Its official. Im cable-less

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • SeventhSon

Evil Conservative
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Oct 30, 2008
    Slidell
    So I "cut the cable" today and shut off my cable TV. 5 good channels and 350 channels of worthless crap at $100 a month, done! We are going with Netflix, Hulu and the many streaming shows on various prime time TV websites. I dont think Ill miss it all that much. Anyone else do it?

gbundersea

Just my 2¢
    Rating - 100%
    34   0   0
    Jun 4, 2007
    Walker, LA
    We haven't had cable, nor even broadcast TV, in our house(s) since about 2004. Our video entertainment comes solely from DVD's we own, and (only within the last year) Netflix. With very few exceptions, every time we see the crap that's on "regular" TV, we are thankful that we don't have it.

gonepecan

Rating - 88.9%
    8   1   0
    Oct 2, 2009
    Somewhere
    No cable TV here. Been like this for years.

But I don't watch much TV anyway. Only thing I watch on TV is Saints games; the rest I can watch online.

sonanth

Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Mar 2, 2009
    New Iberia, LA
    Honestly, I'm too scared to. Maybe if I research the other options you've mentioned. I do have a Netflix sub though. I think the hardest part would be satisfying my 6yr old who loves Nickelodeon and Cartoon Network.

joey9139122

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 14, 2011
    Prairieville, LA
    Dropped it 5 months ago. I sent an email to these guys http://www.dennysantennaservice.com/ with my address and they suggest an antenna for me. It cost $80 and installed in my attic. Very simple installation, just point it to Baton Rouge. I catch the CBS, ABC, NBC, PBS and FOX in better HD than I had with cable. I watch the internet or for specific shows like breaking bad that I really like to watch, I just buy on itunes. I also have netflix which is a must for me.

It is the best $120 I have ever saved, and it happens every month.

topgunz1

Gold Member
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Sep 13, 2006
    Prairieville
    I couldn't do it... I have lots of different channels I watch, plus the wife has her shows that she DVR's. It also doesn't hurt that the wife works for the cable company

SingleActionSix

Subtle
    Premium Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 23, 2009
    West Baton Rouge Parish
    Cable free since 2002. Nothing but "rabbit ears". We do have Netflix online viewing. It's amazing how much we all spend on "services" per month. I have family that live "in the sticks". They have not had cable/satellite or internet as well as a tv in the house at all for over 3 years and love it. They do have a radio though. Sometimes you just have to hit reset.

Bearco

Instructor
    Rating - 100%
    92   0   0
    Apr 26, 2008
    Covington
    I've been trying to talk my wife into dropping directv. With the Roku device, I can watch all kinds of stuff through netflix/hulu plus/amazon tv and many more. I wanted to get our bill down from the $110/month, so I dropped all movie channels and it went to $60/month. Now, through price increases, it is back up to near $100/month. I have an antenna in my attic that picks up most possible over air channels.

Gus McCrae

No sir, I ain't.
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Feb 25, 2009
    Colorado
    We have cable internet, but have been without Cable TV for over a year. Other than football games, I don't miss it much. I still have way too much TV to watch.

Hitman

® ™
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Sep 4, 2008
    Lake Charles
    Congrats and welcome to the club.

I did this over 2 years ago.

Now we have Netflix with a Roku Box and I BARELY have enough time to watch that.
    I also have some Rabbit Ears for local channels/news which by the way are HD Crystal Clear.

I don't miss it at all. We were wasting over $100 a month on Direct Tv alone.

Nothing beats Netflix Instant though. Press play it comes on. Pause if you need to. NO COMMERCIALS! so episodes are only 40 to 50 minutes per TV show. When one episode or season finale ends I just press Play to start the next season :D

Last edited:

tim9lives

Tim9
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 12, 2010
    New Orleans
    Cable free since 2004,,,,I only have the over the air digital. All I really watch is the news, so it's OK. Digital TV is pretty damned good IMO,,,,and although I would like to have cable,,,it's not worth 100.00 or even 75.00 to me.

Russo

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jun 9, 2008
    Raceland,LA
    when i had my house in Houma, i only had internet and HD antenna... HD antenna pointed at New Orleans, i caught 14-17 channels for FREE.. all LSU, Saints, Golf, etc games for free in 1080i HD.. now that i live in Raceland, i can even catch channels from Biloxi (channel 13) and my total channels have grown to 19

Last edited:
    Top Bottom