Is Lead Production going to be the end of shooting sports ??

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • tactical723

3 Gun / F Class Player
    Rating - 100%
    41   0   0
    Feb 16, 2008
    Northshore - Covington, LA
    Dont think so. I read several articles stating that the OBAMA admn is going to squash out shooting sports and claim victory with gun control by putting an end to the lead smelting industry. Well that is true, the last smelter is being forced down, however the EPA through many admn has wanted to put an end to it. So the next question is where do we get lead from. This is the interesting part. US produces and smelts 444K metric tons of lead, that is the 3rd largest producer. China is first at producing 1.4M metric tons. In second place is Australia at 600k metric tons. Mexico and India together produce almost what US produces. So in short, it appears the places we get most of our imports anyway (China, Mexico, and India) are the largest producers. What I have researched show that there will be no shortage of lead. IN fact, the prices may even go down.

The only way the Govt could control Lead is to tax the importation,. Lets see what happens.

http://www.indexmundi.com/minerals/?product=lead

Grim333

Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jan 13, 2009
    Madisonvile, La.
    According to a Wall Street Journal article a couple of weeks ago, battery manufacturing is the biggest user of lead by far. Growing Asian economies (like China) are expected to need ever increasing numbers of batteries. So less lead for the other stuff, like ammo.

JNieman

Dush
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 11, 2011
    Lafayette
    Yes this is all Obamas fault.

Never mind that the laws they were in violation of were passed in the 70s, long before Obama even thought about running for President.

Never mind that this has been an on going battle for decades in Missouri, long before Obama took office.

Never mind that the eastern Missouri lead industry has polluted and tarnished a large mass of Missouri land unhindered over the last century until relatively recently.

Never mind that the COMPANY chose to close down in 2013 as opposed to years from now as required.

Never mind that the company that owns this smelter has 9 other facilities unrelated to lead smelting that are also negligently out of compliance with long-standing laws and regulations proving that the company has had no regard for the safety of their workers and surrounding residents or cleanliness of their surroundings.

Never mind that the PEOPLE of Herculaneum Missouri have documented and proven levels of lead in their blood showing negligent contamination of their surroundings.

It /MUST/ be Obama!

Never mind that ammunition is largely made from /recycled/ lead and not pure smelted lead, which this has no affect on.

Never mind that there are still operational lead RECYCLING facilities in the nation which will continue to feed the ammunition manufacturers. By the way, the USA has about a 98% recycle rate on lead.

Never mind that the ammunition manufacturers such as Sierra, Remington, Winchester, Federal, etc, all use secondary lead, not primary lead.

Never mind that the owner of ATK has come out saying that this has no foreseen effect on their ammo production.

NOPE.

FUKCING CONSPIRACY.

Our own worst enemy indeed.

Last edited:

highstandard40

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 14, 2009
    Prairieville
    I don't think lead production stateside will be the shooting sports biggest problem. The US has imported most of its virgin lead for years. I think a federal ban on the possession of lead is much more likely to be our biggest fear.

oppsImissed

Rating - 94.6%
    35   2   0
    Sep 3, 2012
    somewhere south of I12
    This is just the next big conspiracy. Why does everyone jump on the band wagon and start blaming. We all knew it was coming. The EPA has been cracking down on everything. It was gonna happen sooner or later. I"ll just sit back with my stock pile and keep melting wheel weights.

Fred_G

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 5, 2013
    West Monroe
    Yes this is all Obamas fault.

Never mind that the laws they were in violation of were passed in the 70s, long before Obama even thought about running for President.

Never mind that this has been an on going battle for decades in Missouri, long before Obama took office.

Never mind that the eastern Missouri lead industry has polluted and tarnished a large mass of Missouri land unhindered over the last century until relatively recently.

Never mind that the COMPANY chose to close down in 2013 as opposed to years from now as required.

Never mind that the company that owns this smelter has 9 other facilities unrelated to lead smelting that are also negligently out of compliance with long-standing laws and regulations proving that the company has had no regard for the safety of their workers and surrounding residents or cleanliness of their surroundings.

Never mind that the PEOPLE of Herculaneum Missouri have documented and proven levels of lead in their blood showing negligent contamination of their surroundings.

It /MUST/ be Obama!

Never mind that ammunition is largely made from /recycled/ lead and not pure smelted lead, which this has no affect on.

Never mind that there are still operational lead RECYCLING facilities in the nation which will continue to feed the ammunition manufacturers. By the way, the USA has about a 98% recycle rate on lead.

Never mind that the ammunition manufacturers such as Sierra, Remington, Winchester, Federal, etc, all use secondary lead, not primary lead.

Never mind that the owner of ATK has come out saying that this has no foreseen effect on their ammo production.

NOPE.

FUKCING CONSPIRACY.

Our own worst enemy indeed.

Nevermind that you don't bother to quote a source for your claims.

Do agree with you on several of them.

JNieman

Dush
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 11, 2011
    Lafayette
    Nevermind that you don't bother to quote a source for your claims.

Do agree with you on several of them.

That puts me on at least as credible ground as the major outlets, NRA, NAGR, GOA, and other media pundits riding this conspiracy theory for all it's worth.

trigger643

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 24, 2012
    Kingwood
    The majority of primary lead produced in the US is a byproduct of zinc and silver smelting (yep, dozens of producers). The leading producers of lead, primary and secondary, are Doe Run and Tech Cominco. Doe Run's shuttering of it's hundred year old primary smelter still leaves it the largest lead producer in the world, and still the largest in the U.S., with it's secondary smelter in Missouri continuing operation.

http://www.infomine.com/commodities/lead.asp

tupperware9mm

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 30, 2010
    Lafayette, LA
    I read an article that stated that bullet production in the US is a lead consumer of secondary lead (recycled) All major producers of projectiles and bullets say that closing this facility will have little to no impact on their operations.

Cajun Chooter

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 18, 2011
    So Louisiana
    if anyone does not thinks our present administration does not want to hinder our shooting/guns hobbies/rights... I have some mountain top lots in Venice, La to sell, they are not cheap but the view is incredible...

Leonidas

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Mar 4, 2010
    Slidell
    You know I hate to squelch a perfectly good argument; I have the stats to prove it.

It ain't just this administration. Statists and tyrants are the same, regardless of party affiliation.

CatCam

Ready, Shoot, Aim!
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 20, 2013
    Just a thought - If Solder can be "lead free" with a composition of 95% tin (Sn) & 5% Antimony (Sb) could this be used for bullet manufacture? Seems to be a soft enough composition and is pretty easy to melt. I don't know about the density properties and trajectory issues.......but steel shot has been used for a good while now and I've found it to be pretty accurate. I don't know - just throwing it out there.....

Top Bottom