Laser Bore Sighter??

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • elvspec

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 29, 2014
    Madisonville, LA
    Was wondering if anyone had experience and/or comments about laser bore sighters. Specifically the type that fits into the muzzle and has the plastic arbors that are supposed to align the unit with the caliber of the barrel.

I bought a Bushnell brand type and I think its junk. The light is in no way aligned with the bore. If you rotate the unit in the bore it makes a big circle around the target which tells me its not centering with the bore, which is what the arbors are supposed to help it do.

I'm wondering if the Laserlyte brand is any better is this type of bore sighter not dependable period.

Any comments would be appreciated.

BlueHeaven

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 16, 2014
    Kenner, La
    I have two kinds. The one you have that sits on the end of the barrel like yours and another in the shape of a cartridge that goes in the chamber. They are not meant to be perfect. They just get you on the paper target at least. You have to fine tune your sight from that point.

ajridgedell

Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 9, 2015
    Loranger, La
    I use the sitelite sl-100. Gets it on paper at 100 yards. I had a good experience with customer service too. The switch was broke in the box when I opened it, called them on a saturday, and was surprised to actually be talking with the owner/president/founder (idk what his "title" was) and had a new one in right away. Looks and feels very well made too.

elvspec

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 29, 2014
    Madisonville, LA
    I have two kinds. The one you have that sits on the end of the barrel like yours and another in the shape of a cartridge that goes in the chamber. They are not meant to be perfect. They just get you on the paper target at least. You have to fine tune your sight from that point.

Thanks. I understand the purpose of the sighter/ This thing however wouldn't even get me on paper. If I rotate it in the barrel the light could end up anywhere, as in 15' off the paper. Seems like if its rotated it should stay in the same position.

- - - Updated - - -

I use the sitelite sl-100. Gets it on paper at 100 yards. I had a good experience with customer service too. The switch was broke in the box when I opened it, called them on a saturday, and was surprised to actually be talking with the owner/president/founder (idk what his "title" was) and had a new one in right away. Looks and feels very well made too.

I'll check out the sitelite. Thanks

Geauxfish

Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 18, 2013
    Baton Rouge
    I'm not sure if the name brand but was a cheap one with decent reviews that I bought. Unfortunately, I have the same experience that you had. I tried it in .44, .308. 45, 5.56 and it was way off for all. I have a friend who had good experience with his so it might just be that I got a lemon.

I have had good luck with the caliber specific ones shaped like a cartridge. Of course each one is about $20-$30.

Request Dust Off

Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Feb 11, 2007
    Westbank N.O.
    Well, I'd like to use it for all of my rifles but right now I'm trying to sight in a 35 Whelen H&R Handi Rifle.

I would just bore sight by eye whenever possible. I and a friend played with laser bore sighters once. Not worth it to me. (or him)

It is almost as easy to just shoot close and then move it out than to use a bore sighter.

On a lot of my stuff If I just center things up on install the initial shots are close to being on center and you have to adjust elevation anyway.

GBob01

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 29, 2007
    the northshore
    If this is the style you're talking about,
    opplanet-laserlyte-mini-laser-bore-sight-mbs-1-01.jpg

I've never had a good experience with them. They do make good laser pointers though, and you can mess with your cat.

BigP623

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 27, 2014
    Lacombe, LA
    I used mine once and threw it away. No matter how much I messed with it, when rotated in the barrel it was making a 2' circle on the wall across my living room. Even after I thought I found the "sweet spot" it was still not on the paper at 50 yards when brought to the range. Next time Im going to try a bore sighter that goes in the bore like a dummy round. For my bolt guns I use the old method of looking down the bore and aligning to get on paper. Only used laser for my ar's.

VeedUp

Gold Member
    Rating - 100%
    54   0   0
    Oct 15, 2007
    Destrehan, La.
    I would just bore sight by eye whenever possible. I and a friend played with laser bore sighters once. Not worth it to me. (or him)

It is almost as easy to just shoot close and then move it out than to use a bore sighter.

On a lot of my stuff If I just center things up on install the initial shots are close to being on center and you have to adjust elevation anyway.

pretty much what I have done and it works.

LCPL 4

Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Jun 30, 2007
    Badger Free Zone
    Used one in the past and it worked well enough to get on paper and adjusted from there. Batteries dead now cause scottish terriers can't stand the evil red dot either. It's either a problem in seating or the head is misaligned.

Seating - Plastic insert has to be snug enough to keep it centered. Too loose? Are you up against the crown or against a break or flashider that could be throwing it off? I'd try to rule out seating as much as possible (other rifles, etc. ) before considering misalignment.

Misaligned - The head may have been knocked off of alignment during shipping, etc. If I remember correctly, the little allen screws as shown in the picture above are used to adjust the laser alignment if you have such problems.

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    dpoirier63
    Top Bottom