Jeff Landry

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • CUJOHUNTER

EARPLUGS??
    Rating - 100%
    156   0   0
    May 19, 2009
    New Orleans
    Reciprocity is a good reason to get a permit. But getting a permit and getting training are not mutually exclusive. And most everyone I know agrees that training is a good idea. But there's a difference between being a good idea and being mandatory. It's a good idea to become educated on the issues and the stances of candidates before you vote. But not everyone does that. Should we make it mandatory for someone to have proper knowledge before voting? I'll ask again because you quoted most of my question but failed to answer it, what rights should have a training requirement?
    None..... it's just common sense.
    It's a thing that we shouldn't even argue about..... but we do. It's not a perfect world and we should always expect the anomaly of imperfections.
    NO.... there are no rights that have a training requirement.... come on man, it's just common sense. Is it wishful thinking to expect all law abiding citizens to train in order to take up arms? Yes it is..... and it ain't gonna happen.
    So, I say carry on.....

323MAR

Silver Member
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jan 15, 2014
    New Oeleans LA
    Ya'll do what you want to do.
    I'm gonna keep renewing my permit every 5 years and continue to train. Since I travel allot, my permit will allow me to carry in states that my La. CCP has reciprocity with.
    Carry on....
    Funny you say that! I worked on "Carry On" for Ambien/Netflix at the old airport in 2022 and early this year after the strike ended. It's another terrorism Christmas movie(think Diehard.)

Magdump

Don’t troll me bro!
    Rating - 100%
    163   0   0
    Dec 31, 2013
    Hammond, Louisiana
    My sons all had to take the hunter safety course before they could get their first hunting license. I’m sure they may have learned something new in the process but I didn’t ask.
    Before that course was mandatory, new hunters relied on a family member to pass down the basics of safety and the instruction needed to safely and effectively operate a firearm and somehow, the great outdoors didn’t turn into Armageddon.
    I laugh at law enforcement officials who parade around preaching doom and blood in the streets if everyone carrying a gun hasn’t paid their fee and taken a course. I’m embarrassed for them. I don’t know how they could possibly believe their own hype. Are they worried about the criminals? Are they worried about accidents? Even highly trained individuals are sometimes stupid with handguns. Cop left his entire rig in a public bathroom, LEO’s shooting themselves, getting tasers confused with sidearms. Training didn’t stop that from happening. I wonder why.

323MAR

Silver Member
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jan 15, 2014
    New Oeleans LA
    My sons all had to take the hunter safety course before they could get their first hunting license. I’m sure they may have learned something new in the process but I didn’t ask.
    Before that course was mandatory, new hunters relied on a family member to pass down the basics of safety and the instruction needed to safely and effectively operate a firearm and somehow, the great outdoors didn’t turn into Armageddon.
    I laugh at law enforcement officials who parade around preaching doom and blood in the streets if everyone carrying a gun hasn’t paid their fee and taken a course. I’m embarrassed for them. I don’t know how they could possibly believe their own hype. Are they worried about the criminals? Are they worried about accidents? Even highly trained individuals are sometimes stupid with handguns. Cop left his entire rig in a public bathroom, LEO’s shooting themselves, getting tasers confused with sidearms. Training didn’t stop that from happening. I wonder why.
    Don't forget the officer who faced down an acorn or the 2 lady cops who empted multiple mags at a homeowner who was mistaken for a burger! Let's not forget the trained cowards who refused to go after an untrained teen with a sporting rifle!
    Some cops are just there to collect a check and pension. I had the misfortune of working with some of those. Listening to them talk about what they couldn't do was tiring

gunslinger06

Never go to BR/NO
    Rating - 100%
    63   0   0
    Mar 11, 2008
    Leesville,LA
    I've been a CC permit holder for 1000 years and I will always be a CC permit holder.
    Constitutional Carry??
    Well, you might as well open up all the borders and let every unvetted criminal reside in your hometown because that's tantamount to imposing constitutional carry.
    Sure, carry without a permit, so will the thugs running around town.... all of a sudden their legal to carry!
    Think about it....
    If they aren’t convicted of anything they they should have the right to carry. I don’t really know what open borders have to do with the price of tea in China.

jdindadell

Not Banned!!!
    Rating - 100%
    267   0   1
    Feb 14, 2010
    Slidell
    Hopefully the constitutional carry is passed.

I am not a cc permit holder, and to be completely honest, if I need to carry, I do. Its my life, and I shall do with it as I please. Not sure how my decision in this matter will ever affect another person negatively. I'm not doing something that affects anyone else. Not screaming in public, not condemning others views, not trying to champion some sort of deviance. I'm just being prepared for a scenario that I hope never happens.

