Just being a douche?

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Leonidas

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Mar 4, 2010
    Slidell
    Happily. I would make an EXCELLENT bootlegger and I'm always looking to get into a new industry in its infancy.

Gotta be careful not to drink up all the profits!;)

Actually, I'm laying plans to start smuggling incandescent bulbs after they become banned in 2012. May need a partner. Interested?

Yrdawg

*Banned*
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 24, 2006
    Big Woods
    After reading thus far, two points come to mind:

1) Opinions on this vary by the poster's perception of the Customs Officers. Some seem to think that they are doing a job, questioning people, looking for suspicious behavior, trying to stop illegal behavior. Others seem to see them as jack-booted thugs trying to trample our rights and oppress the people.

2) I think we have ample opportunity to exercise our rights and take a stand against unwarranted government intrusion when it really matters. Exercising those same rights just for the sake of the exercise is being a dick. We all have the right to be a dick, but you're still a dick. Anyone who disagrees, please imagine me picketing in front of your house with signs with disparaging remarks about you. I would be exercising my right to free speech, letting all your neighbors know that I think you are an ass. Would this make me a dick?

NP......free speech and all

DId I mention that my sprinkler system goes off randomly...and its fed by mechanical system ???

Sin-ster

GM of 4 Letter Outbursts
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Well thar ya go.....and thats how rights become privliges...

"I don't care if it's a right and this guy just took a huge step towards keeping the boot of tyranny off of our throats-- he's still a douchebag."

Taken out of context, I agree entirely with your point as it applies to the line you've quoted. And frankly, everyone with such a staunch view of the events as "defending our rights" seems to have the same aversion to context.

Let's establish something-- answering a customs official about why you were in China is nothing like protesting an unfair tax, or any of the other comparisons that have been drawn in this guy's defense.

Next, let's try careful reading. How many responses have been directed at the OP as if he were posting a first hand account? The very first line indicates that it was something he read. Come on, fellas-- all we have are words here on the Interwebz, so try to focus on the whole picture instead of whatever boils your blood.

Finally, to repeat myself for clarity-- I don't see anything wrong with this guy refusing to give information. He's a douche for going about it in such a douchey manner. You don't have to be snippy and self-important to exercise this particular right-- and I don't need a crystal ball to know that's what went down. The story says as much-- in a snippy, self-important tone with snippy, self-important opinions woven into the text.

"I'd rather not say." "No comment." "I don't believe I have to answer that."

These, along with countless others, are all better options than "None of your business." First and foremost, there's no polite way to say it without adding other phrases. Second, it's directed at the customs official-- who is just doing their job. "None of the government's business" is still pretty rough, but it takes the personal aspect out of it. On a subconscious level, these things matter!

It's no wonder the country is in shambles. On top of everything else, people have no inkling of how they are supposed to interact with each other. The only people who exercise civility have the best reasons to be hostile; the only people willing to honestly consider the opinions of others are the only ones smart enough to make rational decisions on their own.

Nomad.2nd

Rating - 100%
    66   0   1
    Dec 9, 2007
    Baton Rouge... Mostly
    Taken out of context, I agree entirely with your point as it applies to the line you've quoted. And frankly, everyone with such a staunch view of the events as "defending our rights" seems to have the same aversion to context.

Let's establish something-- answering a customs official about why you were in China is nothing like protesting an unfair tax, or any of the other comparisons that have been drawn in this guy's defense.

Next, let's try careful reading. How many responses have been directed at the OP as if he were posting a first hand account? The very first line indicates that it was something he read. Come on, fellas-- all we have are words here on the Interwebz, so try to focus on the whole picture instead of whatever boils your blood.

Finally, to repeat myself for clarity-- I don't see anything wrong with this guy refusing to give information. He's a douche for going about it in such a douchey manner. You don't have to be snippy and self-important to exercise this particular right-- and I don't need a crystal ball to know that's what went down. The story says as much-- in a snippy, self-important tone with snippy, self-important opinions woven into the text.

