Introduction to 600 Yard Shooting- Saturday July 30th at 9:00 AM

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • jcvititow

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 30, 2011
    gonzales
    Had a good time this morning at the shoot. Thanks for y'all putting it on to let us get a chance at the 600 yard range. Looking forward to trying to make it to the windage class.

coolbreeze

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 30, 2011
    Louisiana
    Today's 600 yd class was great! Lanny, Joey, Ted, and Rick did a great job with the entire class! I'm new on here and will be looking forward to reading all the good info on this site. Happy shooting!

RyanW

Koch-head
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Nov 5, 2010
    Baton Rouge
    I really enjoyed it, and the bruises are already showing. Thanks Ted for letting me borrow the 300wm, I hate you lol.

I definately learned some new stuff. I was very happy with my performance, even though my shoulder hasn't stopped clicking in a funny spot, but at least the pain is gone lol. I've just recently started shooting with a scope, so I'm still trying to get comfortable with using the reticles and adjustments, etc. I've read as many articles as I could find on MOA, and now that I was able to put it use at a long distance, I feel much more comfortable with my ability to utilize the tools I have.

Ritten

SSST Mad Scientist
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Dec 8, 2007
    Thibodaux, Louisiana
    I've just recently started shooting with a scope.....

If I'd have known that I'd have suggested trying to find something with a little less thump!!! There is a method to shooting the big magnums prone without beating up your shoulder, but learning to use a scope at the same time isn't quite the time. Glad you won't have any black eyes to go with that blue shoulder!! lol

RyanW

Koch-head
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Nov 5, 2010
    Baton Rouge
    If I'd have known that I'd have suggested trying to find something with a little less thump!!! There is a method to shooting the big magnums prone without beating up your shoulder, but learning to use a scope at the same time isn't quite the time. Glad you won't have any black eyes to go with that blue shoulder!! lol

It's just weakness leaving the body! lol

I figured out right away that eye relief was going to HAVE to be my friend, so I made several adjustments before squeezing off the first shot, and thankfully it worked.

I noticed that when I could raise my upper body a little more, the butt would seat better, but it nosed the rifle down too much, at one point I felt it on my collar bone a bit, but made an adjustment, thank god lol. I wonder if maybe a little more bipod height would have helped a bit. The only bipod guns I've ever shot were more about puting lead in the air, not precision.

Last edited:

Jimmy76

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 30, 2009
    Prairieville, LA
    Great class and many thanks to all that volunteered, yall could have charged alot more for this experience! I'll be coming back for a match! I haven't stopped thinking about it and will always remember the first time the target came back up and I actually scored a hit! "WOW, this is cool" was said many times. If anyone has any interest in doing something like this, definately sign up for this class. You don't have to have lots of expensive equipment (but my wish list has grown now, THANKS ALOT!) to give it a shot and you'll be happy you did. All the gentlemen that helped with instruction were very informative and helpful.
    Thanks again to all,
    Jim

Saker

"Send It"
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    May 9, 2011
    Prairieville, LA
    Wow! We had 22 shooters attend the clinic today and we had as much fun putting it on as hopefully they had attending it. Several folks found out they can indeed shoot 600 yards. If you attended and have an opinion on the class, please let us know.
    thanks to everyone who came out.
    Here are a couple of pictures.

Shooters on the line (the other 11 are in the pits)-
    002-1.jpg

What they saw-
    009.jpg

Heya Chaser and xmeister......this looks very familiar!

:D

RStewart

Not Easily Impressed
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Mar 14, 2009
    Gonzales, LA
    I would be remiss if I did not thank Peterf225 for his help today. He and I spent most of our time coaching in the Pits and without his help, my job would have been much tougher. Thanks, Peter!

RStewart

Not Easily Impressed
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Mar 14, 2009
    Gonzales, LA
    QUOTE=FishingFool;795208]hehehe. Hunger overtook me.

I don't know why but I don't have that problem.[/QUOTE]

Because you bring three course meals in Hello Kitty ziplock bags to the pits with you. Mickey told me so!

Been missing you shooting with us, Mike! Still need the Grendel etched.

Last edited:

Sigforty

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 20, 2007
    Great class guys! I enjoyed myself out there. It was really satisfying to hit a few X's at 600 yards. I am hoping to make it to some of the other classes.

Request Dust Off

Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Feb 11, 2007
    Westbank N.O.
    Been missing you shooting with us, Mike! Still need the Grendel etched.

I have been missing it & you guys too. I can't remember the last time I shot centerfire. I have not hardly shot in the last 2 months at all. Besides everything else the heat & rain is not a motivator.

Whenever you want to get it done let me know. I'll have some snacks!!

Top Bottom