Lint / dirt / anything ever get in your carry gun?

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • LACamper

oldbie
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jun 3, 2007
    Metairie, LA
    I carry my 26 IWB and it gets so dusty. On the part of the gun that is out of the holster it gets layered in dust. I use to have an issue with flaky deodorant getting on it and I switched brands.

QUOTE]

LOL! The gun does NOT go in your underarm! Well, not if you're using a pocket holster anyway....

The P3AT gets de-linted about every other week. Mainly around the hammer (striker?)

Psychosomatic

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 1, 2010
    Metairie
    Disgusting TASTING residue???? Uh... unless one licks their gat, how can this be a problem???

I've been using the ten ounce cans of "3M Dust Remover" for quite a while now. I'll confess to not having a clue how this stuff TASTES, but it certainly has no odor or tangible residue, disgusting or otherwise.

Lint-free pockets, eh? New one on me... what WILL they think of next?

Let me try to elaborate, lets say your gun is in your pocket and you have just dusted it off earlier that day. Now lets say you are sitting down eating ribs when someone comes in to rob you. Once said robber has been taken care of and you sit back down to finish your meal while waiting for the authorities, your meal will be ruined due to the residue that has rubbed off onto your hands from when you touched your gun :mamoru:.

The point being you dont need to lick your gun to taste it, if you touch your gun or whatever you happened to use the spray on and then proceed to put your finger ANYWHERE near your mouth you will get a nifty surprise. Also the fact that it leaves any residue at all also throws me off about it since I use to use it all the time on computer components.

~Psycho

m4a34u

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 17, 2009
    Erath
    A good friend of my Dad was loading up a deer feeder with corn, a couple of days later he was cleaning his LCP and found a kernal of corn lodged in the barrel..... :mamoru:

Sin-ster

GM of 4 Letter Outbursts
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    I tend to shoot my EDC twice a month (minimum), and end up blasting and cleaning away all of the internal dust and lint in that manner. I also have the added benefit of being very familiar with the weapon I trust daily with my life.

What's hard to account for is the "residue". I'm guessing it's a combination of sweat and skin, as I get it on my G17 (that gets shot twice a week) in a couple of places. While a post-shooting paper towel wipe down solves the issue on the Glock, my M&P has stippling that traps and holds the stuff. It actually requires a gentle solvent (plastic safe) and brush to get it all out, which I don't do very often. I figure the gun is a work horse, the internals control function (and are cleaned regularly) and anything else is just a matter of aesthetics.

I did reset a roll pin in it today that had walked after being removed for a trigger job and ~1500 rounds, including some +p. The few millimeters of the hole that were exposed had collected a lot of nastiness-- it needed a good scraping.

leVieux

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 9, 2008
    New Orleans
    Again thanks for the responses!

OK cool. So I'm getting the idea that LESS oil is better. The minimum to keep rust away. Maybe even a dry lubricant? What about car/truck guns... same problems?

Get someone knowledgeable to show you where to put a little lube.You shouldn't be able to feel or see oil on the outer surfaces.

leVieux

JadeRaven

Oh Snap
    Rating - 100%
    60   0   0
    Sep 13, 2006
    Metairie
    I get a lot of lint around the trigger, trigger guard etc of my G26 that I carry OWB. Occasionally I'll take it out of the holster and blow out a little of the lint, wipe it down with an old shirt or something. But I pretty much expect my GLAWK to work all the time, lint, dirt, whatever :)

Tulse Luper

Besmirched!
    Rating - 100%
    64   0   0
    Oct 29, 2008
    Metairie
    Just completed some simple surgery on my USPc. I swapped out the mag release for a larger one. When I dropped the mag to begin the work, I noticed some sort of potato product smashed between the floor plate and the edge of the magwell. I've never used my carry gun to eat potatoes.

spanky

Gold Member
    Rating - 100%
    141   0   0
    Sep 12, 2006
    Gonzales, LA
    Just completed some simple surgery on my USPc. I swapped out the mag release for a larger one. When I dropped the mag to begin the work, I noticed some sort of potato product smashed between the floor plate and the edge of the magwell. I've never used my carry gun to eat potatoes.

You're missing out.

leVieux

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 9, 2008
    New Orleans
    Get the bigger cans (in a six-pack) from Sam's... LOTS cheaper.

But this is an excellent idea that many folks follow. Your pistol will get VERY "linty" over the course of being carried. Using the canned air to blow the lint away (daily) means you won't have dust bunnies collecting in the nooks and crannies.

Thanks, LSP !

Tulse Luper

Besmirched!
    Rating - 100%
    64   0   0
    Oct 29, 2008
    Metairie
    What??? Wait a minute... did I miss something? I thought you were the poster child for the P30 and the Spiderman grip?????

Also, check to make sure you didn't mash the catch spring when you re-installed it. That is easy to do and not notice it.

Or so I've been told...:p

I carry a USPc. That Spidy Man grip would sand through to my appendix in less than a day. Only skinnies carry that thing. HOWEVER! Today at 12:00pm I will be meeting with someone who may put that problem to bed for me. The Stipple man cometh! Then I need to contact RM to get him a mold. I figured one of you cats would have done that already, but I guess it's on me. I've only carried it in a Mitch Rosen to date.

When you say mashed, do you mean so much that the spring looses its rebound. I had no problem reassembling it, and it functions. It's that enough to know I didn't mash it.

Last edited:
    Top Bottom