Jeff Landry

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Swampwood

Long Term "Newbie"
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   1
    Feb 9, 2010
    Northshore Area
    This is all very interesting and it's soon to be the law of Louisiana. I don't think the sky will come falling down and most of us have deeply rooted thoughts and opinions on the Great Responsibility that comes with both gun ownership, responsible carrying and use of the same.
    Then there are the almost insurmountable legal and liability issues that "Law Abiding Citizens " will face (God forbid) if we are ever in the situation where we had to use our weapon defensively. But that is what we will have to do in this age of lawlessness. Criminals never did give 2red cents for the Laws of the Land. I might be wrong but I think most shootings are drug or robbery related and in some obscure way those criminals never care whom they hurt. They use totally illegal firearms that have been modified to operate as machine guns that spray bullets indiscriminately hitting the criminals and the innocent bystanders. Laws are only as good as the people who abide by them and that defines a "Law Abiding Citizen "
    We will need cool heads to be able to prevail. I can envision as tempers flair in all sorts of situations that Descalation will be very necessary but very impossible as tempers and pride take control. After all it is only human life, eh? I am glad that I am old, but fear for our children and grandchildren, for we have lost the art of conflict resolution as many seem to just want the blaster mentality.
    I was out this weekend in a small town enjoying an outing with family. I noticed a person enjoying their right to open carry in Louisiana. I did not feel intimidated or threatened by their choice, but again I am around firearms enough that they are second nature. This person was eating their meal and drinking their long neck not bothering anyone. Was this behavior proper? Are we to have more and more carriers to be influenced by things other than a straight and level head? I hope and pray not, for that will ruin many a good life.
    This may seem off topic to some, but I choose to look at the big picture and a possible return to old western days. I am not trying to change anyone's mind but just speak of the things that will soon be reality IMHO.
    Swampwood

4-14

treat never keep keep
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 24, 2012
    WBR
    I’d like to take a moment to reiterate a point I made earlier in this thread that seems to escape some folks. Here we go….
    When Constitutional carry goes into effect, those people who actually begin to carry concealed for the first time as a result of the new law are:
    1. LAW ABIDING CITIZENS
    Everyone else who has been carrying concealed without a permit has been breaking the law.
    It’s doubtful that criminals have been waiting all these years for the legal clearance to carry a concealed firearm.
    2. ALREADY GUN OWNERS
    and likely mostly lifetime gun owners. Already trained in some fashion by some trusted member of the family or other qualified person, and or had a hunter’s safety course to boot.
    3. RECENT NEW GUN OWNERS
    likely making up the smallest portion of the pack. These folks have had reservations for years about owning a gun, but finally, after much thought, decided to purchase a gun for self defense. These folks are generally the most responsible, and generally seek out proper instruction and follow the laws due to their sense of restraint.

A far cry from blood in the streets. Something that would have happened long ago if it were going to.
    1 and 2 have always been my points. I’ve always believed that people won’t go out any buy guys just because they can now conceal without a permit. But if they did, it’s people who already have pistols and want something more concealable.

MSST8DOG

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 6, 2009
    I've been a CC permit holder for 1000 years and I will always be a CC permit holder.
    Constitutional Carry??
    Well, you might as well open up all the borders and let every unvetted criminal reside in your hometown because that's tantamount to imposing constitutional carry.
    Sure, carry without a permit, so will the thugs running around town.... all of a sudden their legal to carry!
    Think about it....
    News flash...CUJOHUNTER, the thugs are already running around town carrying and they don't care if you pass a law against it.
    They will only be legal to carry if they have not been convicted of a violent crime or a felony, AND have not been treated for most mental illnesses (especially ones like paranoid schizophrenia).

MSST8DOG

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 6, 2009
    This is all very interesting and it's soon to be the law of Louisiana. I don't think the sky will come falling down and most of us have deeply rooted thoughts and opinions on the Great Responsibility that comes with both gun ownership, responsible carrying and use of the same.
    Then there are the almost insurmountable legal and liability issues that "Law Abiding Citizens " will face (God forbid) if we are ever in the situation where we had to use our weapon defensively. But that is what we will have to do in this age of lawlessness. Criminals never did give 2red cents for the Laws of the Land. I might be wrong but I think most shootings are drug or robbery related and in some obscure way those criminals never care whom they hurt. They use totally illegal firearms that have been modified to operate as machine guns that spray bullets indiscriminately hitting the criminals and the innocent bystanders. Laws are only as good as the people who abide by them and that defines a "Law Abiding Citizen "
    We will need cool heads to be able to prevail. I can envision as tempers flair in all sorts of situations that Descalation will be very necessary but very impossible as tempers and pride take control. After all it is only human life, eh? I am glad that I am old, but fear for our children and grandchildren, for we have lost the art of conflict resolution as many seem to just want the blaster mentality.
    I was out this weekend in a small town enjoying an outing with family. I noticed a person enjoying their right to open carry in Louisiana. I did not feel intimidated or threatened by their choice, but again I am around firearms enough that they are second nature. This person was eating their meal and drinking their long neck not bothering anyone. Was this behavior proper? Are we to have more and more carriers to be influenced by things other than a straight and level head? I hope and pray not, for that will ruin many a good life.
    This may seem off topic to some, but I choose to look at the big picture and a possible return to old western days. I am not trying to change anyone's mind but just speak of the things that will soon be reality IMHO.
    Swampwood
    If you actually read factual accounts about the old west, you will see that there were VERY few fun battles between people, just as there were hardly any towns "treed" by the bad guys. Most of the citizens of the old west were former soldiers or at least had been defending their homes and families from different factions for a long time. The west was a mostly polite society because as it has been said, "an armed society is a polite society" and that is true.
    It is also why you never hear of a mass shooting at a convention for law enforcement or the NRA.

AustinBR

Make your own luck
    Staff member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Oct 22, 2012
    If you actually read factual accounts about the old west, you will see that there were VERY few fun battles between people, just as there were hardly any towns "treed" by the bad guys. Most of the citizens of the old west were former soldiers or at least had been defending their homes and families from different factions for a long time. The west was a mostly polite society because as it has been said, "an armed society is a polite society" and that is true.
    It is also why you never hear of a mass shooting at a convention for law enforcement or the NRA.
    I know you meant "gun battles," but "fun battles" just sounds so much more intriguing... :mamoru:

Top Bottom