Japanese ww ii flag - need advice

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • rdm227

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 4, 2012
    Prairieville
    I asked my Mom more about it. She said she doesn't remember how he got it. I think he took it from a soldier that was already dead. He was a Higgins Boat operator and was involved in the landing in D Day some kind of way. I wish I could go back and listen to his stories because as a kid you don't appreciate it or understand the significance of it. I am going over to my parents this weekend and will take a picture for yall. I know it has a bullet hole and blood on it.

jms

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 25, 2009
    Franklinton,La.
    Just so you know the difference D Day was in Normany France . If you G.P. took it off a Japanese soldier it had to be in the Pacific. Lots of Islands were invaded there by the allies including the Philippines ,Iwo Jima, Guam .

Emperor

Seriously Misunderstood!
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 7, 2011
    Nether region
    Speaking of which: Thursday is V-E Day!

But as with most major historical events that had enormous impact on our lives; most people don't even know!

XD-GEM

XD-GEM
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jun 8, 2008
    New Orleans
    Just so you know the difference D Day was in Normany France . If you G.P. took it off a Japanese soldier it had to be in the Pacific. Lots of Islands were invaded there by the allies including the Philippines ,Iwo Jima, Guam .

Actually the term "D-day" was a generic term used for planning any large scale operation whose actual date was to be set at some time further on - D-day, H-hour.

The one everyone unfamiliar with its precise use associates the phrase with is the Normandy Invasion, Operation Overlord

Emperor

Seriously Misunderstood!
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 7, 2011
    Nether region
    Actually the term "D-day" was a generic term used for planning any large scale operation whose actual date was to be set at some time further on - D-day, H-hour.

The one everyone unfamiliar with its precise use associates the phrase with is the Normandy Invasion, Operation Overlord

Except after the fact.

V-J Day = Victory over Japan. V-E Day = Victory in Europe.

sigfan556

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 5, 2009
    slidell,LA
    I donated my grandfathers captured flag and dagger to the d day museum. They put a plaque with his name on it next to it and with the cost of the dagger they gave him a brick with his name on it outside also. Needless to say I was more than satisfied with the respect my grandfather got and the professionalism they showed me. It was hard to give thaty stuff up but at least i know his memory will live on thru the ages. Also people will learn from the flag and dagger.

rdm227

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 4, 2012
    Prairieville
    I'm aware of the difference. I forgot to add that he was in several campaigns the Higgins part was the only thing I could remember. Sorry for any confusion.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk

TomTerrific

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 11, 2010
    Centre, Ky
    I'm aware of the difference. I forgot to add that he was in several campaigns the Higgins part was the only thing I could remember. Sorry for any confusion.

On my one visit to the museum in NO, there was a docent at the Higgens boat in what I call the lobby. He was a boat operator like your grandfather, from Chicago and married a NO gal.

He did his spiel and we talked one on one for at least thirty minutes. He had his scrap book and some mementos.

It was something I will never forget and I learned a lot I couldn't have learned any other way.

buttanic

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 2, 2010
    LaPlace, LA
    I bet if someone here had a pristine Arisaka or Nambu their relative brought back they wouldn't be considering donating it or sending it back to Japan.

dantheman

I despise ARFCOM
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Jan 9, 2008
    City of Central
    I bet if someone here had a pristine Arisaka or Nambu their relative brought back they wouldn't be considering donating it or sending it back to Japan.
    I have a complete matching Arisaka with the Mum , bayonet etc. It's not a family heirloom but I'll be damned if it will ever go back to Japan .

penguin

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Sep 12, 2006
    Slidell, LA / NOLA
    Return it to the Japanese embassy. When I was stationed in Okinawa I was given a similar flag my grandfather got when he was stationed in China during WWII. the way I look at it, wouldn't you like to have a piece of your grandfather's history if he was killed in the war? If it was taken off a dead soldier usually there is alot of writing on them from friends and family before they were shipped off to fight.

Emperor

Seriously Misunderstood!
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 7, 2011
    Nether region
    Return it to the Japanese embassy. When I was stationed in Okinawa I was given a similar flag my grandfather got when he was stationed in China during WWII. the way I look at it, wouldn't you like to have a piece of your grandfather's history if he was killed in the war? If it was taken off a dead soldier usually there is alot of writing on them from friends and family before they were shipped off to fight.

This^ post has made me change my mind. Your grandfather gets an American Flag for his service. This Japanese soldier's family doesn't. That is THEIR Grandfather's flag! You should return it to them.

However; if you cannot positively identify the exact family of that particular soldier, and can't be exactly sure they can personally receive it, don't leave it with anyone else! Then, you should keep it!

daxjosh77

Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Sep 17, 2012
    Baton rouge
    Keep it! That same japenese soldier would've killed your grandpa in a second if he would've had a chance and you wouldn't be alive now. Your grandpa brought that back as a trophy to show how he had a part of personally defeating evil and communisim. Read about The Rape of Nanking to see how twisted the japs were then. That flag is your birth right! Hang it and pass it down to your kids when you die! ( reminds me of the Christopher Walken scene in Pulp Fiction)

rdm227

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 4, 2012
    Prairieville
    Here is a picture of the flag

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1399844496634.jpg
      uploadfromtaptalk1399844496634.jpg
      59.8 KB · Views: 122

tim9lives

Tim9
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 12, 2010
    New Orleans
    If you keep it...you should get it professionally framed. That is a true piece of history there and it should be preserved. A good frame would probably preserve it. Also...make sure you do not hang it on a wall where the sun hits it.

It is awesome IMO.

I'd keep it. Like Daxjosh said. Rape of Nanking was brutal. And the Death march....Brutal. Gramps survived and left it to you.

rdm227

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 4, 2012
    Prairieville
    UPDATE: I sent the flag off to OBON 2015. It is an organization dedicated to getting the flags returned to the families. After they had the flag analyzed they discovered that there is not a individual Soldiers name on it. As it turns out, this flag came from a region that is famous for high quality porcelain pottery.
    And this flag contains the names of some of the greatest regional masters. The makers of this pottery must have made many of them and passed them out.

They were able to locate a son of one of the signers. They said he is very excited to know about this. Presently he is contacting the local leaders and they
    are deciding where this heirloom can be kept so that all the family members can visit it and see their relatives names.

I feel better knowing they were able to get it in the right hands.

Attachments

• 20140809_092848-1.jpg
      20140809_092848-1.jpg
      30.4 KB · Views: 101

dougstump

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 22, 2010
    x
    As the Britts would say, "Jolly good show, old boy!"

As far as museum donations go, I used to volunteer with the 8th Air Force Museum on Barksdale AFB. Museums can only display a small portion of their collection. Most donated items end up in storage. Sadly a lot of these items end up being traded off, given away, or even thrown out!

Top Bottom