Kids first day at daycare. Sadwabbit

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Redd508

Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    May 18, 2012
    Lafayette
    If you need/want to use daycare then go for it. Its not a terrible thing. But as to social skills the best thing you can do is talk to your kids. We have 5 (all ours) kids and none were put in daycare and none have nor have they had socialization problems. In fact they seem to be better adjusted when they do start school. The coolest thing about being a parent is that you get to BE the parent. I dont want my 3 or 4 year old learning fom other 3 or 4 year olds. I want time to instill my ideals and values before they have to swim the cess pools of our public education system. Say what you will about teachers but their peers will be more influential about how they view things. I'd rather give them a foundation of understanding based in fact and reason so they can see thru the emotion driven arguments that they will have to deal with. Keep in mind that many of their classmates will be children of the "free ****" society. Keep a constant dialog going with junior, even at 2, and his understanding will develop over time. All 5 of ours talked at different ages. Some early and some later. Dont gauge yours by what others expect.

madwabbit

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 2, 2013
    Lafayette, LA
    If you need/want to use daycare then go for it. Its not a terrible thing. But as to social skills the best thing you can do is talk to your kids. We have 5 (all ours) kids and none were put in daycare and none have nor have they had socialization problems. In fact they seem to be better adjusted when they do start school. The coolest thing about being a parent is that you get to BE the parent. I dont want my 3 or 4 year old learning fom other 3 or 4 year olds. I want time to instill my ideals and values before they have to swim the cess pools of our public education system. Say what you will about teachers but their peers will be more influential about how they view things. I'd rather give them a foundation of understanding based in fact and reason so they can see thru the emotion driven arguments that they will have to deal with. Keep in mind that many of their classmates will be children of the "free ****" society. Keep a constant dialog going with junior, even at 2, and his understanding will develop over time. All 5 of ours talked at different ages. Some early and some later. Dont gauge yours by what others expect.

Without saying it so bluntly publicly, thats exactly why we specifically opted for a private daycare that didn't accomodate subsidized tuition. It's expensive, it has a christian agenda, and we know many of the families that attend. My rationale is that he will attend private school, why would I enroll him in public preschool?

And you're spot on with talking. I'd argue that having 5 kids that you got the "daycare" benefits at home, as opposed to a single child. (Best of both worlds imo) We read stories, have "conversations" and strongly encourage word usage. Every time we grab a toy we call it by its name. "Ball." "Dog" "Book"- and we really emphasize those single syllable words. He isn't being vocal yet, but he absolutely knows what it means when I say "want up?" (to pick him up) "are you hungry?" He says MMMMMM Da-Da-Da-Da. lol. We sing the same bedtime songs and read the same stories every night, and he hums when we sing and "baby babbles" while reading the book.

FWIW he's the youngest in his class and none of the boys say more than a word or two.

bjeepin2

Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 14, 2011
    Hickory, La
    sounds like you are on your way
    all this crying over kids sucks, just yesterday my younges (23) call on his lunch break just to say hi and see how i was doing. i know he was a little down and just needed to talk to dad. he dont like the job he is doing right now but it is a good job and he is learning lots. said he went out this weekend and got drunk with his friends. so i gave the safty speach again as i alway do. i ened the call with call your mom and tell her you love her.

madwabbit

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 2, 2013
    Lafayette, LA
    sounds like you are on your way
    all this crying over kids sucks, just yesterday my younges (23) call on his lunch break just to say hi and see how i was doing. i know he was a little down and just needed to talk to dad. he dont like the job he is doing right now but it is a good job and he is learning lots. said he went out this weekend and got drunk with his friends. so i gave the safty speach again as i alway do. i ened the call with call your mom and tell her you love her.

I tell everyone when the topic comes up - with today's technology, there is NO excuse. Skype your relatives, text a "good morning", or facebook their recent hobbies etc. If you can't stay in touch today, you aren't trying. One day you'll try and they won't be there...

Life is short guys. You'll trade 100 texts with a buddy about the football game. It'd take 10 seconds during a commercial to tell your mother/father/whoever "hey, just thinking about you."

On this subject, do you guys give your kids restricted cellphones so they can call you? Do schools even allow it?

