Just being a douche?

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • PrairieCajun

Ima let dat pass dis time
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Apr 4, 2010
    B.R.(da hood), LA
    And while several Customs Officials were being distracted by Mr. Dick's behavior the Chinese National with fake creds that should have been scrutinized was allowed to walk thru grinning to steal U.S. technology secrets. Congrats, the NASDAQ just fell 80 points while you read your magazine. :shocked:

Fisherman

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Sep 5, 2009
    Oh, come on guys. It's just standard procedure and it catches terrorists coming into the country. They say, "Are you now or have you ever been a terrorist?" and if the guy says yes, they go, "Ahah!!! Please step over there with the others we caught today." Isn't that how it works? :rolleyes:

Seriously, I would have given her something so I could expedite my way through the line. There are people waiting behind you and you're holding them up being childish.

joshuades

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 25, 2009
    I see a lot of folks posting about the person not answering about why he was out of the country. As I recall from the text, the man replied with "none of your business" which is, at least to me, a fully reasonable answer. It is none of their business. Everything else after that was an attempt to strong arm the person into bending to their will, not upholding the security of this nation.

To put it in smaller terms, would you feel it alright if you lived in an apartment builiding, that has a doorman, and he wouldn't let you in until you told him where you went and why? How many of you would be ok with this?

joshuades

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 25, 2009
    Oh, come on guys. It's just standard procedure and it catches terrorists coming into the country. They say, "Are you now or have you ever been a terrorist?" and if the guy says yes, they go, "Ahah!!! Please step over there with the others we caught today." Isn't that how it works? :rolleyes:

Seriously, I would have given her something so I could expedite my way through the line. There are people waiting behind you and you're holding them up being childish.
    I don't take upholding my privacy, nor my RIGHT to privacy, a childish act. Point of fact, it is the people in their oficial positions excercising childishness by persuading the man to answer a question by detention. Does anybody else feel these people crossed the line from doing their job to bullying non-compliants?

simplepeddler

Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Aug 30, 2010
    Saint Amant
    The answer could have been " none of your business, but if you must know, I was there to get as much asian puntang as I could" with a big cheesy smile.

Could be that this man was trying to force HIS authority over the "official" authority at the customs office.
    for goodness sake someone has to be in charge are there would be anarchy right??

Unfortunately, we now live with the fact that being a dick is just too damn easy.
    Sometimes it's a matter of chivalry.

Leonidas

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Mar 4, 2010
    Slidell
    I am frequently saddened and worried by some opinions posted on a forum that is solely dedicated to the free exercise, by free men, of a natural right that is recognized by our Declaration of Independence. It is not a right granted by the Constitution, but protected by it. Those documents are not intended to limit the rights of men, rather limit the power of Government.

It is the nature of government to consolidate power, to the detriment of liberty. Kinda hazy on this? How 'bout 'you have to wear a seatbelt.' How 'bout 'gotta have a helmet to ride.' Et cetera, et cetera, ad nauseum. My parents are dead, and I didn't elect anyone else to be my surrogate mommy.

I am NOT casting doubt on anyone's actions in this case, mainly because I wasn't there, and unlike some here, my crystal ball is malfunctioning. But even if the guy was a dick, so what. Thank him for taking the load off of you. It is necessary to constantly remind government of the rightful limits of its authority. If you don't do so in the small things, you simply hasten the day that the big things will be in jeopardy. Then what will you do? Call the guy that opens fire when the powers come for his guns a dick.

Stay asleep and comfy. Ridicule the one who stands for your rights and liberty. Don't be inconvenienced. Do that and you wind up with National Guard and others forcefully taking legal weapons from legal and free citizens at a time when they most need them for protection. Like maybe after a hurricane. I'm not criticizing the Guardsmen. I believe they really didn't know they were wrong, because NOBODY had ever TOLD them. Well friends, that's our RESPONSIBILITY.

Guess what? Because of that dick there are now half a dozen officials now aware of some of their limits, confirmed by a supervisor.

My God, wake up.

"The price of liberty is eternal vigilance."

Last edited:

Leonidas

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Mar 4, 2010
    Slidell
    I swear, I believe there are folks who would call Jefferson, Adams, Hale, Madison, et al dicks, if they were living in the late eighteenth century.

senseiturtle

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 26, 2007
    South Carolina
    I'm sorry, but I simply don't equate this guy's snide answer and self-righteous hissyfit with "defending my rights" on ANY level. If you want to "defend my rights..." Petition the repeal or abolishment of social security, obamacare, the IRS, Patriot act, gun control, war on _____(insert here)______ , or any other bull**** the government dreams up to seize power.

Getting into a pissing contest with a border guard just because they ask you the same small-talk question they ask over 100,000 people a day across the U.S.... NOT defending anyone's rights. Again, like the OC crowd is so famous for doing, they figuratively shoot themselves in the foot with negative attention while "defending" against some imagined assault on "their individual liberties".... when in reality, the officials involved couldn't care less. Him being an ******* gave them a reason to care.

