LEO disarms soldier illegally

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Wagon_Master

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 5, 2009
    This will probably get me banned but........"were allowed to we are exempt from the law".......Classic.

madwabbit

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 2, 2013
    Lafayette, LA
    thats not even the worst part to me. thats a slam dunk in court.

the worst to me was "Is every citizen with a gun dangerous?" "I have a chp" Officers Answer: "Yes."

That... very much concerns me. If that mentality is shared amongst our friendly neighborhood leo's, then the tin-foil basement dwellers are about to declare victory.

aroundlsu

Bayou Photo Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Dec 21, 2007
    Baton Rouge
    If that happened in Baton Rouge the guy would have been immediately tasered or shot after not being compliant with the first order.

SVT

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 4, 2012
    Slidell
    Nothing to see here folks...The OP is just the typical cop hating, tin foil hat wearing, wussy...seriously, I wholeheartedly nuthug law enforcement.

:run:

kidding of course OP

George

Don't tase me bro!
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Sep 18, 2006
    Denham springs
    I think its pretty shitty on the soliders part. People like him have been doing this lately just to get a rise out of people and leos. I dont not agree that he was arrested. But there is nonlaw that says a leo can not stop and talk to someone. If hes carrying thwn ask if he can give upmjis weaoon while they talk. Check to see if the weapon is stolen or is he has warrants or is a convicted felon. If hes good to go then give his stuff back and go on.

Thia video leaves a lot out. Were the police dispacthed? If so then under good faith and other supreme court ruligs they can stop and talk with him. If he refusing tonstoos and keeps walking then yes he is resisting. Theres a lot we dont know and I wish stuff like this would give more back story or even a final result

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I727 using Tapatalk 2

blitztech

Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Apr 3, 2012
    Houston
    I watched about 6 & a half minutes of the video before I had completely sided with the cops. The soldier is being a belligerent jerk. He should've announced he had a conceal carry permit the moment they stopped him.

The cop may have been a little over aggressive and probably should've handled the situation differently from the get go, but if someone he doesn't know has a firearm he has no way of knowing if this guy is a threat or not. Most cops that are killed by a firearm in the line of duty never even have a chance BC the person is a fleeing felon and starts shooting without warning. A different approach from both parties could've gone a long way. Keep in mind I didn't watch past 6.5 min of it. Just my 2 cent

Silver03gt

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 17, 2013
    Harvey, LA
    I watched about 6 & a half minutes of the video before I had completely sided with the cops. The soldier is being a belligerent jerk. He should've announced he had a conceal carry permit the moment they stopped him.

The cop may have been a little over aggressive and probably should've handled the situation differently from the get go, but if someone he doesn't know has a firearm he has no way of knowing if this guy is a threat or not. Most cops that are killed by a firearm in the line of duty never even have a chance BC the person is a fleeing felon and starts shooting without warning. A different approach from both parties could've gone a long way. Keep in mind I didn't watch past 6.5 min of it. Just my 2 cent

I have to agree with everything you said.

Mayonnaise

Not in the fridge
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 29, 2012
    Baton Rouge
    Thia video leaves a lot out. Were the police dispacthed? If so then under good faith and other supreme court ruligs they can stop and talk with him. If he refusing tonstoos and keeps walking then yes he is resisting. Theres a lot we dont know and I wish stuff like this would give more back story or even a final result /QUOTE]

I'm confused. Why would he have to stop and talk to the police? If he had ignored the officer and kept on walking that would be resisting? Or am I misunderstanding? I always thought there had to be probable cause to detain someone or terry stop them. Simply having a gun is not sufficient probable cause. Or maybe I'm way off? I dunno. Oh, and they are both assholes.

nolaradio

Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 8, 2012
    Parts unknown
    I don't agree with how the soldier reacted and I don't agree with how the cops were acting either.
    That being said, I usually don't have time to be stopped and questioned by law enforcement much less have the time to get myself arrested. I may have the right to openly carry here in Louisiana, but I choose not to in order to keep from having to deal with the BS that comes along with it. If I wanted to teach the law to ignorant people, I would have become a civics teacher.
    More power to you that openly carry.

Emperor

Seriously Misunderstood!
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 7, 2011
    Nether region
    Regardless of how you feel about these encounters, the progression is to look at guns as the potential problem at the onset. The recent theme is to assume there is a problem because a firearm is involved. This sentiment of firearms becoming a public nuisance is starting to grow. I believe that this is a planned strategy and part of the anti-gun playbook.

LACamper

oldbie
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jun 3, 2007
    Metairie, LA
    Why must they always be complete douches!

If he wasn't a complete douche then he probably wouldn't have been arrested and the video wouldn't be on to be discussed.

OTOH, the cops handled that poorly. The douche will probably be riding a new motorcycle soon. Him being a douche does not give them the right... Lets face it, LEO's deal with complete douches all the time.

madwabbit

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 2, 2013
    Lafayette, LA
    If he wasn't a complete douche then he probably wouldn't have been arrested and the video wouldn't be on to be discussed.

OTOH, the cops handled that poorly. The douche will probably be riding a new motorcycle soon. Him being a douche does not give them the right... Lets face it, LEO's deal with complete douches all the time.

this is more my opinion. yes, hes a douche, but being a douche is not illegal. in LEO's defense, i'd like to think that for every video like this that hits youtube there are probably a dozen situations that ended with a "thank you sir, have a nice day". Not sure if true, if not please don't ruin my fairy tale. lol My guff lies entirely on two statements made by the officers. 1) yes we are exempt from the law 2) yes, citizens with firearms are a threat.

I'm not anti-LEO, many of my good friends are leo's of some form. I am against the rights of americans being infringed by a law enforcement agency that doesn't clearly understand the laws they set out to enforce. Is it a training issue? A questionable judgement call?

And to answer some questions: the officer states that he was dispatched via a public complaint regarding a man with a rifle walking down the road, he wasn't just driving by and decided to end his evening on youtube.

tikanni

Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    May 22, 2011
    Metairie, LA
    this is more my opinion. yes, hes a douche, but being a douche is not illegal. in LEO's defense, i'd like to think that for every video like this that hits youtube there are probably a dozen situations that ended with a "thank you sir, have a nice day". Not sure if true, if not please don't ruin my fairy tale. lol My guff lies entirely on two statements made by the officers. 1) yes we are exempt from the law 2) yes, citizens with firearms are a threat.
    I'm not anti-LEO, many of my good friends are leo's of some form. I am against the rights of americans being infringed by a law enforcement agency that doesn't clearly understand the laws they set out to enforce. Is it a training issue? A questionable judgement call?

And to answer some questions: the officer states that he was dispatched via a public complaint regarding a man with a rifle walking down the road, he wasn't just driving by and decided to end his evening on youtube.

In the officer's eyes, he is a threat. How would he know what this guy is going to do? The officer doesn't know if the guy will open fire on him. What would you do if you were a LEO, and responsed to a call about a guy walking around with a AR-15?

Emperor

Seriously Misunderstood!
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 7, 2011
    Nether region
    In the officer's eyes, he is a threat. How would he know what this guy is going to do? The officer doesn't know if the guy will open fire on him. What would you do if you were a LEO, and responsed to a call about a guy walking around with a AR-15?

He wouldn't! And the line is blurry, but we in the country and our LE community are slowly moving away from acknowledging what is legal to do and on the books to what is perceived as a threat just because a firearm is involved.

Somewhere we need to strike a balance.

madwabbit

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 2, 2013
    Lafayette, LA

the guys you have to worry about aren't the guys that state "officer i have a weapon"...

Top Bottom