Kids first day at daycare. Sadwabbit

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • madwabbit

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 2, 2013
    Lafayette, LA
    So we've got a lot of heavy posts regarding riots, scandals, Israel, Ukraine... I figured I'd post this for something on the lighter side.

Today is my son's first day at daycare, he will be 2 in March. After visiting EVERY daycare facility and meeting a dozen teachers, we picked the one we wanted him to attend and enrolled him. They told us the first few days would be rough. Wife just dropped him off and said she's watching him on the camera and he's just sitting there bawling his eyes out. I told her its normal, don't go "rescue him", just go to work :)

Anyhow, it's just been him and mommy at home all day everyday so we're hoping this broadens his horizons. We're hoping that it encourages him to talk and gets him "socializing" with other kids as well. The teacher assured us that this would happen, and that after a week or two he will be looking forward to daycare and won't even want to leave when we go to pick him up. lol

Any parents that have been down this road care to chime in on what to expect after the first week or two of daycare?

deuxlatch

Airbus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 3, 2011
    Lafayette, La/Houston Tx.
    Been there, done that 3 times now. Welcome to the next phase of parenthood. If the staff is good he will adjust remarkably fast but give it at least 2 weeks and he will get accustomed to it. Unfortunately it never gets easier for the parent with each kid. At least not for me anyway.

1911Dave

Rating - 100%
    60   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Mandeville
    You did the right thing. I have a friend that is nuts and is keeping her kids out of daycare/playschool because she doesnt want her kids to get sick and all kinds of other nonsense. Those are the kids who will flip out in Kindergarten because they have never had any social skills nor have ever been left away from their parents. My son loved his school we put him in. It was 3 hours a day, 3 days a week for age two and then we did 6 hours a day every day for age 3 and 4. He loved his school and his teachers. Just started kindergarten this week. No anxiety or fears. Just went

Sully

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 1, 2012
    Sulphur
    Don't worry he will adjust once he figures it out...my two year old attends a daycare. Just sent my 5 year old to our catholic school Pre K. Mommy dropped him off at his catholic "big" school this am. He told Mommy "You don't have to walk me in today. I know where to go!" I got the phone call from the wife semi crying...He is growing up to fast :(

Bayouhunting

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 9, 2012
    Opelousas
    Definitely sucks man. I've got two boys that go to babysitter. It was rough for me and the wife as well as the boys for a few days, but now they love it. Sometimes the oldest even asks if he can go on the weekends. :) It only takes a few days for them to get used of it. And yes it definitely does them good to socialize and "leave the nest" for a while. Good luck to you and your family!

madwabbit

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 2, 2013
    Lafayette, LA
    lol yup. Check on the wife phone call crying.

I'm sure he will do fine. before long it'll be school. Time flies...

thanks for the comments guys. its not easy!

kingfhb

NRA & USCCA INST. w/ LSP#
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Mar 28, 2014
    New Orleans, LA
    What sucks is knowing that someone else spends more time with your kid every day than you do. I was lucky my mom was a stay-at-home mother.

2011Corvette

Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    May 27, 2011
    Louisiana Swamp (BR)
    When it was time to bring our first child (daughter) to the daycare for the first time my wife couldn't do it. She had me drop her off. I have to admit that was one of the hardest things I have ever done and yes - I cried on the way to work. Every day after that it got easier. All 3 of mine ended up loving the lady that kept them.

On a second note: Our first daughter (26 now) is married and expecting our first grandchild. She is due this Thursday. Please say some prayers for a good delivery. In my eyes she is still my little girl. They sure grow up fast. What a blessing they are.

Thanks

olivs260

Rating - 100%
    45   0   0
    Sep 23, 2009
    Geismar, LA
    I wish I could say it gets easier, but it doesn't. I dropped my little girl off for her first full day of kindergarten this morning, and she told me I didn't have to walk her in. We've been fighting a stomach virus all weekend, and sitting here at home on my work computer is tough...

madwabbit

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 2, 2013
    Lafayette, LA
    When it was time to bring our first child (daughter) to the daycare for the first time my wife couldn't do it. She had me drop her off. I have to admit that was one of the hardest things I have ever done and yes - I cried on the way to work. Every day after that it got easier. All 3 of mine ended up loving the lady that kept them.

On a second note: Our first daughter (26 now) is married and expecting our first grandchild. She is due this Thursday. Please say some prayers for a good delivery. In my eyes she is still my little girl. They sure grow up fast. What a blessing they are.

