Lawsuit Against Louisiana

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Whitebread

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Aug 3, 2015
    near by
    If you have strong enough credit and you are not at fault, don't pay it!

If those Louisiana plates were supposed to be turned back into the state, and you just assumed you were covered but that didn't happen; you are pissing up a dangling rope for empathy.

However if you are still unsure; it really boils down to a ball being in your court with the only choices being; Should I be a dirt bag or not?

As for the smear on Louisiana? It has it's faults. But you would be hard pressed to find many states with gun laws as liberal as ours. And I only use gun laws as an example because this is not a thieves in politics discussion board. :p

Can I summarize for you?

There are much worse places to live. :hi5:

Barry J

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 5, 2011
    Thibodaux
    Still trying to figure out where the extortion and harassment come form. Sounds like he traded in a vehicle and the dealer neglected to turn in the plate. That's kind of the law. Don't matter if it was ten or twenty years ago. If it's not taken care of, Louisiana can call the state that has your current license and suspend that license.

Craig

Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Apr 23, 2007
    Denham Springs
    I have no comment about lawsuits and corruption, or the wonderful people of our state, but will add my experience to the discussion.

Last week I received a letter about a coverage lapse in 2013. This was the first notice that I received. The state said I had dropped coverage on a motorcycle in July 2013, nine months after I bought it.

I have a few bikes on one policy, and the insurance comes up every January so the July date didn't seem right. I called the insurance company, and they were able to look that far back and see no lapse at all. I asked if there was a memo, claim, or anything at all. There was none.

I went to the OMV and had my insurance company fax over the proof of insurance for the entire year of 2013. After the lady behind the counter received proof, she told me I still owed a lesser amount because there was still a flag on my record. According to them, they sent out a notice in 2013 and I should have taken care of it then. (I never received a notice)

She said I was going to have to pay because the computer still showed where I cancelled my policy and had a lapse.

I told her I wasn't prepared to pay that day and I didn't understand why I still owed money after providing proof.

She was adamant that I owed money and there was no way out.

Then I asked her if she could see on the computer that I had insurance when I registered it.(I was going to provide proof of uninterrupted coverage from that day).
    Then she looked again at the computer typed a few things and said "oh wait, I think you found a loophole".

Apparently the previous owner kept insurance on the bike for several months after I bought it. When his policy was canceled/ended it threw up the flag and somehow it was attached to me. They were actually showing that I still had no insurance on the bike.

I can only assume when I initially registered it, the OMV "attached" the wrong policy to me. I don't know how the system works.

I got a letter from them stating I had coverage with no lapse from the time I registered the bike until the day I was in their office and no fine was owed

It cost me a few hours of work...

LACamper

oldbie
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jun 3, 2007
    Metairie, LA
    The system doesn't work. A letter saying you had coverage doesn't solve the problem. It has to account for that particular day. They've made it very difficult to clear these flags now.

I'm trying to fix one for someone right now. A dealership sold her a car. From what I can put together, the same dealer sold a similar car to someone else and gave them the wrong VIN. It matches my client's VIN. The other guy let his insurance lapse twice. Guess who got the flags... We can't clear them because we didn't put them there and there was a cancellation on those dates... idiots.

JWG223

Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Aug 16, 2011
    Shreveport
    If you have strong enough credit and you are not at fault, don't pay it!
    That would be some seriously beefy credit to not drop below 740 with something going to claims!

If those Louisiana plates were supposed to be turned back into the state, and you just assumed you were covered but that didn't happen; you are pissing up a dangling rope for empathy.
    It didn't matter, and it was BS. When they passed me on to the higher office, they didn't care what happened to the plates, and told me as much.

However if you are still unsure; it really boils down to a ball being in your court with the only choices being; Should I be a dirt bag or not?
    The issue is handled.

As for the smear on Louisiana? It has it's faults. But you would be hard pressed to find many states with gun laws as liberal as ours. And I only use gun laws as an example because this is not a thieves in politics discussion board. :p
    When I was living there, I had multiple dealers from out of state say things like "You're worse than California". However, the abolition of the LA tax registry or whatever it was called did help with some of that. That said, what angered me most about LA was how they a)were the lynch-pin vote in the UHC laws (Thanks, Landreu!), and b) How they can't manage ANYTHING effectively if it involves money. The state is just completely inept. This thread is more evidence of the same.

After hours on the phone, and bothering my insurance agent to AGAIN provide the same info they provided 6 months ago, this issue is allegedly put to bed...the same as it was 6 months ago. *sigh*. We will see...but I hope that's it.

JWG223

Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Aug 16, 2011
    Shreveport
    The system doesn't work. A letter saying you had coverage doesn't solve the problem. It has to account for that particular day. They've made it very difficult to clear these flags now.

I'm trying to fix one for someone right now. A dealership sold her a car. From what I can put together, the same dealer sold a similar car to someone else and gave them the wrong VIN. It matches my client's VIN. The other guy let his insurance lapse twice. Guess who got the flags... We can't clear them because we didn't put them there and there was a cancellation on those dates... idiots.

I did indeed account for it. It was an extortionist move on LA's part. I countered it because I was lucky enough to have State Farm, and they keep very good records. Some people call it whining. I call it complaining about an un-just, disorganized, poorly disguised attempt to extort law-abiding citizens. Yeah, I'm going to "whine" about that.

JWG223

Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Aug 16, 2011
    Shreveport
    To the OP's defense; The .gov of LA is and has been extremely corrupt.

