iOS 8 and Apple Security says they can't comply with data request

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • GunRelated

Rating - 100%
    41   0   0
    Feb 22, 2012
    Walker, La
    Not necessarily, if the bootloader is able to be unlocked you can run whatever version you choose with lots of customized/optimized roms to choose from (once they are developed).

GunRelated

Rating - 100%
    41   0   0
    Feb 22, 2012
    Walker, La
    That said, I bought a used SG3 from a friend and it so happened to already have 4.4.2 on it which has a locked bootloader so I am not able to run custom roms or different software versions unless I send it off and pay $50 to have it loaded with a previous version which is not going to happen. This is the first non-motorola phone I've had been in years and I don't care for it so much. But, I can't upgrade with a new contract unless I pay retail for the phone otherwise I lose my unlimited data. So I'm stuck buying used/refurbished phones.

Last edited:

Hitman

® ™
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Sep 4, 2008
    Lake Charles
    But you're still running Android Software.....

You don't have to run the latest iOS either.

Still doesn't add any leverage to your statement. Either you're running Android or IOS .... Just different phones..... :dunno:

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

GunRelated

Rating - 100%
    41   0   0
    Feb 22, 2012
    Walker, La
    But you're still running Android Software.....

You don't have to run the latest iOS either.

Still doesn't add any leverage to your statement. Either you're running Android or IOS .... Just different phones..... :dunno:

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Can you run 3rd party apps? Can you customize the iOS software to fit your liking/needs other than default options/settings?

Hitman

® ™
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Sep 4, 2008
    Lake Charles
    Customize is quite the broad term. 3rd Party Apps? Like I said, I'm not sure of any aps that exist on Android that I (need) on an IPhone. Can you name any? What 3rd Party apps are you talking about?

You may not know this but most everyone here has had an Android run phone. Most of us for years like myself. Most here now run iPhone's with no problems are desire for anything else. Not claiming its any better, but I'm lacking nothing in an IPhone that I wish I had in an Android app phone. :confused:

This whole customization argument is non-sense really. I had a Samsung, wife's got a s4 Mini now. Nope....still don't understand this whole "but you can customize it" argument..... :dunno:

There's plenty I can change in the iOS software...... :dunno:

Anyway, I got ducks to clean. Later

Sent from my iPhone 6 using Tapatalk

Last edited:

GunRelated

Rating - 100%
    41   0   0
    Feb 22, 2012
    Walker, La
    Customize is quite the broad term. 3rd Party Apps? Like I said, I'm not sure if any pass that exist on Android that I (need) on an IPhone. Can you name any? What 3rd Party apps are you talking about?

You may not know this but most everyone here has had an Android run phone. Most of us for years. Most here now run iPhone's with no problems are desire for anything else.

This whole customization argument is non-sense really. I had a Samsung, wife's got a s4 Mini now. Nope....still don't understand this whole "but you can customize it" argument..... :dunno:

There's plenty I can change the iOS software...... :dunno:

Anyway, I got ducks to clean. Later

Yeah, I'm not really trying to make an argument so much as to understand/learn a little more about the iOS, so I guess I should have worded my first statement differently.
    By 3rd party apps I mean apps that are not in your Apple app store. For instance, for streaming music I run an app (or version off an app) that is not in the Google play store. Let's use music for an example, what options do you have for music on iOS? Just iTunes? Or are there other apps as well, such as for free streaming?

Hitman

® ™
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Sep 4, 2008
    Lake Charles
    Probably not then. But are any if those necessary? I guess that's my angle. In the last 4 months of using an IPhone, I've yet to run into a situation where I was thinking "man, I wish this phone was running Android".

Being that a fact, I sort of have the 'Who cares' attitude towards apps that aren't necessary(for me).

GunRelated

Rating - 100%
    41   0   0
    Feb 22, 2012
    Walker, La
    Well, being that I am not familiar with apples apps, are they free, do they fit my needs, etc, I can't say that they are necessary. What I can say is that I rarely pay for any app/service. Music is free, video is free, wireless tether is free, of course without unlimited data this wouldn't matter so much. I guess when it boils down to it, I am similar to you in the fact that if it works and it is simple to use then it's good enough for me. Though there are times when I get bored and I start messing with different things, customizing this and that but in truth it's mostly just aesthetics. There are some mods that do help with certain tasks or features such as battery, but most of the customizing is really just 'looks and feel'.
    I just like the option to have different options I guess? Even if a lot of those options aren't really needed or used.

doc ace

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 14, 2012
    Pineville/Deville
    I get what you are getting at GR, but, I have yet to want for anything on my iPhone 5S except more memory space... but that is what my laptop and 2 TB harddrive are for, more space if I need it.

Apple has made everything flow together so seamlessly. I've owned both and can say that the GS4 with Android I had didn't run as seamlessly as the iOS. If you get Zedge you can fully customize ringtones and wallpapers, as well as if you chose to jailbreak, you can have full accessibility and customization of any and every option like home screens, icons, fonts, etc. I am a very happy camper coming back to iOS8 and my 5S, and when my upgrade comes next year, hopefully the 6S will be out just in time.

doc ace

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 14, 2012
    Pineville/Deville
    and yes... there are many many many Apple apps that are free... I don't mind tossing developers .99 or 2.99 here and there for amazing apps that they have worked tirelessly on. Everyone needs to be paid for their hard work... in my opinion! If you can score a good iPhone 5S off of craigslist for a decent price that isn't home screen/itunes locked (because they are generally stolen when they are sold like that) then I would snatch one up.

Just the fingerprint scanner to log in and pay for apps/music is great, and Apple Pay will soon be here with Chase.

Also now iTunes is fully capable of sharing your purchases on your account with up to 6 family members, as well as giving parents the option to let their kids use the "ask to buy" feature if they see an app or song they want, they cannot download without the parent's consent on their end. Really nice little tidbits.

Hitman

® ™
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Sep 4, 2008
    Lake Charles

Just went through my 6 and all of those were already done. :dunno:

/

As far as Apps. Apple is boasting the App Store now has over 1.5 Million apps.

However, just like Android Based phones, their not all Free
    shrug.gif

/

Top Bottom