Now I am mostly at home or my shop, so no issues there. Same in my car, 99 percent of the time I am driving alone so no issues either.

I have not shot anyone in an unjustifiable manner, I have also not shot anyone period.

I consider my chances of getting shot by a regular member of society who is carrying for personal protection to be very low. Now having one of them run me over with their car because they are too busy watching a cat video, well that is much more likely.

You have to think about this, if you, or society, does not trust someone to have a gun and carry it, well there are a bunch of other things that they should not be trusted to do. Like walk around in public, drive a car, wash themselves, be a parent, etc, etc.

Like I said, I will be the one who determines how I go about my life, not some wackjob who does not know the difference between their azz and a hole in the ground.

Kuhndog

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 28, 2014
    Prairieville, La
    Personally I feel if you have fulfilled your debt to society (prison and probation time adjudicated for your crime) all of your rights should be restored.

The fact that most felonies are non-violent and can cost you your right to vote, and right to self defense doesn’t seem appropriate. I of course, like most everyone on here, have not and do not intend to commit a felony.

thperez1972

ESSAYONS
    Staff member
    Gold Member
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 28, 2015
    Baton Rouge, LA
    Personally I feel if you have fulfilled your debt to society (prison and probation time adjudicated for your crime) all of your rights should be restored.

The fact that most felonies are non-violent and can cost you your right to vote, and right to self defense doesn’t seem appropriate. I of course, like most everyone on here, have not and do not intend to commit a felony.

You only lose your right to vote wile you are in jail and if you come out of jail on parole. And even on parole, you only lose it for 5 years. So if you are on parole for 10 years, you get your voting rights back after 5. If you're only on parole for one year, you get your rights back when your parole is done.

"People are eligible who are:
    18 years old, U.S. citizens, and residents in Louisiana.

People convicted of a felony must be either:
    No longer serving a sentence, or
    On Probation, or
    On parole for over 5 years.

The only people who are barred are either in prison, or actively on parole for less than 5 years."

Magdump

Don’t troll me bro!
    Rating - 100%
    163   0   0
    Dec 31, 2013
    Hammond, Louisiana
    I’d like to take a moment to reiterate a point I made earlier in this thread that seems to escape some folks. Here we go….
    When Constitutional carry goes into effect, those people who actually begin to carry concealed for the first time as a result of the new law are:
    1. LAW ABIDING CITIZENS
    Everyone else who has been carrying concealed without a permit has been breaking the law.
    It’s doubtful that criminals have been waiting all these years for the legal clearance to carry a concealed firearm.
    2. ALREADY GUN OWNERS
    and likely mostly lifetime gun owners. Already trained in some fashion by some trusted member of the family or other qualified person, and or had a hunter’s safety course to boot.
    3. RECENT NEW GUN OWNERS
    likely making up the smallest portion of the pack. These folks have had reservations for years about owning a gun, but finally, after much thought, decided to purchase a gun for self defense. These folks are generally the most responsible, and generally seek out proper instruction and follow the laws due to their sense of restraint.

A far cry from blood in the streets. Something that would have happened long ago if it were going to.

Last edited:

Kuhndog

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 28, 2014
    Prairieville, La
    You only lose your right to vote wile you are in jail and if you come out of jail on parole. And even on parole, you only lose it for 5 years. So if you are on parole for 10 years, you get your voting rights back after 5. If you're only on parole for one year, you get your rights back when your parole is done.

"People are eligible who are:
    18 years old, U.S. citizens, and residents in Louisiana.

People convicted of a felony must be either:
    No longer serving a sentence, or
    On Probation, or
    On parole for over 5 years.

The only people who are barred are either in prison, or actively on parole for less than 5 years."

Thanks for correcting me. I thought it was a permanent suspension like the right to own firearms.

thperez1972

ESSAYONS
    Staff member
    Gold Member
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 28, 2015
    Baton Rouge, LA

GunRelated

Rating - 100%
    41   0   0
    Feb 22, 2012
    Walker, La
    Thanks for correcting me. I thought it was a permanent suspension like the right to own firearms.
    2nd amendment rights may also not be permanently suspended either.

It's 10 years after sentence is served, if I remember correctly, for most felony convictions, unless an expungement or pardon is granted.
    This is another example of, if one has $ or connections, this legislation likely doesn't apply.

thperez1972

ESSAYONS
    Staff member
    Gold Member
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 28, 2015
    Baton Rouge, LA
    It's 10 years after sentence is served, if I remember correctly, for most felony convictions, unless an expungement or pardon is granted.
    This is another example of, if one has $ or connections, this legislation likely doesn't apply.

Like is an example of money makes things easier for people.

Top Bottom