Save your energy for the battle that actually counts. Don't give the lunatics any ammo by reducing yourself to petty foolishness. Just answer the damn question and go home.

In addition, I don't equate the actions of the founding fathers with getting into a penis-size contest with a border guard.

simplepeddler

Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Aug 30, 2010
    Saint Amant
    perceived Rights, procedures, rules, authority ..........
    None of these should ever overcome common sense.

"just answer the damn question and go home" makes perfectly good common sense to me.

Leonidas

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Mar 4, 2010
    Slidell
    I'm sorry, but I simply don't equate this guy's snide answer and self-righteous hissyfit.

Apparently your crystal ball is functioning properly. I read the same article and I didn't see anything about a hissy fit. I read about non compliance. More importantly, why do citizens have to back down to get along. Why not the "border guard."

The rest of your post reinforces my point. Why not just give up your guns and go home. There's plenty of folks that think you clinging to them is ridiculous.

And those guys were dicks. Dumping all that tea overboard over a lousy little tax.

S&W4ME

I'm kind of a big deal
    Rating - 100%
    62   0   0
    Sep 7, 2009
    Walker, LA
    I understand the point the OP was trying to make. I'm not saying he was right or wrong. Personally though, I pick and choose my battles a bit closer.

Leonidas

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Mar 4, 2010
    Slidell
    I have to wonder what it would take for some to finally say no.

Actually, I know the answer, to my chagrin. Most would willingly acquiesce to any usurpation that didn't upset their own little cart. But, get into their comfort zone and you'll have some wild eyed new converts.

I don't drink, and I'm sick of drunk drivers, domestic violence, and all that so often go with legal alcohol. Will you all join with me to reinstate the Volstead Act.

joshuades

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 25, 2009
    None of your business is a regular small talk answer. In the context of the text, the man is wel within reason to tell teh woman his affairs are none of her concern. The further escalation in the story is brought about by the people of official capacity trying to excercise power over the man without any justification. I think the man did just right by clamming up and doing only what was required to complete processing as it prevented the officers from bearing fruit from their abuse of authority.

drpc

Across the State Line
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 29, 2010
    Picayune, MS
    To answser the original question, Yes you were being a dick. I'm assuming you live alone, have no hobbies and have no better place to be than airport security or people to be with than airport cops.

BUT I wonder what a terrorist or drug smuggler or a guy with 30 chinesse monkeys stuffed into his pants would do in this situation? Would he act like a dick or would he answer every question with a carefully rehersed lie? .

SO if I'm airport security I would wave through all of the people who act like smart ass dicks and really watch the people who calmly cooperate with me.

joshuades

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 25, 2009
    Happily. I would make an EXCELLENT bootlegger and I'm always looking to get into a new industry in its infancy.
    I'm sure I can scrounge up an old firebird or TA and a Jeff Bridges look alike outfit. Can I call you "Paw"?

Man I hope I got that reference right...

Last edited:

SirIsaacNewton

Rating - 100%
    31   0   0
    Jul 22, 2009
    New Orleans, LA
    I guess you pick and choose your battles. We have rights and if you want to apply them to a circumstance which increases your time in the airport more power to you. The beautiful thing about this is by exercising your rights and making it an issue I am sure they knew you were a law abiding citizen. How many terrorists/drug smugglers would do that. None that is how many. If I would have been working there I would have patted you on the back and said well played sir well played and told you to enjoy your freedoms because the USA rocks.

SirIsaacNewton

Rating - 100%
    31   0   0
    Jul 22, 2009
    New Orleans, LA
    I have to wonder what it would take for some to finally say no.

Actually, I know the answer, to my chagrin. Most would willingly acquiesce to any usurpation that didn't upset their own little cart. But, get into their comfort zone and you'll have some wild eyed new converts.

I don't drink, and I'm sick of drunk drivers, domestic violence, and all that so often go with legal alcohol. Will you all join with me to reinstate the Volstead Act.

I don't menstruate and I am all for outlawing PMS. Retarded fights and emotional hubbub would be eradicated.

Happily. I would make an EXCELLENT bootlegger and I'm always looking to get into a new industry in its infancy.

Agreed I just watched the first episode of Boardwalk Empire and I think the bootlegging industry could be right down my alley.

Last edited:

honestlou

Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 17, 2009
    Baton Rouge
    After reading thus far, two points come to mind:

1) Opinions on this vary by the poster's perception of the Customs Officers. Some seem to think that they are doing a job, questioning people, looking for suspicious behavior, trying to stop illegal behavior. Others seem to see them as jack-booted thugs trying to trample our rights and oppress the people.

2) I think we have ample opportunity to exercise our rights and take a stand against unwarranted government intrusion when it really matters. Exercising those same rights just for the sake of the exercise is being a dick. We all have the right to be a dick, but you're still a dick. Anyone who disagrees, please imagine me picketing in front of your house with signs with disparaging remarks about you. I would be exercising my right to free speech, letting all your neighbors know that I think you are an ass. Would this make me a dick?

Top Bottom