Join the NRA...yay...or nay?

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • JWG223

Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Aug 16, 2011
    Shreveport
    The NRA offers a few perks I want. I know a lot of people like them, a lot don't. Are they someone I want to throw my .02 in the hat with for the privileged of the benefits, and because their ends justify their means, or are their ends not as clear-cut as one might think, or is there even more to the story?

Cochise

is not here
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 19, 2012
    Calhoun
    I have to admit that the NRA does a lot of good work and has a lot of power, but there are better groups that use less disgusting tactics. If you like paying money to get lots of spam and junk mail, then go right ahead. The perks may be worth it to you. It's not for me though.

SGT_Kramer

Knuckle Buster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 23, 2010
    Ball
    Things about the NRA aggravate me but to me the good is more important. I know one thing they will never send me anything made in China again......:chuckles: They sent me a knife thanking me for my service. I apriciated the idea but it was made in China and kinda gave me the red butt. I called and asked nicly that they not use my donation or membership money to buy products from china and that it was meant to better this country. I got about 20 different apologies in different forms. Bust really if you love shooting and want to do your part not really a stronger better orginization then NRA.. They got my money even if they do call me at supper :curse: I swear they can see in my home.

Last edited:

oleheat

Professional Amateur
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    May 18, 2009
    Here's a good way to judge whether it's worth it or not.

Don't ask the people here what they think of the NRA- ask the most anti-gun person you know (or can find) what THEY think of the NRA.

You'll have your answer.

kcinnick

Training Ferrous Metal
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Dec 24, 2008
    Baton Rouge
    I was on the fence with the NRA until I joined the business alliance.

Some reasons to join, even if you are not a business

1. They offer a way for businesses to take credit cards for firearm and and firearm related items, most merchant accounts don't allow the sale of firearms or firearm related items. Their rates are the best in the business, so even if you aren't selling firearms it is worth the price of admission to check out the NRA alliance rates.
    2. You get $2500 of firearms insurance and $5000 worth shooting accident insurance included in the price, you just have to activate it.
    3. They offer affordable liability insurance and will defend gun shops and ranges from stupid and accidental discharges.

The NRA really facilitates the act of doing business in the gun industry, so if you want to continue to be able to buy guns, I wold join the NRA. Once accident or stolen gun with pay for a lifetime membership.

Golden Dragon

Stay Alert.... Stay Alive
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    171   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Mandeville
    Ever lived in a country where only the Government and Gangster (Bad Guys) have guns?

Thank about that,as it can happen here as it did to many other country's people sit back until is too late.

Support the NRA and all and any people who are looking out for your RIGHTS!

NRA LIFE member

Request Dust Off

Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Feb 11, 2007
    Westbank N.O.
    Don't sweat the small stuff. You can opt out of the marketing (I hear of mixed results to be fair)

A little nagging is a small price to pay for the big payoff. There is not one group that is as comprehensive as the NRA. If I am wrong let me know who is doing a better job and in what niche they are doing it in.

I have met some people from other countries with restrictive gun laws. Latest was a guy from Greece. They have some fairly restrictive laws by our standards. One being he couldn't own a pellet gun without a permit. Another being limits on shotguns in regard to shot size and pumps/semi-autos. I assume he was telling the truth.

I always say do something to help your gun rights. If not the NRA find another organization.

Last edited:

Storm52

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 18, 2009
    Shreveport
    Join. Don't provide your email address and be prepared to stop by the trash can on the return from your mail box. NRA is worse than Omaha Steaks when it comes to promotion mail. Given the current state of the USPS, they need the business.

tupperware9mm

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 30, 2010
    Lafayette, LA
    To me the NRA is not about trinkets and discounts. If it were not for the NRA the united nations small arms treaty would have passed, go ask Hillary Clinton.
    Something you may not know, When the Hub City Pistol club had to shut down because it had been swallowed up by the city (Lafayette) the members were at a loss as what to do. They contacted the NRA and informed them that they wanted to start a rifle and pistol range, and asked them how they should go about it. The NRA helped them define what they needed to build a sustainable range. With the specs in hand they looked for a number of years and found the perfect property. The price tag was very steep, they went back to the NRA to inform them of the property and asked their advice about how to approach financing. The NRA said don't worry about the financing we will finance it for you. That is how the Fusilier Complex began. That is why you are required to Join the NRA when you join Fusilier. I will say that is what I remember on how the process was explained to me years ago. If I had some details wrong it is pretty close.

sawgrass

Hunka Hunka burning lead.
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Mar 17, 2008
    Hammond
    Last edited:
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Feb 21, 2011
    Lake Charles
    Thanks to all the advice. I was about to start a similar thread the other day. I've been on the fence about joining the NRA for years. After seeing what everyone has said here and from what I've heard about them over then years I went ahead and sent in my membership.

Johnnyo

Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Just look around. Who else is supporting gun rights on a national level? I know they send out a lot of propaganda and seem to always be asking for money. But, they are a very effective lobbying organization and are feared by the left wing gun grabbers.
    I've always believed that if you enjoyed the benefits of something, you should be willing to put something back in for the benefit of everybody. It's like duck hunting. If you don't support the sport with your donations, eventually the sport dries up.
    Just sayin.

BS: I didn't do to good in schul so xcuse my spilling and grammaw.

gunz4me

Target Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Sep 14, 2006
    Lafayette
    A few years ago I was a member, but in 2008 I became annoyed with the constant bombardment of NRA scare tactic propaganda, and as a result, I didn't renew. Now that I am in business for myself, I'm considering rejoining. While I may not agree with their methods or politics 100% of the time, I tend to side with them more times than not. I look at it this way, gun grabbing politicians are scared of the NRA, so that alone is worth the cost of a 5 year membership.

Guate_shooter

LA CHP Instructor # 522
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Dec 4, 2009
    (Breaux Bridge)
    Everybody who has guns in this State SHOULD be a member of the NRA & the LSA!

NRA will fight on a higher level, Federal if needed. They also fund a lot of programs that allow for kids to get started and ranges for us grown ups to have fun at.

LSA makes sure we continue to exercise a right in our State and they push for changes for our own good.

BOTH are a must.

JWG223

Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Aug 16, 2011
    Shreveport
    You can get a 1 yr full membership for $25 instead of $35 if you sign up through Shooting USA. Jim Scoutten, host of the TV show, will pay $10 toward your membership. A good cause and a good deal.

http://www.shootingusa.com/LATEST_UPDATES/NRA_news/NRA_Membership/nra_membership.html

More win. Take the $10 you'll save and join our local support group. The Louisiana Shooting Association.

http://www.louisianashooting.com/lsa/showdept.php?action=show&nu_department_id=4&caller=index

I'm leaving the state next year, but I'll donate for you guys. This state is very restrictive and I hate it for ya. Are there any benefits to me, for joining the LSA, other than knowing I helped you, which makes a national impact, which will continue to help all of us?

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    jamesernestomurray
    Top Bottom