Interest in a custom Katrina lower?

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • chibajoe

Pratertium terminus est
    Rating - 100%
    34   0   0
    Jan 29, 2007
    New Orleans
    If I could get these made for $250, would anybody be interested in getting one? They would be similar to the one I had Tom Sawyer Mfg. make a couple of years ago:

PICT0034.jpg

chibajoe

Pratertium terminus est
    Rating - 100%
    34   0   0
    Jan 29, 2007
    New Orleans
    These will be billet lowers with custom serial and model #s, with the engraving on both sides of the magwell. Anvil arms will do the engraving, but they're still anvil arms lowers with anvil arms serial numbers. Plus, (if I remember correctly from the Gulf States lowers that were run for the AR15 crowd) they will only put the engraving on one side. I'm having two done for myself, but if anybody else wants one, it will be a lot cheaper to do them in a batch then to do them individually later (although most of the cost is in doing the artwork and setup for the first lower, so even if you don't buy them with me, you still won't have to pay for the artwork and layout).

Psychic Bacon

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 17, 2007
    Ponchatoula, LA
    I'd be all about it. That would make an awesome first AR for me. That said, I don't know much about ARs. Would I be correct in assuming SHTF is auto? What would I have to do to get one? COULD I get one?

CavalryJim

Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    I'd be all about it. That would make an awesome first AR for me. That said, I don't know much about ARs. Would I be correct in assuming SHTF is auto? What would I have to do to get one? COULD I get one?

Sure. You can get an AR with almost anything printed on it....but just because it says "Safe", "Semi", and "Auto"("SHTF", "Zombie", etc.) doesn't mean it really has full auto capabilities. It would be a regular AR that appears to be full auto. FYI, while it may not be against the law to print "Full Auto" or "Burst" on your rifle, it could cause you some headaches dealing with the random Barney Fife with a hardon for gun owners.

Nomad.2nd

Rating - 100%
    66   0   1
    Dec 9, 2007
    Baton Rouge... Mostly

~$5,000 per year and some paperwork and you can have just about anything you want.

Otherwise, ~ $15,000 for a M16.

Edited to add:
    http://www.subguns.com/classifieds/index.cgi

rockmup

Please be my friend
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   0
    Apr 21, 2007
    City of Central
    Eh?

Also as far as the Katrina lower, could more custom work be done? Does it have to say SHTF? I like the idea of it saying Zombies.

Does it shoot on the SHTF setting?

I'm going to say No it will not shoot in that position. Otherwise it would be a whole different gun.

And you can get anything you want engraved on a weapon

chibajoe

Pratertium terminus est
    Rating - 100%
    34   0   0
    Jan 29, 2007
    New Orleans
    Eh?

Also as far as the Katrina lower, could more custom work be done? Does it have to say SHTF? I like the idea of it saying Zombies.

Does it shoot on the SHTF setting?

A Drop In Auto Sear or Lightning Link is a device to convert a semi-auto AR into a machine gun. They're going for around 12-15 grand. If you're asking wether or not the rifle pictured has one installed, the answer is no, but the lower is designed to accept them; not all lowers are designed that way. With a DIAS or LL installed (and the appropriate FCG), then the final position of the selector switch would, indeed, work. :rockon:

The design I submitted is the same as the lower pictured, but I'm not sure how much customization is possible. I suspect if all you wanted was to change the markings on the selector switch, that might not cost anything more. I did ask how much more the lowers would cost if they wern't run in a batch, and they said about $30-$40.

I want to clarify that the lower in the picture is a lower I had built by Tom Sawyer Mfg., who went belly up. It is forged and not billet; the new lowers will be billet, which is why they're so expensive. While I have no opinion on the whole billet vs forged debate (other than that I think the billet lowers look cool), there was no one else out there willing to make a complete custom lower. If all you want is engraving, contact Orion Arms; they're reasonably priced and, because he bought out all the machining from Tom Sawyer, should still have the CAD files to do the Katrina logo.

Finally, if you just want to get a regular lower engraved, I would suggest using a Les Baer lower, because they are one of the few that have no markings on either side of the mag well.

Last edited:

rockmup

Please be my friend
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   0
    Apr 21, 2007
    City of Central
    Is the Katrina logo yours ? Did you draw it ?

my wife and I came here because of Katrina and we've been wanting a tattoo to represent it. That would (with some minor additions) make a smokin tattoo

Sorry for the hi-jack

EDIT; Billet explains a lot of the price

EDIT; Orion Arms has that right on their web page. Very cool

Last edited:

chibajoe

Pratertium terminus est
    Rating - 100%
    34   0   0
    Jan 29, 2007
    New Orleans
    Is the Katrina logo yours ? Did you draw it ?

my wife and I came here because of Katrina and we've been wanting a tattoo to represent it. That would (with some minor additions) make a smokin tattoo

Sorry for the hi-jack

EDIT; Billet explains a lot of the price

EDIT; Orion Arms has that right on their web page. Very cool

Yes, it's mine, but you're free to use it if you want to. I'll try to dig up the jpeg that we used to create the cad files from if you'd like.

What about Gripplates.com?

That is certainly an option, and both cheaper and a lot less permanent than carving the Katrina logo into your lower.

chibajoe

Pratertium terminus est
    Rating - 100%
    34   0   0
    Jan 29, 2007
    New Orleans
    If anybody is interested in these lowers, they are being made by Stubborn Mule Outdoor Supply. I'm going to have them run the first two, and if you want to get in on the production run, you need to contact them by the end of the month, otherwise, it will cost you more to get the lower done. For those of you who asked, here is the artwork that was used to make the Katrina logo.

http://upload.bayoushooter.com/files/katrina2.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Fanblade1
    Top Bottom