Thanks

ah congrats!! Thoughts and prayers for a healthy mom n baby.

madwabbit

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 2, 2013
    Lafayette, LA
    What sucks is knowing that someone else spends more time with your kid every day than you do. I was lucky my mom was a stay-at-home mother.

we did the stay at home thing for almost 2 years, and decided that he needs some socializing and some germs. Even if she wasn't working he'd go a couple days a week just to go. We were enrolling him for just a couple days a week when my wife was offered a job paying enough that just made this a no brainer. (Guess whose gun fund just went up?)

olivs260

Rating - 100%
    45   0   0
    Sep 23, 2009
    Geismar, LA
    Ahh, daycare germs. I've been blowing chunks all weekend thanks to our baby being moved to a different class in her daycare. When they say you will catch everything, they're not kidding.

Pas Tout La

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 12, 2012
    Droite La
    My boy is almost 3 and starts daycare in September. My mom is retired and has been watching him since he was born. It definitely helps us financially. My old man, who is a workaholic, actually makes sure he's around for lunch everyday to go see his little buddy and gets off early now to see him before I pick him up. My mom works with him during the day with all sorts of educational things and we do as well at night. The kid is smart, but we recently enrolled him in speech therapy because he's a bit behind on the talking and the therapist said one of the main reasons he's not talking much is because the lack of socializing with kids his age. He loves going to "school" and learning with the therapist. I'm actually excited about him starting daycare because I know he's going to love it and it will do him a world of good. My wife is due in December with our second child and we both say that we are going to put her in daycare a lot sooner than we did with our son.

madwabbit

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 2, 2013
    Lafayette, LA
    My boy is almost 3 and starts daycare in September. My mom is retired and has been watching him since he was born. It definitely helps us financially. My old man, who is a workaholic, actually makes sure he's around for lunch everyday to go see his little buddy and gets off early now to see him before I pick him up. My mom works with him during the day with all sorts of educational things and we do as well at night. The kid is smart, but we recently enrolled him in speech therapy because he's a bit behind on the talking and the therapist said one of the main reasons he's not talking much is because the lack of socializing with kids his age. He loves going to "school" and learning with the therapist. I'm actually excited about him starting daycare because I know he's going to love it and it will do him a world of good. My wife is due in December with our second child and we both say that we are going to put her in daycare a lot sooner than we did with our son.

Yeah we are hoping it encourages him to speak as well. His cousins all had a few words to say at 18-20months, so we're hoping he follows suit. I'm told that daycare will exponentially speed that process up.

Hitman

® ™
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Sep 4, 2008
    Lake Charles
    we did the stay at home thing for almost 2 years,
    and decided that he needs some socializing and some germs.

Man you sound like a young parent :p
    don't take that as an insult, it's not at all.

He's 2 man, no such thing as socialization now
    and germs? This is always an interesting topic.

Here's the Cycle you'll see over the next several years.

Get them around kids, allegedly for their immune system,
    then teach them to wash their hands all the time. lol

...and end up watching your kids get sick down the road anyway... :doh:

Then it goes back to protecting them whenever neighbors and family get sick
    by not allowing them to go over, or allowing others who are sick to bring their kids over. :dogkeke:

This cycle goes on in every family. You'll see. Hell I've seen all sorts of arguments started
    over parents who bought their sick kids to birthday parties and mention, "Yea little Jerry's been throwing up all week, but he's good now"
    ....and all the mothers do this > :squint:

But wait< I thought you wanted him exposed to germs?! See how 'interesting' the germ topic is? :p

-------------

Yeah we are hoping it encourages him to speak as well.
    His cousins all had a few words to say at 18-20months, so we're hoping he follows suit.
    I'm told that daycare will exponentially speed that process up.

Have no fear. We don't NEARLY have kids figured out bro. No where near,
    so when you read things about progression and where they should/could be,
    don't put too much thought into it. In fact, I've read that those who walk and talk the latest
    end up being some of the smartest down the road. Same with 'momma's boys' until school aged and after.

I got an example of one. My old Roomate in Ruston. Didn't walk until he was almost 2 years old.
    Got his PhD and is a professor in Charlotte by his mid 20's.

Don't compare them man. It'll drive you crazy. They all do things at different speeds.

But I've learned this....the more time you put into them, the more you'll get out.
    They are sponges whether we think so or not and what you say and do can
    dramatically shift how they think. Good or bad.

Last edited:
    Top Bottom