Is it OK for sling to stay on arm in hi-power?

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • CaptWSims

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 3, 2009
    Mandeville, LA
    I like to leave my sling on my shooting jacket when shooting off-hand...haven't seen anyone else doing this, and am wondering if there is any kind of a rule infringement when I shoot in first high power match.

My jacket has a loop that holds the sling in place on upper arm, and I never notice it until needed for prone or sitting. Then I just clip it to my AR15 and go...do have to adjust length when going from sitting to prone, though...like I'd have to anyway.

ARboy

Master Class
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 27, 2009
    Mandeville
    ok, so i'm pretty sure that when shooting in the service rifle category you can't attach your sling to the little hook on your jacket. in fact, i believe it has to be completely removed from the jacket(don't quote me on that).

For offhand the sling has to be attached to the stock and the loop at the front of the handguard.

Request Dust Off

Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Feb 11, 2007
    Westbank N.O.
    ok, so i'm pretty sure that when shooting in the service rifle category you can't attach your sling to the little hook on your jacket. in fact, i believe it has to be completely removed from the jacket(don't quote me on that).

For offhand the sling has to be attached to the stock and the loop at the front of the handguard.

I'm pretty sure you are right.

CaptWSims

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 3, 2009
    Mandeville, LA
    The rules are clear that what I've been doing is not allowed...wondering if it would be a rule violation to have a sling attached to the rifle per the rules for off-hand, and another sling prepped for use in sitting/prone?

Means 1 sling would be "just for show" to meet the rules, and other would be actually used....

owen502

Don't Ban Me Bro
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jul 29, 2008
    Pearl River, LA
    Are you shooting service or match rifle? I don't see why you couldn't just have an extra sling on a match rifle. It would be too much trouble for a service rifle as you can't have the quick disconnects.

dzelenka

D.R. 1827; HM; P100x3
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 2, 2008
    Covington
    You can leave sling on arm, but must have another one on the gun. Can't use sling hook for service rifle. For match rifle, you don't have to have a sling on the rifle at all (most don't even have a rear sling swivel.

Dan

CaptWSims

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 3, 2009
    Mandeville, LA
    Turner sling arrived yesterday. Had to treat it with Mink Oil to loosen up and lube the fresh leather. Very high quality product. Reviewed pics online showing how to use the sling and then practiced. Not as quick and easy as my old setup, but at least it is legal and easy enough!

Top Bottom