Is this the intent of te straw purchase laws?

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • jjb518

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 22, 2012
    Gramercy, LA
    Back when I was 20 years old, my parents asked me but I wanted for my birthday. I told them that I had wanted an AR 15 for my birthday but I wanted to build it myself. I told my parents that all I wanted from them was the AR lower. I had looked around at a few local gun shops and found a lower that I wanted to buy for the build. Knowing that I was unable to buy stripped lower at the time, my parents went with me to the shop to purchase the AR lower for me. when we got there I pointed out what I wanted and they asked for my ID. I then said that they were going to be purchasing it for me, my parent, and that they needed to use all the purchasing forms. The person behind the counter then proceeded to say that since I was going to be the person in possession of the lower, that I would have to be the one to give my identification and fill out all of the forms. I proceeded to state that I was just a month or so before turning 21 and that they were just going to buy it for me as a present, but that I still was not a criminal and I have previously bought long guns from gun stores in the past, so I am fully able to legally possess the firearms. The clerk behind the counter then proceeded to explode on me and my parent saying that if he wanted to, and what he normally does in the past, is just take my identification going to the back and then call his FBI friend and then they would come and arrest me and that I would go to jail for up to 20 years, both me and my parent.

My question is, is this the true intent of the straw purchase laws. I mean, how was a father supposed to go to a store and buy a rifle for his son. Or how is a wife supposed to go to a gun store and then say that she is purchasing a gun for her husband. Would that not be the same thing? I just feel that the laws were intended for a different purpose, to prevent people purchasing firearms for people who were not allowed to possess them. Am I wrong for thinking this, if so someone please let me know.

Last edited:

Hitman

® ™
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Sep 4, 2008
    Lake Charles
    My question is, is this the true intent of the straw purchase laws. I mean, how was a father supposed to go to a store and buy a rifle for his son. Or how is a wife supposed to go to a gun store and then say that she is purchasing a gun for her husband. Would that not be the same thing? I just feel that the laws were intended for a different purpose, to prevent people purchasing firearms for people who were not allowed to possess them. Am I wrong for thinking this, if so someone please let me know.

Here's how.

I went to the store and bought my son a rifle.
    When I got home, I gave it to him.
    The End. Any Questions?

Same applies for several other family members.

JadeRaven

Oh Snap
    Rating - 100%
    60   0   0
    Sep 13, 2006
    Metairie
    If it's actually a gift, it's a gift. However many people say things are gifts when they are not. That leads a lot of dealers to be extra cautious to the point of being assholes about it. C'est la vie.

alpinehyperlite

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 27, 2011
    Baton Rouge
    The point of the law is to inhibit people from purchasing a weapon who legally cannot possess said firearm, such as a mental person, illegal immigrant or violent felon. To be a straw purchase (by intent of the law) both parties, (the one purchasing the weapon, and the one actually receiving the weapon) would know that the individual receiving the weapon cannot own the weapon legally.

jjb518

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 22, 2012
    Gramercy, LA
    The point of the law is to inhibit people from purchasing a weapon who legally cannot possess said firearm, such as a mental person, illegal immigrant or violent felon. To be a straw purchase (by intent of the law) both parties, (the one purchasing the weapon, and the one actually receiving the weapon) would know that the individual receiving the weapon cannot own the weapon legally.

So what you are saying is, the guy was being an A-Hole

alpinehyperlite

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 27, 2011
    Baton Rouge
    I wouldn't say he was being an *******, I'd say he wasn't going to risk any chance of losing his license due to pops saying it was for someone else.

But he might have been just being an *******.

JadeRaven

Oh Snap
    Rating - 100%
    60   0   0
    Sep 13, 2006
    Metairie

I don't know if such knowledge is actually required for a straw purchase.

Pas Tout La

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 12, 2012
    Droite La
    First off, you shouldn't have told the guy that it was going to be for you. Second, you should have told the guy to go into his back room and F himself and gone bought a lower from someone else. Maybe he was being extra careful, which I can appreciate, but no reason to be a dick and start threatening jail time about it. That's a good way to make enemies.

SpeedRacer

Rating - 100%
    92   0   0
    Feb 23, 2007
    Mandeville, LA
    The BATFE regulations are so muddy with so much grey area, I don't blame dealers for erring on the side of over cautious. You also have no idea how many people DO go in there with nefarious straw buying intent. They are not wizards and can't magically know who is making an illegal straw purchase and who is simply trying to innocently purchase a gift. What they do know is that their job and or business may be on the line if they make the wrong judgement call. Same reason you see the guy behind the counter at the gas station carding the lady who looks 50 when she buys liquor. Just not worth the risk even if it is a minor inconvenience for you.

olivs260

Rating - 100%
    45   0   0
    Sep 23, 2009
    Geismar, LA
    The BATFE regulations are so muddy with so much grey area, I don't blame dealers for erring on the side of over cautious. You also have no idea how many people DO go in there with nefarious straw buying intent. They are not wizards and can't magically know who is making an illegal straw purchase and who is simply trying to innocently purchase a gift. What they do know is that their job and or business may be on the line if they make the wrong judgement call. Same reason you see the guy behind the counter at the gas station carding the lady who looks 50 when she buys liquor. Just not worth the risk even if it is a minor inconvenience for you.

Gotta agree with this. On a personal level, I've turned down a deal from here once where the purchaser wanted to send his friend to actually buy it from me. I was pretty sure it would have been legal, but I just didn't want to take the risk that I didn't 100% understand the law. I wasn't a dick about it though :dogkeke:

JadeRaven

Oh Snap
    Rating - 100%
    60   0   0
    Sep 13, 2006
    Metairie
    There's a right way to turn someone down, and a wrong way. The OP's story is the wrong way.

You don't threaten a nice family with reporting them to the FBI and going to prison for 20 years. That's a shitty way to do business.

Just saying "I'm sorry we can't help you out today" would have been a better way to handle this.

jjb518

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 22, 2012
    Gramercy, LA
    First off, you shouldn't have told the guy that it was going to be for you. Second, you should have told the guy to go into his back room and F himself and gone bought a lower from someone else. Maybe he was being extra careful, which I can appreciate, but no reason to be a dick and start threatening jail time about it. That's a good way to make enemies.

I did just look aroud and found a stripped spikes lower for sale on here for $25 cheaper and just bought that FTF

nolaradio

Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 8, 2012
    Parts unknown
    The original poster said this was a while ago just before he turned 21. Is a stripped lower considered a handgun or a rifle? At 20, he should have been able to buy a rifle on his own, correct?
    But I agree, buy the rifle, pistol, whatever, then go home and give it to whoever it was intended as a gift.

Crippler7815

Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 8, 2012
    Lafayette, LA
    I think a stripped lower is classified as other, because in it's bare state, it could be either. It's pretty standard in plenty of other states to run the lower under handgun rules

nolaradio

Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 8, 2012
    Parts unknown
    I think a stripped lower is classified as other, because in it's bare state, it could be either. It's pretty standard in plenty of other states to run the lower under handgun rules
    Thank, did not know that. Never bought a lower before. All my purchases have been complete firearms.

Top Bottom