"I'd rather not say." "No comment." "I don't believe I have to answer that."

These, along with countless others, are all better options than "None of your business." First and foremost, there's no polite way to say it without adding other phrases. Second, it's directed at the customs official-- who is just doing their job. "None of the government's business" is still pretty rough, but it takes the personal aspect out of it. On a subconscious level, these things matter!

It's no wonder the country is in shambles. On top of everything else, people have no inkling of how they are supposed to interact with each other. The only people who exercise civility have the best reasons to be hostile; the only people willing to honestly consider the opinions of others are the only ones smart enough to make rational decisions on their own.

One point....

WHo knows how fed up he was...

I know I LOVED the 'Random search' of several of us in our Class A's, traveling on Gov't orders, with tickets that the Gov't had paid for...

While, we and little old grandmothers (And ANY hot women) were 'randomly searched'... people who shall we say... 'fit a certain profile' were not!

If i flew all the time, and had to deal with some of those self important people often... I might develop an additude as well.

Sin-ster

GM of 4 Letter Outbursts
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    One point....

WHo knows how fed up he was...

I know I LOVED the 'Random search' of several of us in our Class A's, traveling on Gov't orders, with tickets that the Gov't had paid for...

While, we and little old grandmothers (And ANY hot women) were 'randomly searched'... people who shall we say... 'fit a certain profile' were not!

If i flew all the time, and had to deal with some of those self important people often... I might develop an additude as well.

Completely agree with you on this point. I've been known to cop an attitude for completely unrelated reasons-- I think it's human nature. I did NOT, however, turn around and write an article about how proud I was of myself. If anything, I was ashamed for behaving so rudely.

However, a search of any kind is far different (and I think you'll agree, more severe) than a simple question as to the purpose of your trip. From what little I know of customs and international travel, it's pretty much SOP to ask that particular question.

dantheman

I despise ARFCOM
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Jan 9, 2008
    City of Central
    I sympathize with both sides on this issue , but , let me throw this out there . We are talking about a U.S. citizen , returning to his OWN country . Presumably , he wasn't on any kind of " watch list " ? His bags didn't contain anything illegal or dangerous . Why the interogation ? Who is wasting who's time here ? Just saying ...

Sin-ster

GM of 4 Letter Outbursts
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    I sympathize with both sides on this issue , but , let me throw this out there . We are talking about a U.S. citizen , returning to his OWN country . Presumably , he wasn't on any kind of " watch list " ? His bags didn't contain anything illegal or dangerous . Why the interogation ? Who is wasting who's time here ? Just saying ...

Another good point-- both sides handled the situation pretty poorly, and I think both sides were wasting each other's time needlessly. Idiocy at its finest, all the way around. But situations like these tend to escalate naturally as one side tries to get "revenge" on the other. In that light, the first transgression is typically to blame-- at least in my humble book of "black and white justice". :mamoru:

The dude was coming back from China. I imagine if his trip had been to Australia or France, it wouldn't have been the same. Not that he couldn't still be dangerous-- I love my spy novels, and I know how these things work. :ninja: Just saying that on paper, "China" stands out.

I'm surprised we aren't condemning him by default! He's a card carrying California Commy!!! :cool:

BenCarp27

I feel like an old man...
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 3, 2010
    New Orleans Area, Southshore
    I think the guy probably showed up arrogantly, and expecting a confrontation. I agree that the custom agent(s) at the airport have no need to know what you were doing. They also shouldn't stop you from reentering your own country, of which you hold a full citizenship. But, if it was such a privacy issue, all a person would have needed to say, when asked what they were doing in China, was "personal business." Those two little words would have been a perfectly acceptable way of saying "none of your business", without causing a confrontation. You could have used "personal business" as an answer and not given any information that you wanted to keep private.
    I think the problem here wasn't that the cops were exerting authority. The problem here is an arrogant prick who didn't want anyone to appear as if they were even remotely intelligent enough to question or conversate with his supreme human existence.

