law
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 1, 2009
    Baton Rouge and Mobile
    You can purchase two handguns if you want, its just another form for multiple purchases. The delay is not an issue. I have been delayed for many, many years, then one day all clear, every purchase went through right then and there.

Tulse Luper

Besmirched!
    Rating - 100%
    64   0   0
    Oct 29, 2008
    Metairie
    Happens all the time to anyone and everyone. I'm starting to think it's simply b/c the system is busy - Weekend and Holidays.

I've been delayed twice. Both times were holiday weekends in big box stores. Eight or so times before that, at a private FFL, on weekday evenings --- no problem.

It really fries my foreskin when you drive to a place like Hattiesburg, MS from Metairie to pick up a gun just to get delayed.

gmshooter

Gold Member
    Rating - 100%
    328   0   0
    Jan 21, 2009
    Gramercy La.
    If you went and tried to purchase it today and got delayed you have to wait 3 business which will be mon, tues, and wed. You should be able to pick it up Thursday. ( unless the store had a policy like academy) . You can put multiple firearms on one sheet.

JBE

Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 1, 2010
    Welsh, LA
    I've been delayed once...during the holidays...I was told it was not uncommon during that time of year due to higher than normal requests for the checks...Went back a few days later and picked up the gun without a problem...

JustN

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Sep 18, 2010
    Same here... TWIC card and have never had a problem. In fact, bought a new pistol last night -- no delay.

deadidunn

Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Mar 3, 2010
    Hineston, LA
    About the same here. Been Delayed a couple times, most times was no problem! Doesn't make it any less a pain in the butt when it happens though!!

whbonney26

Rating - 100%
    37   0   0
    Nov 2, 2008
    Pearl River, LA
    They dont tell the dumb ass Cabelas worker why you are delayed. They just say delayed.

I get delayed now and then. Its always a pain in the butt but it does happen. I can buy a gun one day and everything go through then turn around the next day or two later and get delayed. Dont really know why but it does happen.

I was given a VAF form to fill out and send in by a local gun shop the other day. He said that if I fill that out and send in my info with my fingerprints that I will never get delayed again. I plan to try it out at least.

SeventhSon

Evil Conservative
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Oct 30, 2008
    Slidell
    I've never been delayed but it does happen. The salesman is not told why. usually it's because the system is busy or down and GMshooter is right, three business days unless the store has a policy.

Dustin-R

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 27, 2010
    Abbeville, Louisiana
    They dont tell the dumb ass Cabelas worker why you are delayed. They just say delayed.

I get delayed now and then. Its always a pain in the butt but it does happen. I can buy a gun one day and everything go through then turn around the next day or two later and get delayed. Dont really know why but it does happen.

I was given a VAF form to fill out and send in by a local gun shop the other day. He said that if I fill that out and send in my info with my fingerprints that I will never get delayed again. I plan to try it out at least.

I have a UPIN from filing out the VAF form and have not been delayed since:). It does take 4-6 months to get it though.

CEHollier

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Dec 29, 2007
    Prairieville
    I have a UPIN from filing out the VAF form and have not been delayed since:). It does take 4-6 months to get it though.

I have a UPIN as a health care provider for filing Medicare, VA, Insurance claims. I don't use it for purchasing firearms though. Does it apply to firearm purchaces too?

aroundlsu

Bayou Photo Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Dec 21, 2007
    Baton Rouge
    I was delayed my first time then instantly approved every time after that though the call is always transferred to a second agent that approves it. I have often listened to the conversations.

honestlou

Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 17, 2009
    Baton Rouge
    I went years with no delay, then a few years being delayed every time. Now it seems I'm back to no delays.

If you are delayed, the FFL holder can call back and get an update, and you may get approved then. The delay is just because there's something else they have to look at, and if your dealer calls back, they may just do it then.

I bought something at a gun show once and was delayed-- about an hour later I got the dealer to call again, and they approved it.

kpm1234

Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 5, 2010
    Lafayette
    I was delayed my first time then instantly approved every time after that though the call is always transferred to a second agent that approves it. I have often listened to the conversations.

We have a partial winner.
    The initial call and "proceed" comes from a contractor checking a database. All kinds of minor or major things can flag an applicant and require an actual government agent to issue the proceed. The catch is, if an agent is not available within a specified time, in the interest of "customer service" the contractor has to issue a delay.

Top Bottom