Karate advice for my kids

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • JBP55

La. CHP Instructor #409
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    338   0   0
    Apr 15, 2008
    Walker
    If you are going to stay with the traditional martial arts look at Shotokan,Tang Soo Do, or Issishan Ryu . Issishan may not be spelled correctly.

fastmover

fastmover
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 7, 2008
    lafayette, la
    some collages have Shotokan, TKD and Judo in there phys ed program. The point being..For instance; if you go to LSU and you have a Black Belt in Shotokan you get a A in Phys Ed. A lot of schools that teach the styles know this and conform to the university curriculum.

number one is; the instructor, the best system in the world taught by a douche is useless.
    two have them take a style that is in line with their strengths, TKD has lots of high kicks and forms, judo = wrestling, and shotokan is a lot of strikes, lowish kicks and forms. IMHO kids are to young to be worried about "holes in their game" or being a well rounded fighter. you are looking to give them a foundation in something they may be good at and enjoy.

just like gyms be wary of long contracts or or other huge binding agreements.

They should let you watch a class and take a few classes to see. It is hard to find a good place. Most are Strip Mall Ninjas or Cobra Ki, hard to find the middle ground. But good ones are out there they do it cause they love it and want your kids to succeed.

Pacioli

Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 10, 2009
    Baton Rouge
    I think FastMover has it just about right. I've worked out in numerous schools; Shotokan, Tae Kwon Do, even a couple of BillyBadAss Madeup Style gyms from the 70s up to this decade. While I'm still a chubby white boy who hates fighting, I observed a few things along the way.

I think the most important aspect is the teacher. Are his/her credentials legit, who is/was his teacher. Try to make sure you're not getting involved with someone who made up his own church. He may be a great fighter, but that's not the entirety of a martial art. There are plenty of whupass schools. Dojos and dojangs are fewer and father apart.

Secondly, look out for after-school money mills masquerading as martial arts schools. Contracts, mini-camps, power camps, pre-rank test camps(you get the idea) are generally more about revenue than training.

Ask how much rank tests cost at several schools and compare. You'll be surprised. Don't bother with the school whose teacher gets defensive when you ask detailed questions about costs. You know where their priority is when they do that.

I guess it comes down to looking for someone who earned their credentials in a legitimate system and is teaching to further the art and tradition they were given.

Just my .02

SpencerSS

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Sep 10, 2009
    Brusly, La
    It depends on what you want them to get out of it (Discipline, values, self defense, sport?). The quality of the instruction depends mostly on the quality of the instructor.

If you live on my side of the river ie: Brusly, Port Allen, Addis; I could make a suggestion.

CavalryJim

Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Top Bottom