Last edited:

Jed

Bloody Foreigner
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 27, 2009
    Clearwater Beach, FL
    I am frequently saddened and worried by some opinions posted on a forum that is solely dedicated to the free exercise, by free men, of a natural right that is recognized by our Declaration of Independence. It is not a right granted by the Constitution, but protected by it. Those documents are not intended to limit the rights of men, rather limit the power of Government.

This /\ /\

The end result is that, after waiting for about half an hour and refusing to answer further questions, I was released – because U.S. citizens who have produced proof of citizenship and a written customs declaration are not obligated to answer questions.

And this /\ /\

Because in the end it gains nothing (people lie) and is probably illegal (asking questions and then gauging your answers) due to the fact that it is basically profiling.

Leonidas

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Mar 4, 2010
    Slidell
    The government is going to be installing surveillance cameras in everyone's home soon because you MIGHT be violating the sodomy statute. I know no one here will mind, because if you're not doing anything wrong, you've got nothing to hide. Right?

Be cordial to the installers, cause they're just doing their job.

Where have I heard that reasoning before? Hmmm. Was it...no. How about...no, not there either. Got it. Nuremburg and The Hague. My memory isn't what it used to be, but I want to say it didn't work out too well for the folks who tried it.

"Extremism in the defense of liberty is no vice."

Nomad.2nd

Rating - 100%
    66   0   1
    Dec 9, 2007
    Baton Rouge... Mostly
    Completely agree with you on this point. I've been known to cop an attitude for completely unrelated reasons-- I think it's human nature. I did NOT, however, turn around and write an article about how proud I was of myself. If anything, I was ashamed for behaving so rudely.

However, a search of any kind is far different (and I think you'll agree, more severe) than a simple question as to the purpose of your trip. From what little I know of customs and international travel, it's pretty much SOP to ask that particular question.

Income tax and illegal traffic checkpoints are SOP as well

Coastie Paul

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 29, 2009
    Slidell, LA
    What country is the Time Square bomber a citizen of?

You're right. And if we're ever attacked again by Muslim extremists we should create camps where we can intern Muslim citizens in case they may have some non-American allegiance. Yeh. (sarcasm)

Regarding the original post, I have no problem with the story. Yeah, he can be called a dick, but it was a long flight:). God bless America and our right to be just about whatever we want. I've enjoyed reading everyone's thought provoking posts.

Bayoupiper

New Curmudgeon
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 28, 2008
    Iowa, LA
    You're right. And if we're ever attacked again by Muslim extremists we should create camps where we can intern Muslim citizens in case they may have some non-American allegiance. Yeh. (sarcasm)

Regarding the original post, I have no problem with the story. Yeah, he can be called a dick, but it was a long flight:). God bless America and our right to be just about whatever we want. I've enjoyed reading everyone's thought provoking posts.

My point was that he is a US citizen.

I was going to go on to say that these questions have been asked for YEARS.

It's nothing new.

But considering the very real threat of US citizen terrorists, then the questions take on a very different connotation.

Bullet

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 31, 2008
    New Orleans - Westbank
    I kind of got the same thing at the NO airport. The metal detectors kept sounding each time I went through. I then had to wait in an area until some one else came. Only thing I had left on was the shirt, pants, and underwear. Even the hand held detector was being set off. Meanwhile the wife is snapping pictures with my hands in the air as I'm scanned/searched (that made for good email pictures). I think it was the front pant button, but it seemed like it was plastic, but who knows. After a few question I was cleared to go. NO use in getting upset. Its just something that has to be done, but they were nice about it.

Baldrik78

Misanthrope Savant
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jul 7, 2009
    Baton Rouge, LA
    I always set off the metal detectors - by touching them.

It's not my fault their detectors are not wide enough for me to walk through without turning sideways.

Top Bottom