Kenner Gun Show Was Really Disappointing Today

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • velociraptor

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 8, 2010
    Greater New Orleans Area
    I have attended the Kenner gunshow (virtually every time it is held) for years... over a decade anyway. My visit to it today will be my last for a while. The increased frequency apparently means fewer vendors are showing up and they raised the admission price to $10. Yes I know it is only $10 but the combination of fewer vendors AND a bump in admission really left a bad taste in mouth.

I will be looking for other better shows.

I was wondering if anyone else has similar thoughts on this show.

Last edited:

bigtattoo79

Rating - 100%
    94   0   0
    Sep 12, 2009
    LA
    Yes my daughter has finally asked to start shooting with me on a regular base. So she shot a bunch of handguns I own and she liked the G-19 the best so I told her we would get her a new one and call it hers. So I realize the Kenner gun show was this weekend and offered to bring her. We get there and the price was 10bucks I don't know when it changed but I'd didn't make me happy. Anyway we go in and I realize real quick that there were a lot of empty spots that are always filled with tables. I did score a brand new Gen 4 G-19 for $525.00 so I did ok. I will not be back to that show.

CEHollier

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Dec 29, 2007
    Prairieville
    Yes my daughter has finally asked to start shooting with me on a regular base. So she shot a bunch of handguns I own and she liked the G-19 the best so I told her we would get her a new one and call it hers. So I realize the Kenner gun show was this weekend and offered to bring her. We get there and the price was 10bucks I don't know when it changed but I'd didn't make me happy. Anyway we go in and I realize real quick that there were a lot of empty spots that are always filled with tables. I did score a brand new Gen 4 G-19 for $525.00 so I did ok. I will not be back to that show.

Prices for booths probably also went up and the vendors declined. Just like many other gun enthusiasts are doing. Higher prices for less selection isn't a recipe for business success.

Request Dust Off

Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Feb 11, 2007
    Westbank N.O.
    The heyday of the gun was either before out time or we just failed to make it (as kids??). Now the guns show has to compete with the internet 24 7.
    I don't think the gun show happening that often in Kenner helps either.

john17427

Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Oct 23, 2010
    Baton Rouge
    Prices for booths probably also went up and the vendors declined. Just like many other gun enthusiasts are doing. Higher prices for less selection isn't a recipe for business success.

This was my first thought as well when I walked in and saw the fewer tables. This followed my surprise at the new $10 admission. The third thing I noticed was the low attendance (Sunday at noon). The combination of higher admission, fewer tables, and generally high prices will likely push me to be a once a year visitor. I didn't see too many folks buying either except at the ammo can table and the guy selling hot nuts.

Hattrick 22

Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 13, 2011
    Kenner, Louisiana
    I was tempted to swing by sunday after i finished fishing then thought back to the past few times i went to one and saved myself the 10 bucks of going. This along with the recent vendors charging I think it was 65 bucks for a brick of .22 LR federal bulk I can say without a doubt I am done with gun shows I can't see spending that much on admission along with prices that are beaten by a google search...

I used to enjoy just walking around seeing what the vendors had and was willing to pay to check out all the different guns now i just save my time and money and buy from whoever has the lowest price on something.

NOLASHOOTER

Rating - 100%
    55   0   0
    Jul 9, 2010
    New Orleans
    I have not been to one in several months. The reason is I was disappointed by the offerings the last time I went. With the exception of the vendor who sells all the magazines most of the vendors have cheap Chinese crap for ridiculous prices. The magazine vendor does not have good prices but you could get a magazine that may not normally be available in the city. I really was annoyed by all the Chinese crap at the prices they were charging. I am not even sure all of the Magpul items are not PTS stuff being passed off as regular stuff. So, for me it is not worth driving out there and paying the $10 to look at overpriced items. It also disturbs me to see some of the people looking for guns with high capacity magazines.

geoney

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jun 1, 2011
    Lake Charles
    They are doing too many shows a year. The promoters are making their money on tables and entrance fees, but the quality of the shows have dropped. They should cut the shows in half.

O_R_B_1

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Jul 2, 2007
    New Orleans, La.
    hmmm...I didn't even know there was a show this weekend.

The drive plus $10 just to walk in the door to see the same ole stuff every show is too much for me, and I live on the WB.

Did they still have $1200 AR's and $900 WASR's?

XD-GEM

XD-GEM
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jun 8, 2008
    New Orleans
    I don't think they've been advertising the shows as well, either. That translates into fewer people attendeing, which leads to fewer vendors wanting to go.

Jack

Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Dec 9, 2010
    Covington

Clearly you're raising her right.

il_fullxfull.340022445.jpg

velociraptor

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 8, 2010
    Greater New Orleans Area
    In answer to the questions, in general I saw no real deals.

There were several vendors selling ARs at reasonable prices. One had an Olympic flat top (bottom of the line model) for $699 which is about right for this model. One table had a bunch of quality uppers and tricked out ARs with optics, etc. The tricked out ARs were listed at between $999 and $2,499 (note the higher end had obviously higher priced optics hence the $2,499 price).

Very very few AKs though. In fact I do not remember seeing one but I did not stay long. There were only two large ammo sellers but the prices were comparable to online prices(assuming you include S&H). There was even a very limited quantity of .22lr albeit at almost centerfire prices...you could buy a box of 50 for $6.99.

Lots of hand guns. Glock and Taurus were likely 50% of the population.

There was also a lot of empty space and very few people in attendance.

Last edited:

Lokin4AReason

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 6, 2013
    behind a desk ....
    i heard about the show and was thinking about goin ( some travel time involved tho )

but changed my mind on it

another thing that threw me away, was the admission/ entrance fee.

with that going up ( think it went up on the last show or the one before ) would put the table at a higher cost also ( seems to go together somehow )

something does not feel right about it w/ the replies that i am reading in the thread

JadeRaven

Oh Snap
    Rating - 100%
    60   0   0
    Sep 13, 2006
    Metairie
    Honestly the price of admission at $7 or whatever it was was too much for me.

When I can get the same goods delivered to my door for the same or better price than the show, it's just not worth my time and money to visit the show.

Even for firearms, entry for two people is now about the same price as a transfer fee I'd pay at an FFL for a gun I bought online. Shipping is a wash since many places offer free or low flat rate shipping on firearms.

Top Bottom