I really don't need defense from anyone on this board. Defense from the state of LA would be nice, lol! Of course, the people here who wanted to ban me work for the state of LA, as I recall, unless I am mistaken, lol!

JWG223

Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Aug 16, 2011
    Shreveport
    Still trying to figure out where the extortion and harassment come form. Sounds like he traded in a vehicle and the dealer neglected to turn in the plate. That's kind of the law. Don't matter if it was ten or twenty years ago. If it's not taken care of, Louisiana can call the state that has your current license and suspend that license.
    The letter was not about the plates. IT was about insurance, which never lapsed. They continued to harass me even after I provided proof 6 months ago.
    I told them I didn't have a clue about the plates. They didn't care. My record is cleared, and they swear I will not hear from them again.

I was unaware that LA could suspend licenses in other states. Even more abuse of power.

Old_Demon

Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Apr 24, 2009
    Ponchatoula
    I was unaware that LA could suspend licenses in other states. Even more abuse of power.

About 20 years ago my license in Louisiana was suspended because of a speeding ticket in Arkansas that was allegedly unpaid (it was paid). Spent about 2 hours at the DMV getting it straightened out because of the abuse of power of Arkansas.

Wait, didn't you move to Arkansas????? Expect the same from every state you move to, it's not exclusive to Louisiana.

Barry J

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 5, 2011
    Thibodaux
    I was unaware that LA could suspend licenses in other states. .

Louisiana can't suspend you license in another state, they can ask that state to suspend your license for fines owed to Louisiana. It's called the Non-resident Violators Compact.

JWG223

Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Aug 16, 2011
    Shreveport
    About 20 years ago my license in Louisiana was suspended because of a speeding ticket in Arkansas that was allegedly unpaid (it was paid). Spent about 2 hours at the DMV getting it straightened out because of the abuse of power of Arkansas.

Wait, didn't you move to Arkansas????? Expect the same from every state you move to, it's not exclusive to Louisiana.
    Did they mail out letters to 1.2 million other people as well, or was this a singular error....trend vs. incident.

JWG223

Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Aug 16, 2011
    Shreveport
    Well the good news is he's no longer receiving Bayoushooter emails. The fault was the dealership's not the state's. This thread is very silly.

No it wasnt. The plates never mattered or the dealer handled it. It was insurance that was the issue. I have cleared it up for the second time, now. Letter from LA DMV to prove it.

Robhic

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 7, 2011
    Destrehan, LA
    If it's any solace, Col. Edmonson of the LASPolice said it was pretty screwed up and was in the process of being handled a bit better with a bunch more phone lines and personnel added, working more hours to try and sort it out. Didn't pay attention because it doesn't involve me but I did hear the State Police Colonel talking about the problem on TV a day or so ago if it makes you feel better.

Emperor

Seriously Misunderstood!
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 7, 2011
    Nether region
    When I was living there, I had multiple dealers from out of state say things like "You're worse than California". However, the abolition of the LA tax registry or whatever it was called did help with some of that. That said, what angered me most about LA was how they a)were the lynch-pin vote in the UHC laws (Thanks, Landreu!), and b) How they can't manage ANYTHING effectively if it involves money. The state is just completely inept. This thread is more evidence of the same.

That vote was not from Louisiana! That was hers and hers alone, and she paid the ultimate and most feared price for thumbing her elitist nose at the citizens of the state; she was thrown out! And guess for what? Her role in that law. I'd say Louisiana responded exactly the way it was supposed to on that. Now unfortunately for everyone, her prohibition against lobbying after serving in Congress is up next year, so you can bet that POS will be up there stealing and f**cking things up again.

As for the ineptitude of these scumbag politicians mismanaging money? The only person that I trust in this state with ANY money whatsoever is John Kennedy (The Treasurer). Every single one of the rest of them are thieving slugs. But keep tabs on the fiscal issues of this state; the bill is due next year for years of overspending. It is already projected to be over 600 million in deficits BEFORE anything gets considered. That should be a hoot!

If John Bel Edwards is elected Governor, you can expect higher taxes and zero spending cuts. If Vitter is elected, at least you get a true budget reformer and spending cutter. There is something to be said about a politician that puts his name as author on Bills in Congress that all other politicians are against because it affects their ability to stay in power and continue to steal easily. Vitter's reform and term limit bills didn't have a chance, but he at least put them out there.

As for this thread deteriorating into stupidity? You started it! :mamoru:

Emperor

Seriously Misunderstood!
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 7, 2011
    Nether region
    If it's any solace, Col. Edmonson of the LASPolice said it was pretty screwed up and was in the process of being handled a bit better with a bunch more phone lines and personnel added, working more hours to try and sort it out. Didn't pay attention because it doesn't involve me but I did hear the State Police Colonel talking about the problem on TV a day or so ago if it makes you feel better.

Depends on your perspective. I think this is more about the overload of people actually trying to pay the money that is the impetus for them working more hours. If state offices and officials really cared about the affects their hours have on the citizenry, they would be open on Saturday's and Sundays so working people wouldn't have to take time off of REAL jobs to pay the extortion fees we are forced by law to pay.

dirty dan

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 24, 2012
    Denham Springs, LA
    I still don't understand what the state did wrong.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Well for one they are accusing people of guilt attached to a civil fine; And you're required to spend time and money prove your innocence instead of the State having to prove your guilt (as provided in our constitution). I received a demand letter from these idiots for my son (that moved to South America before his insurance lapsed). There is no law that you have to report you are moving to the state of Louisiana. It's nothing more than a money grab via the Louisiana State Police. Good luck getting your children interested in moving back home.

Top Bottom