Last edited:

olivs260

Rating - 100%
    45   0   0
    Sep 23, 2009
    Geismar, LA
    Without saying it so bluntly publicly, thats exactly why we specifically opted for a private daycare that didn't accomodate subsidized tuition. It's expensive, it has a christian agenda, and we know many of the families that attend. My rationale is that he will attend private school, why would I enroll him in public preschool?

This was our approach with both kids too. I'm not looking down on parents that put their children through the public school system, but we're making big sacrifices in order to use private schools.

FWIW he's the youngest in his class and none of the boys say more than a word or two.

Just personal experience- my older one (just turned 6 in June) is in her second year of kindergarten. Being the youngest kid in class can help to push them to mature faster, but sometimes they just need that extra year to grow. Nothing wrong with that, if that's how things go for y'all.

Redd508

Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    May 18, 2012
    Lafayette
    Sounds like you guys have this figured out. I didnt mean to come across bluntly, i just opt for the most direct route. On cell phones, we chose to wait until they're old enough to understand the use and responsibility of having one. My older 2 have them but the others arent ready. I've seen 4 yr olds with $300 phones but thats not how we roll.

On a side note i get what you're saying about the home daycare idea but they are far enough apart in age to be going thru the developmental stages at different times. The home dynamic is a little different.

Last edited:

madwabbit

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 2, 2013
    Lafayette, LA
    Sounds like you guys have this figured out. I didnt mean to come across bluntly, i just opt for the most direct route. On cell phones, we chose to wait until they're old enough to understand the use and responsibility of having one. My older 2 have them but the others arent ready. I've seen 4 yr olds with $300 phones but thats not how we roll.

lol no, I was thinking more along the lines of a 5 year old with a gophone that only dials parents or 911.

whitsend

-Global Mod-
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Sep 6, 2009
    Transylvania, LA
    lol no, I was thinking more along the lines of a 5 year old with a gophone that only dials parents or 911.

I don't know of any school that lets kids keep cellphones.
    My kids can bring them to school, but have to leave them at the front office until school is out.

If there is a problem, the school will call you.

madwabbit

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 2, 2013
    Lafayette, LA
    Okay as I consider it, 5 was an obnoxious age for me to throw out. 8-ish was more my thought process, no idea why I said 5. I'm thinking elementary school age. I know many schools have policies about them, but I personally like being able to reach family when I need to.

US Infidel

TRUST NO ONE
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jan 30, 2012
    Earth
    My kids have called me from class before. I never could have done that, not that we had cell phones way back then. But since they get A's (mostly) and my daughter graduated with honors and the others are taking prep classes, I don't mind. Phones are good if they wait for the bus or if your running late to pick them up; if they are mentally responsible enough. Just have them leave it off until they are out of class.

Last edited:

Pas Tout La

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 12, 2012
    Droite La
    Well today is our little man's first day at daycare. He did awesome! He was all smiles all the way to the classroom and telling everyone in the hallway "Hi!" He found a puzzle and sat at the table and started playing. We gave him a quick kiss and told him bye and he just waved to us never taking his eyes off of his puzzle. The teacher was impressed how well he did being as he's never been away from family. Now momma on the other hand............. She should not have worn eye liner! When he waved bye I could see her heart break. She was able to compose herself just long enough to make it out the door so little man wouldn't see her crying. I'm guessing all of the hormones from being pregnant isn't helping her either. I wouldn't be surprised if she is still sitting in the parking lot right now.

madwabbit

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 2, 2013
    Lafayette, LA
    Well today is our little man's first day at daycare. He did awesome! He was all smiles all the way to the classroom and telling everyone in the hallway "Hi!" He found a puzzle and sat at the table and started playing. We gave him a quick kiss and told him bye and he just waved to us never taking his eyes off of his puzzle. The teacher was impressed how well he did being as he's never been away from family. Now momma on the other hand............. She should not have worn eye liner! When he waved bye I could see her heart break. She was able to compose herself just long enough to make it out the door so little man wouldn't see her crying. I'm guessing all of the hormones from being pregnant isn't helping her either. I wouldn't be surprised if she is still sitting in the parking lot right now.

lol! glad to hear he's doing well. Mine followed suit - runs to hug the teacher and just nods at my wife like "yup, you're dismissed."

she cries every morning lol

Top Bottom